• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Perfect example of the right words without the right attitude

NS4Liberty

Male

This video is from the congregation I grew up in. In class last night they discussed 1 Peter 3 and the order in the household. It is a perfect example of what I was taught but more importantly HOW I was taught it. The preacher says the right things from scripture, but the application is softened with jokes about husbands sleeping outside, or being afraid to speak with his wife present, and caveats about "just wait until we get to the men." I'm going to reach out to the preacher and my Dad and see if I can get him to understand the how is just as important as the what when teaching on this topic. This type of teaching is how I became a feminist without even knowing it.

This video is from the congregation I grew up in. In class last night they discussed 1 Peter 3 and the order in the household. It is a perfect example of what I was taught but more importantly HOW I was taught it. The preacher says the right things from scripture, but the application is softened with jokes about husbands sleeping outside, or being afraid to speak with his wife present, and caveats about "just wait until we get to the men." I'm going to reach out to the preacher and my Dad and see if I can get him to understand the how is just as important as the what when teaching on this topic. This type of teaching is how I became a feminist without even knowing it.
I found it interesting how many comments the preacher took from the people. There were obviously constructive points they made, which is really good. Unfortunately he spoke frequently about what he thinks and believes, and he used a lot of personal experience to teach. Better to use the examples God has given as Paul points out in e.g. 1 Cor. 10:6, 11. Jesus repeatedly used the question, "Have you not read?" to point to the scriptural foundations for the truth He taught.

Thanks for the link.

Back