• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Plead the case of the widow and orphan

DustinM

Male
I was listening to a sermon a few days ago on Isaiah 1, and just kept hearing "defend the widow, the orphan, the fatherless" ... While the sermon was mainly focused on abortion, I felt the need to present something in the chat that would at least get some folks to think.

In the live chat there were around 300 folks, so I simply posed the question:

"What is a way we can plead the case of the widow, and her orphans today...?" I presented the scenario of a mid 30's widow with 2 children, who wants to join a family of a man who has 1 wife already, the first wife is barren and unable to have children, but they would gladly take her in as a 2nd wife and give the children a father.

I asked the chat who would be generally more accepted and supported today in most churches, the women who have chosen to have abortions, or the woman who chose to join a family as a 2nd wife.

Responses were the usual you'd expect, along with trying to figure out if I was a Muslim, FLDS, or in some cult, while telling them I am a Christian multiple times.

"why not just adopt, why do you need to have a 2nd wife?" (Possible sure, but that was not the case here, so abandon the mother, and take just the children... hmm)
"why do you need to marry her, just take care of her until she can find a husband!" (She already did find a husband... why does she have to find a single one and try to compete in an already limited pool with single/childless younger women, and have to choose from unproven men?)
"why can't you just take care of her, she doesn't need to be your wife!" (Because she needs a husband, and the children need a father... Why is it ok to do everything as a husband except you know, be a full husband?)

Many folks would seem to rather the widow and her children spend years or, endlessly search for a good man, all in order to avoid the simple and God honoring solution of her being taken in by a proven man, who simply already has 1 wife, all based on a lie that it is sinful. The enemy has done a great job convincing people of the righteousness of their beliefs on this, that's for sure.

So the irony is while he's preaching on Isaiah 1 where God seems just sick and tired of their solemn worship while ignoring the iniquities among them and doing nothing, here these Christians are actively working against the widow and orphans in order to continue to serve false gods and tradition. It's frustrating, by my hope is that while 10-15 of them were vicious, someone in the 300 or so got the message and will seek the truth.

13 “Bring your worthless offerings no longer,
Incense is an abomination to Me.
New moon and sabbath, the calling of assemblies—
I cannot endure iniquity and the solemn assembly.

“I hate your new moon festivals and your appointed feasts
They have become a burden to Me;
I am weary of bearing them.

15 “So when you spread out your hands in prayer,
I will hide My eyes from you;
Yes, even though you multiply prayers,
I will not listen.
Your hands are covered with blood.

16 “Wash yourselves, make yourselves clean;
Remove the evil of your deeds from My sight.
Cease to do evil,

17 Learn to do good;
Seek justice,
Reprove the ruthless,
Defend the orphan,
Plead for the widow.

How the faithful city has become a harlot,
She who was full of justice!
Righteousness once lodged in her,
But now murderers.

22 Your silver has become dross,
Your drink diluted with water.

23 Your rulers are rebels
And companions of thieves;
Everyone loves a bribe
And chases after rewards.
They do not defend the orphan,
Nor
does the widow’s plea come before them.

I was listening to a sermon a few days ago on Isaiah 1, and just kept hearing "defend the widow, the orphan, the fatherless" ... While the sermon was mainly focused on abortion, I felt the need to present something in the chat that would at least get some folks to think.

In the live chat there were around 300 folks, so I simply posed the question:

"What is a way we can plead the case of the widow, and her orphans today...?" I presented the scenario of a mid 30's widow with 2 children, who wants to join a family of a man who has 1 wife already, the first wife is barren and unable to have children, but they would gladly take her in as a 2nd wife and give the children a father.

I asked the chat who would be generally more accepted and supported today in most churches, the women who have chosen to have abortions, or the woman who chose to join a family as a 2nd wife.

Responses were the usual you'd expect, along with trying to figure out if I was a Muslim, FLDS, or in some cult, while telling them I am a Christian multiple times.

"why not just adopt, why do you need to have a 2nd wife?" (Possible sure, but that was not the case here, so abandon the mother, and take just the children... hmm)
"why do you need to marry her, just take care of her until she can find a husband!" (She already did find a husband... why does she have to find a single one and try to compete in an already limited pool with single/childless younger women, and have to choose from unproven men?)
"why can't you just take care of her, she doesn't need to be your wife!" (Because she needs a husband, and the children need a father... Why is it ok to do everything as a husband except you know, be a full husband?)

Many folks would seem to rather the widow and her children spend years or, endlessly search for a good man, all in order to avoid the simple and God honoring solution of her being taken in by a proven man, who simply already has 1 wife, all based on a lie that it is sinful. The enemy has done a great job convincing people of the righteousness of their beliefs on this, that's for sure.

So the irony is while he's preaching on Isaiah 1 where God seems just sick and tired of their solemn worship while ignoring the iniquities among them and doing nothing, here these Christians are actively working against the widow and orphans in order to continue to serve false gods and tradition. It's frustrating, by my hope is that while 10-15 of them were vicious, someone in the 300 or so got the message and will seek the truth.

13 “Bring your worthless offerings no longer,
Incense is an abomination to Me.
New moon and sabbath, the calling of assemblies—
I cannot endure iniquity and the solemn assembly.

“I hate your new moon festivals and your appointed feasts
They have become a burden to Me;
I am weary of bearing them.

15 “So when you spread out your hands in prayer,
I will hide My eyes from you;
Yes, even though you multiply prayers,
I will not listen.
Your hands are covered with blood.

16 “Wash yourselves, make yourselves clean;
Remove the evil of your deeds from My sight.
Cease to do evil,

17 Learn to do good;
Seek justice,
Reprove the ruthless,
Defend the orphan,
Plead for the widow.

How the faithful city has become a harlot,
She who was full of justice!
Righteousness once lodged in her,
But now murderers.

22 Your silver has become dross,
Your drink diluted with water.

23 Your rulers are rebels
And companions of thieves;
Everyone loves a bribe
And chases after rewards.
They do not defend the orphan,
Nor
does the widow’s plea come before them.
I can’t remember about the Hebrew word widow, but in the Greek it covers all of the women without headship. Not merely those whose husbands have died.

Within our fellowship it's common that widows and orphans get taken in by other families if that's what they need and want. Not so much these days but ten years ago I used to see a lot of single moms joining families too.

Within our fellowship it's common that widows and orphans get taken in by other families if that's what they need and want. Not so much these days but ten years ago I used to see a lot of single moms joining families too.

What changed do you think?

People would generally prefer to have the government steal money from working men and then benevolently provide financial resources to the orphans and widows. Of course doing so also provided financial incentives for women to destroy their own families.

H490= Almana. Feminine of>H488 Alman, one bereft, from >H481 Alam, to be bound. Like tongue-tied, silenced, dumb. To bind sheaths of wheat.

H490= Almana. Feminine of>H488 Alman, one bereft, from >H481 Alam, to be bound. Like tongue-tied, silenced, dumb. To bind sheaths of wheat.
Bereft, that’s right.
Bereft is to be without.

The Greek is even more pointed. Chera from chasma. Essentially, empty void...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230221-183921_BLB.jpg
    Screenshot_20230221-183921_BLB.jpg
    414.1 KB · Views: 10
Back