• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Polygyny in African American Communities

I've also seen many similar videos mentioned above and have liked some of what I've heard concerning polygyny popping up among black Americans.

I also like where this conversation is going with the thought of a possible YouTube presence for BF someday. As I recently mentioned in another thread, I have done some Tubing before while in youth ministry and enjoyed it very much (being the goofy extrovert that I am). I have been inspired a bit by Sir Zec and his channel lately to maybe get back in the game... Having several ideas of what it would look like for me to do so.

Firstly, I love being a dad, and a fun, goofy, playful one at that. Something I like to call "extreme dadding"! But the whole "dad" life does simply play into the Biblical worldview of Patriarchy I hold so dear anyways, so... Simultaneously, I have a close friend / brother in the Lord with whom I've been discussing a "men's ministry" idea, sortof a "brotherhood" concept, which has lead to talk of a podcast or YouTube channel as well... All still in brainstorming/ prayerfully considering mode, but wanted to share with my BF bros!

I've also seen many similar videos mentioned above and have liked some of what I've heard concerning polygyny popping up among black Americans.

I also like where this conversation is going with the thought of a possible YouTube presence for BF someday. As I recently mentioned in another thread, I have done some Tubing before while in youth ministry and enjoyed it very much (being the goofy extrovert that I am). I have been inspired a bit by Sir Zec and his channel lately to maybe get back in the game... Having several ideas of what it would look like for me to do so.

Firstly, I love being a dad, and a fun, goofy, playful one at that. Something I like to call "extreme dadding"! But the whole "dad" life does simply play into the Biblical worldview of Patriarchy I hold so dear anyways, so... Simultaneously, I have a close friend / brother in the Lord with whom I've been discussing a "men's ministry" idea, sortof a "brotherhood" concept, which has lead to talk of a podcast or YouTube channel as well... All still in brainstorming/ prayerfully considering mode, but wanted to share with my BF bros!
Keep us posted!

2 quick comments: BF youTube channel: definitely on the list of 'we need to get to that'. Needs a task-force soon, I think.

African-American polygamy: we have contacts in both Atlanta (Zec referred to) and DC (a black pastor polygamist, who's been in the White House in the past). We had in Dallas too, though some of those are no longer there. And a few scattered others. I've threatened to helped them organize in the past, but it hasn't happened yet (I guess they could have their own forum here, for starters.) More needs-to-be-done stuff.

Possible allies...

There's a growing number of YouTube videos recommending polygyny as a means of strengthening African-American communities by emphasizing the importance of responsibility among black men. If you listen to them, they hit on a lot of the same points I see here. Granted, I don't know how many of these are coming from a secular, Muslim, New Age, or Black Israelite perspective, but at least some of them appear to also be from a Christian perspective. Interestingly, many of them are made by women. Here's a small sampling:

You can't mention black youtube polygamy channels without mentioning the classic "POLYGAMY AS ECONOMIC WARFARE" by the great Hondo Solomon!

https://www.youtube.com/user/HondoSolomon7

Not all of the black Hebrew Israelites are "exotic". Certainly many of them are, hell most of the Hebrew Israelites are a little out there. British Israelism is one of the few topics we're not allowed to talk about here. There are some very good black Israelite teachers out there though. Sometimes white folks have to adjust for cultural and stylistic differences. One of the guys I think deserves closer scrutiny and a chance to be heard is Pastor Dowell. If you just listen to some of his rants you can get a little worried but if you watch the channel focused on their women and children you see that there are some definite fruits and true depth to what they're doing out there.

To be honest though you have to have pretty strong filters on with any YouTube channel. Especially the guys with beards. Dangerous fellows.

That being said, there is a definite lack of good Christian polygyny material on YouTube and its an area that BF could make an impact in.
I watched several Black Israelite videos in the past; for the most part the bizarre thought modes were impossible for me to appreciate and usually left me irritated. The arguments they have are truly hilarious though if you need some comedic relief from actual biblical studies and the debates are truly a sight to be seen/heard. Fantastic insanity

I watched a youtube video where 1 of them interviewed Dr. Michael Heiser, and he was just so frustrated trying to use simple reason with the "interviewer".

I watched several Black Israelite videos in the past; for the most part the bizarre thought modes were impossible for me to appreciate and usually left me irritated. The arguments they have are truly hilarious though if you need some comedic relief from actual biblical studies and the debates are truly a sight to be seen/heard. Fantastic insanity

I watched a youtube video where 1 of them interviewed Dr. Michael Heiser, and he was just so frustrated trying to use simple reason with the "interviewer".

There does seem to be a strong aspirational component to a lot of their thinking but they're finding their way. Where they are is not where they're going.

There does seem to be a strong aspirational component to a lot of their thinking but they're finding their way. Where they are is not where they're going.

