• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Polygamous love story movies?

PolyPride

I just finished watching an interesting movie called Adore. I found it interesting because it had a storyline that most would find morally repulsive. The short version is that it involves 2 mothers who are best friends and each of them has 1 son who are also best friends. The mothers end up sleeping with each other's son (not incest- one woman sleeping with her friend's son and the friend returns the favor) and the story continues from there. Anyways, it came to mind, if people can make movies like this, why aren't people making romance movies about polygamy? Why aren't there any love story movies about a man falling for 2 different women or something along those lines?

I figured surely we can't be worried about how many people this would shock because there are movies already out that are just as shocking if not worse.

Uh, ewww!

There are plenty of movies and tv shows about a man falling in love with two women. The difference is that in the end he either has to choose between them, or one woman leaves him, or both.

In your movie, was it a happy ending? Did everyone end up together and happy?

Good points - Sarah.

The ending? I'm actually confused by the ending. The two son's ended up marrying other women and having kids. Then their wives found out about their sleeping around with each other's mother and the wives were disgusted and left them. At the end of the movie they show the two sons laying down next to each other's mother - not in bed but on a beach and the movie ends there. I suppose that it the director's way of saying in an indirect way there's a chance for a happy ending.

FYI.. I'm not necessarily against older women dating younger men. I'm just against my mom or anyone elses starting an intimate relationship with their son's friend.

FollowingHim2 said:
Uh, ewww!

There are plenty of movies and tv shows about a man falling in love with two women. The difference is that in the end he either has to choose between them, or one woman leaves him, or both.

Now that I think about it I do remember movies like that. Those movies give polygamy a bad name in my opinion. Lets hope that someone comes up with a more 'conservative' polygamous love story.

Yes it's not about age, it's about the relationship. Mother/son thing going on.

It is sad about these movies. Always the guy has cheated on his wife or something and it gets all messy and crazy. Normally if there is a happy ending it involves the wife breaking up with him and finding a new man, or the husband and wife getting back together but he dumps the other woman. Happy endings are not what we think they should be or what they could be. A bad ending would probably be that the guy was still dating the other woman behind the wife's back. The idea of the guy keeping the two women just doesn't come into anyone's head at all when they write the script.

In general, movies with crazy stuff like this going on don't really have happy endings, they have weird endings or ones where the main character dies or something.

I'm all for someone making a positive poly movie!

FollowingHim2 said:
Yes it's not about age, it's about the relationship. Mother/son thing going on.

It is sad about these movies. Always the guy has cheated on his wife or something and it gets all messy and crazy. Normally if there is a happy ending it involves the wife breaking up with him and finding a new man, or the husband and wife getting back together but he dumps the other woman. Happy endings are not what we think they should be or what they could be. A bad ending would probably be that the guy was still dating the other woman behind the wife's back. The idea of the guy keeping the two women just doesn't come into anyone's head at all when they write the script.

In general, movies with crazy stuff like this going on don't really have happy endings, they have weird endings or ones where the main character dies or something.

I'm all for someone making a positive poly movie!

Me too. I'm getting tired of Kody Brown and his Sister Wives, lol. ANd just about the movie again, it wasn't incest - sorry about that confusion. It was one mother sleeping with the son of another woman (that other woman was her best friend). And the best friend did the same to the woman's son.

Yip, I got that! I just thought about it like the fact that I babysit my friend's children, and I see them as my children, you know? If they're my kids age...

PolyPride said:
...it had a storyline that most would find morally repulsive. ... if people can make movies like this, why aren't people making twisted romance movies about polygamy?
Yeah. But a movie that pushes boundaries to depict polygamy might just end up reinforcing the view that polygamy is, well, outside the boundaries.

Raise the Red Lantern is a beautiful, heartbreaking movie about jealousy and intrigue among a man's wives. Set in 1920s China, the film treats polygamy itself as a given. Though it got an Oscar nomination and other awards. it's subtitled, which I guess could repel some viewers. Oh, and it lacks car chases and explosions.

