• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Poly in Jasher

Verifyveritas76

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
So, I was in Jasher again and just happened to be where its describing Laban and Jacobs beginning relationship.

Chapter 30:13. And Lban had so sons but only daughters, and his other wives and handmaids were still barren in those days . . . .
Chapter 30:18 And in the fourth year of Jacob’s residence in the house of Laban, the Lord visited Laban and remembered him on account of Jacob, and sons were born unto him, and his first born was Beor, his second was Alib, and the third was Chorash. 19. And the Lord gave Laban riches and honor, sons and daughters, and the man increased greatly on account of Jacob.

So its no wonder that Laban didnt mind if Jacob had multiple wives as he was a polygamist himself.

Also an interesting note about Lamech, the first polygamist mentioned in the Bible.

In chapter 2, it gives a brief summary of Adams lineage through Seth. Seth has a son named Enosh, and Enosh has a son named Cainan. In verses 11-13 Cainan is noted for ruling over the whole earth and turning some of the sons of men to the service of God. So he’s pretty much the front man for knowing about God, prophecies about the coming flood etc. This man Cainan has 3 sons and 2 daughters. The sons aren’t important for now but the two daughters are listed as Adah and Zillah.

Chapter 2:17. And Lamech, the son of Methusael, became related to Cainan by marriage, and he took his two daughters for his wives, and Adah conceived and bare a son, and called his name Jabal.

So this crazy guy Lamech, that has been castigated for centuries for perverting what God first ordained (monogamy) was actually permitted this plural marriage by the man noted as being a servant of God and even a “soul winner” if you will.

Kinda sheds new light on the first instance of Poly.

Hoax? Maybe, maybe not.

http://web.archive.org/web/20030206035425/http://stonekingdom.org/FMS/FMS23.html
http://web.archive.org/web/20030206034637/stonekingdom.org/FMS/FMS24.html

Apparently there are at least two different texts called Jasher. I skimmed this article a while ago, and I just now glanced at the Wikipedia entry, and I cannot quickly see any notable correlation between this article and Wikipedia. Perhaps there are three texts called Jasher. He is confident in saying that the 1829-Jasher is a fraud, though, he has some confidence in the legitimacy of the 1840-Jasher.

It’s been a while since I looked at the background. As I recall, there are 3 “Books of Jasher”. Two are obvious frauds. The third I believe has a decent provenance. Ive read through it once pre poly so I thought I’d read it again to see what I missed the first time. I’ll probably have to do the same with Josephus’ Antiquities.

In verses 11-13 Cainan is noted for ruling over the whole earth and turning some of the sons of men to the service of God.

Just in case someone missed this point, as I’m seeing it, these sons of men =lineage of Cain. Apparently Cainan has converted Lamech. Why else would a righteous man allow an unrighteous man to marry not one, but both of his daughters.

Here was another interesting note in Jasher 22 as I was reading through it again for the Melchizedek thread

And Terah, father of Nahor and Abraham, went and took another wife in his old age, and her name was Pelilah, and she conceived and bare him a son and he called his name Zoba.
32 And Terah lived twenty-five years after he begat Zoba.
33 And Terah died in that year, that is in the thirty-fifth year of the birth of Isaac son of Abraham.
34 And the days of Terah were two hundred and five years, and he was buried in Haran.
35 And Zoba the son of Terah lived thirty years and he begat Aram, Achlis and Merik.
36 And Aram son of Zoba son of Terah, had three wives and he begat twelve sons and three daughters; and the Lord gave to Aram the son of Zoba, riches and possessions, and abundance of cattle, and flocks and herds, and the man increased greatly.

Jasher 26

And it was at that time that Abraham died, in the fifteenth year of the life of Jacob and Esau, the sons of Isaac, and all the days of Abraham were one hundred and seventy-five years, and he died and was gathered to his people in good old age, old and satisfied with days, and Isaac and Ishmael his sons buried him.

30 And when the inhabitants of Canaan heard that Abraham was dead, they all came with their kings and princes and all their men to bury Abraham.

31 And all the inhabitants of the land of Haran, and all the families of the house of Abraham, and all the princes and grandees, and the sons of Abraham by the concubines, all came when they heard of Abraham's death, and they requited Abraham's kindness, and comforted Isaac his son, and they buried Abraham in the cave which he bought from Ephron the Hittite and his children, for the possession of a burial place.

32 And all the inhabitants of Canaan, and all those who had known Abraham, wept for Abraham a whole year, and men and women mourned over him.

33 And all the little children, and all the inhabitants of the land wept on account of Abraham, for Abraham had been good to them all, and because he had been upright with God and men.

34 And there arose not a man who feared God like unto Abraham, for he had feared his God from his youth, and had served the Lord, and had gone in all his ways during his life, from his childhood to the day of his death.

the sons of Abraham by the concubines, all came when they heard of Abraham's death, and they requited Abraham's kindness, and comforted Isaac his son, and they buried Abraham in the cave which he bought from Ephron the Hittite and his children, for the possession of a burial place.

32 And all the inhabitants of Canaan, and all those who had known Abraham, wept for Abraham a whole year, and men and women mourned over him.

So much for the whole, polygamy leads to troubled families bit.

Back