• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

PM and Salvation

DMetzger

OK, let's see if I can word this the way my mind is asking the question.
In your opinions (and scripture would be great) do you feel, believe, and or know whether or not plural marriage is a necessary element, IE. vital to salvation?
In other words, can one obtain the kingdom of Heaven without entering into a plural marriage?

Perhaps in (fundamentalist) Mormon writings but certainly not in the Canon of the Bible. Polygamy as a prerequisite of salvation seems to be an entirely Mormon doctrine. I believe it isn't even in The Book of Mormon, but rather in The Pearl of Great Price, and therefore, considered apocryphal in nature by the main body of the church. I am no scholar on Mormon doctrine, so I may be wrong, but that is how I understand it.

First, the Bible teaches us that God came to earth in the flesh to suffer and die for the sins of the world (1 Peter 3:18; 1 John 2:2). Second, the God-Man (the Lord Jesus Christ) paid the eternal price for all sin past, present, and future of anyone who comes to him in faith (Eph. 2:1-10).
Third, Christ arose from the grave and today lives as the high priest interceding for his elect (Hebrews 9:11-28) who are baptized into him upon their new birth (1 Cor. 12:13; John 3:3-8).

Therefore, if we get those fundamentals down then we can know for sure that no sin can separate someone who has been placed into Christ. God the Father sees his elect saints as he sees himself in his Son, Jesus Christ. Thus, when the sins of us were placed on Christ the righteousness of Christ is now placed on us. This is what we call the doctrine of imputation and justification. Our sins were imputed/charged to Christ and his righteousness is now imputed or charged to our account when we are born again in Christ. We are just or seen as righteous not because of any work, effort, or obedience to any law but solely upon the righteousness of God in us (see Romans 8:1-11).

Thus, no sin in and of itself is the issue. Granted a true believer who has a new nature from the new birth will not continually practice sin (see 1 John 3:9), but the sin matter in every sense has been settled for those who truly come to the God-Man in faith.

People get confused when they move away from or misunderstand those gospel basics. When people misunderstand who Jesus is, what he did on the cross, and what it means for him to be our priest and baptized or born into him many many many other mistakes will follow.

But if we take those fundamental basics that constitute the gospel then the other issues will fall in place.

... In other words, ... Nope. Yup. :lol:

Besides, Romans 10:9, "because if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord10 and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." seems pretty conclusive. Ends with a period. Doesn't say nuttin' about getting Sabbath vs Sunday right, not clean vs unclean meats or even being vegetarian, nor dancing, nor the state of the dead, nor eschatology, not the Nature of Christ, not ... on and on ad nauseum.

Certainly nuttin' 'bout PM. While entertaining and controversial, it's a mere sideshow on the issue of God's order and structure as displayed through the basic social unit He designated as illustrative of His kingdom in this world, the Biblical Family. :eek: (How's THAT for a long winded phrase to make you go cross-eyed? :lol: )

That's what I thought, just wanted to hear it from others besides myself. As was said (sort of) people will claim all sorts of things as necessary for salvation. :)

There are those that advocate marriage as necessary for salvation in the afterlife. This is a core doctrine of The Unification Church (The Moonies), and Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) and its various fundamentalist branches. Traditional Christianity from the first century has never taught, advocated, or promoted the concept of marriage as necessary for salvation.

The Bible tells us, “At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven” (Matthew 22:30). This was Jesus’ answer in response to a question concerning a woman who had been married multiple times in her life —whom would she be married to in heaven (Matthew 22:23-28)? Evidently, there will be no such thing as marriage in heaven. This does not mean that a husband and wife will no longer know each other in heaven. This also does not mean that a husband and wife could not still have a close relationship in heaven. What it does seem to indicate, though, is that a husband and wife will no longer be married in heaven.

Most likely, there will be no marriage in heaven simply because there will be no need for it. When God established marriage, He did so to fill certain needs. First, He saw that Adam was in need of a companion. “The LORD God said, ‘It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him’” (Genesis 2:18). Eve was the solution to the problem of Adam’s loneliness, as well as his need for a “helper,” someone to come alongside him as his companion and go through life by his side. In heaven, however, there will be no loneliness, nor will there be any need for helpers. We will be surrounded by multitudes of believers and angels (Revelation 7:9), and all our needs will be met, including the need for companionship.

Second, God created marriage as a means of procreation and the filling of the earth with human beings. Heaven, however, will not be populated by procreation. Those who go to heaven will get there by faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; they will not be created there by means of reproduction. Therefore, there is no purpose for marriage in heaven since there is no procreation or loneliness.

Back