• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

"Poly" makes me cringe

No, I said,

We're all in different situations so will address the topic how it suits at the time. You do you. Shalom

Certainly, I don't see how my shorthand representation was inaccurate. It was not intended to be a quote.
In fact, in person I tend to probably do something not dissimilar to you albeit likely less but not no biblical references. Just have a conversation with them, answer their questions and try to sketch out an image for them. Most come away less scandalized than they might have enjoyed and generally somewhat disappointed at it being just a different kind of marriage rather than something worthy of a tabloid.

Ack! You are gonna make me work for it?
View attachment 2645

Pretty much what I had in mind.
My notion with respect to (shudder i hate talking in those terms about real and important issues) branding polygyny is primarily a desire to push back against cultural misperceptions about the perfectly normal families either practicing or wishing to practice a perfectly natural form of marriage but also against the big institutions who do not recognize us.
Amusingly on other social media sites the profile photo is of the Don Quixote in the saddle and charging.
OK, thanks; that's much more clear. You and I are just different parts of the elephant. I never hesitate to expound on plural marriage when it's relevant in a conversation/discussion, but I'll leave it to you and others to take the role of the bats who hit the wind farm blades (my inner imagery of what the net effect of tilting at windmills amounts to). What you're hoping for (creating mass acceptance of biblical polygyny) is certainly laudable, as long as the impression isn't being created that plural marriage is superior to mono marriage. To that extent, I would dispute the meme, because I don't think those two 'pictures' above are the same picture. I would change my mind if you substituted 'acceptability of plural marriage as a legitimate choice' for 'plural marriage,' because I can't agree that plural marriage is the only way to demonstrate masculinity, headship, leadership or resilience.

OK, thanks; that's much more clear. You and I are just different parts of the elephant. I never hesitate to expound on plural marriage when it's relevant in a conversation/discussion, but I'll leave it to you and others to take the role of the bats who hit the wind farm blades (my inner imagery of what the net effect of tilting at windmills amounts to). What you're hoping for (creating mass acceptance of biblical polygyny) is certainly laudable, as long as the impression isn't being created that plural marriage is superior to mono marriage. To that extent, I would dispute the meme, because I don't think those two 'pictures' above are the same picture. I would change my mind if you substituted 'acceptability of plural marriage as a legitimate choice' for 'plural marriage,' because I can't agree that plural marriage is the only way to demonstrate masculinity, headship, leadership or resilience.

masculinity, headship, leadership or resilience

Patriarchy

Patriarchy can be monogynous or polygynous. The existence of polygyny (even if a man chooses not to practice it) supports and enforces patriarchy (the Biblical model).

Back