• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Poly FB groups ??

SerenaJoy82

Female
Within the last year, I have joined some Facebook groups that purported to be dedicated to plural marriage. I have since left all of them. Two things that I seemed to find on them. 1. Men would start inboxing any lady that joined to seek a sister wive. 2. Many of the men did not believe that the man was to be the sole provider for the family, but that women were also obligated to have jobs outside the home, not just a keeper at home. Maybe I could be wrong, but 1 Timothy 5 in its context seems to indicate the roles for men and women in regards to labour and role ( emphasis on verses 8 and 14).

I haven't been a part of those groups for many years now. I had the same problem, I was always getting messages from men and women wanting to know if I was interested in joining their family. Even before they'd spoken one word to me in the group, or before looking at my profile to see that I was married. The moment I left them the messages stopped.

Whether women have jobs outside of the home is up to the husband and what works for the family. The great thing about plural marriage is that there is more support for those who do go to work, someone to watch their children etc. Remember, the proverbs 31 wife was out there buying fields and selling her wares, she wasn't just at home with her family. But, she did have maids to help keep the home and help out where needed while she was busy. I think of plural marriage as sort of like having those maids, but everyone working together as a family, as a team, as a unit, and helping each other.

I view the Proverbs 31 wife as one who had a home-based business, and even a home-based business does require leaving the house from time to time. It does not appear that she had very young children, but perhaps older or grown children. I could be wrong. The saying that womans work is never done still rings true.

Back