I'm also not a fan of how they attempt "replace" real Israel through flights of fancy; this is an old song that has been sung out of tune by many others before them and is historically untenable.

regarding their finding their way, these are not Hebrew Roots guys:
the group is often antisemitic & militant; at least there is an anecdotal representation of this from their "outreach" tactics which involve bullying m (even though they claim to be at odds with this group). They have a bizarre idea that real Jews can't possible be white (I guess they've never seen who white many Persians are) and the topics just seem to devolve even from there. So Israelis are "fake Jews" according to this movement. How we managed to occupy the land using world war 1 Turkish rifles without divine aid would be an interesting discussion to have with them...

Their "debates" are more like gansgter rap jams where the 2 debaters trash talk each other in an entirely unbiblical manner... it makes even the hottest, thorniest discussion in the history of Biblical Families look like a snooze fest.

Maybe you know someone who is a black "Israelite" and this system has helped them to get from point A to point B but as a movement, I would hope most would leave the movement when they finally read their bible and go to point C (another group).
The movement is steeped in racism and violence is common.
Be careful interacting with these guys.

Maybe these are fringe elements but there are several posts on youtube of proud Black Israelites acting out their antisemitism.
Just search for "making fake Jew cry" shouting "heil Hitler" and other such nonsense. It's amazing to me in this day and age we still get accused of being "fake Jews" or "Khazar Jews" (thank you British Israelitism for this). The black Israelites basically ripped off British Israelitism, swapped in their own ethnicity and ran with it.

***Zec this response is not so much towards what you wrote as much as I thought maybe some more warnings needed to be posted about these guys and responding to your post seemed the right place to do it***
peace all

@IshChayil

Well said. I've watched quite a bit of their stuff. It's much as you've described though there are of course differences within the movement.

I'm not convinced of their claims of descent though I suppose that for someone somewhere it could be true, I just don't think they have the ability to prove it. I think most of it stems from a search for identity and culture to replace the dysfunctional one they've been brought up in.

There is a lot of ugliness in some of that stuff and a lot of really bad exegesis in a lot of the rest of it. Everyone gets a little crazy when it comes to the lost tribes. Everyone wants to be one of God's chosen people.

I just don't want to throw the baby out with the bath water.

There is a lot of ugliness in some of that stuff and a lot of really bad exegesis in a lot of the rest of it. Everyone gets a little crazy when it comes to the lost tribes. Everyone wants to be one of God's chosen people.

I just don't want to throw the baby out with the bath water.
What if it's an evil, walking undead baby? :p
Just kidding, I hear ya

This is a very interesting topic. I don't say much these days but I will add my small bit of two cents in.

As for the increase of polygyny in AA communities, I would definitely say most has to do with the "Black Isrealites." They are very big on supporting a polygynist lifestyle. Which does cause men of colour to look to really become a provider/HOH.

I see, many in this thread had exposure thru YouTube. I don't know if any of you had any one on one conversations with these individuals.
I had quite a few, both when living in NYC and more recently. To me, the group is no better then those who claim to be "white" supremacists, except it is "black supremacy." Then add a Hebrew/Jewish bandaid on it. Some of these individuals are very dangerous, they take it to the extreme.
Everything boils down to colour. Which is very hard for me to swallow or want to listen to all the time.
Yes, many want to be G_d's chosen ppl. If they know the word, individuals know adoption into the kingdom is just as good as being first chosen. I just think some are going about it the wrong way.
On the opposite side of things, I am sure there are very great individuals with in that group.

This is a very interesting topic. I don't say much these days but I will add my small bit of two cents in.

As for the increase of polygyny in AA communities, I would definitely say most has to do with the "Black Isrealites." They are very big on supporting a polygynist lifestyle. Which does cause men of colour to look to really become a provider/HOH.

I see, many in this thread had exposure thru YouTube. I don't know if any of you had any one on one conversations with these individuals.
I had quite a few, both when living in NYC and more recently. To me, the group is no better then those who claim to be "white" supremacists, except it is "black supremacy." Then add a Hebrew/Jewish bandaid on it. Some of these individuals are very dangerous, they take it to the extreme.
Everything boils down to colour. Which is very hard for me to swallow or want to listen to all the time.
Yes, many want to be G_d's chosen ppl. If they know the word, individuals know adoption into the kingdom is just as good as being first chosen. I just think some are going about it the wrong way.
On the opposite side of things, I am sure there are very great individuals with in that group.
Very well stated. Kudos.

I am cautiously optimistic about Straitway and Pastor Dowell. They're not perfect but seem to be very good.

As I mentioned, I am sure there are some good individuals within that group. It seems there are many of those in the "Isrealite" group that are not a fan of this pastor anymore. He has strayed from the full "Isrealite" truth, which I don't see anything wrong with that.

Back