FollowingHim2 said:
There are plenty of movies and tv shows about a man falling in love with two women. ... It is sad about these movies. ... Normally if there is a happy ending it involves the wife breaking up with him and finding a new man, or the husband and wife getting back together but he dumps the other woman.
Yeah, conventional romantic movies seek to provide comfort by affirming monogamist conventions, i.e. by defining happiness in terms of monogamism. That anyone feels a need to produce such propaganda suggests to me that people find monogamy less than comforting in practice. And achieving such affirmation can require that screenwriters bend over backwards.

An acclaimed recent movie that suffered from such contortions is Your Sister's Sister. Guy hooks up with a woman, finds out she's the sister of the woman he's in town to see, and spends the rest of the movie obsessing about what a terrible person he is. Lovely dialogue, cinematography, locations, acting, and so forth, all twisted to force a monogamist-approved ending.

There are a few poly type of movies. Most don't end up with the people staying together.

http://viooz.co/movies/8546-summer-lovers-1982.html

This link is for "Summer Lovers". A couple meets a woman while on summer vacation. There is an one time affair from the man to the other woman, the girlfriend finds out and then they all work it out. Happy ending but lots of nudity on the beaches...the movie is from the seventies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywfx5Dcy8vc

This is a small tribute clip to the movie "The Substitute Wife". 1800's frontier woman has cancer and finds a wife for her husband BEFORE she passes away. Very good film. VHS copies of this sell from $80 to $200 bucks.

There is also Micki and Maude. This is a trailer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4cNM_cuee8 Kind of 80's.

Vicki Christina Barcelona is a kind of poly friendly movie. I won't spoil the ending. You can watch it instantly on your computer for about $5 on google I think.

Anyway, there are quite a few, most have a happy poly middle and then the people don't work it out. I would like to see a full length movie where they all build family over time without affairs and weird screw ups.

Paul

Two movies I have seen worth mentioning here have tangential aspects to PM. Both are foreign films with subtitles. Both are available free through Kanopy.com by signing up with a library card. I won't relay a full synopsis for either as you may read those from IMDB or your favorite reviewer.

The first, Beloved Sisters, is a German film chronicling the relationship of two sisters with German poet Freidrich Schiller. The strong love of the sisters for the good of each other and Schiller is the strength of the movie. It's a bit long and took several sittings to get through. One of the memorable quotes comes from the narrator during a closing scene:
"The women in the von Lengefeld family all have a curious talent.
Choosing men who lead the way to eternal life.
They'll end up together, all three of them widows.
And together they will lovingly remember their late husbands.
Maybe that really is what keeps them together.
Something they themselves don't understand.
Because, despite everything, it seems natural to them.
It's this trinity Schiller's always been looking for.
Their women's community, which they allowed him to enter, back in the summer of 1788.
Then they sent him not to paradise, but to the solitary confinement of marriage.
Now, at this very moment, in the face of deadly illness, they understand once again, that he is a refuge on a cold and barren planet. A stranger to this world, and lonely. He never searched for a home, but found one among them.
"

The second film to mention is The Women on the 6th Floor. This is a French movie with French and Spanish spoken and much more light-hearted. This is just a great movie plain and simple about Spanish actic-dwelling maids and a wealthy married Frenchman who uses his resources for their good. He falls in love with one and befriends the others. You will laugh and smile a lot. Like any movie with a potential for PM, the endings that are supposed to feel like a resolution for the audience at large are to us as tragedies. But tragedies linger in the mind and you will savor this movie for a while after watching.

All media is propaganda. These don't get made because it's not the message Hollywood and their backers wants to send.

All media is propaganda. These don't get made because it's not the message Hollywood and their backers wants to send.
I would go much farther and state that their father is very much opposed to patriarchy/polygyny.

Exactly and bigger functional families is exactly opposite to what satan and globalist oligarchs want. They pay for for producing anything that destroys the family or make more people gay, steril etc.
The more broken and atomized, the better. Uncle beastie then can then become papa and husband beastie. This dependence causes more state obedience. Is a multi-faceted global scamdemia of sorts. What they promote, works to weaken and kill any organized opposition to it's (beastie satan etc) control.
I suppose many don't even realize who they are serving. Is just business they might say. We impose on free will for the good of the many. Actually they do create consent with deceit.

Back