• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Polygyny: "This isn't one of them"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark C

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
A little while ago I had an on-line debate (via her blog) with Lynn Baber.

(I'll try to put up a set of links to all the appropriate threads below at the end.)

That exchange started because (thanks, Doc) a link was posted to her blog about the issue of marriage licenses. At that time, because in fact ALL of what God says about marriage is consistent, and therefore interlinked, the subject of polygyny came up. (Actually, IIRC, she kinda brought it up. I know some here may have trouble believing that...so check my recollection if you must. :lol: )

What I called her on was this:
“Marriage is as ordained by God and specifically defined in the Bible as one man and one woman. I’m sure you don’t need me to make a specific citation.”

My private responses challenged her, by noting that no such citation was POSSIBLE, because it did not exist. Subsequently, she posted most of that exchange here:

http://lynnbaber.net/?p=182#comments

Following her 'sign-off', I wrote yet one more response, and sent it to her directly. I didn't post it on her blog in the same thread, not only because I felt it was appropriate to allow her the 'last word', but because it seemed that the best answer was yet another change of topic -- to make a point.

Here's why: (The emphasis added is mine, and is the reason for this thread.)

Hi Mark. I appreciate the scholarship and passion you have for your issue, but I have to say that I am just in no way conflicted about the issue of polygamy...

...The Bible is a complete work. Not only is there a linear aspect to it, of going from beginning to end, but there is the supernatural power it has of being intertwined as a whole, one part not separable from any other. Just as the faithful made sacrifices under the law in the Old Testament, it appears that polygamy was not specifically endorsed or prohibited; it just was...

...Bottom line conclusion: I rely on the Spirit, on God, to instruct me...

I just gotta say, Mark, polygamy just isn’t an issue for me to spend much time on. It’s a done deal. As I researched your citations and your opinion, there was no hint that my present understanding was in need of review or expansion.

There have been a number of cases where I have had to change long held beliefs. This isn’t one of them...

While I agree COMPLETELY that the Bible is a complete Whole, and even more that it is utterly consistent -- it is also true that He "changes NOT", and remains the same yesterday, today, and always.

Where I have a concern about the attitude expressed is the implicit assumption that the Ruach Hakodesh (or "Holy Spirit") can contradict the Written Word of God, and that things which contradict "long held beliefs" can be ignored if they make us uncomfortable. To be blunt, not EVERYTHING that encourages us to ignore what might appear to be "difficult Truths" is from the right Spirit, much less the "Set Apart One".

If there is a single thing that seems to be the ultimate "fall-back position" (right after the perennial favorite, "it's not God's PREFERRED plan") of those who simply don't want to acknowledge certain aspects of the Bible, it is this one:

"I don't WANT to know." Some things are Important in God's Word - and "this isn't one of them."

Hosea said "my people are destroyed for lack of knowledge". but the REAL chastening comes in the rest of Hosea 4:6, all too often ignored: "because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.

This argument was REALLY the reason why I wrote the article about why polygyny is important (and sent it to Lynn), and titled it Hit Me With You Best Shot:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=820#p8183

But maybe "Yes, this IS one of them!" would have been more apropos!

Links:

Eliminate marriage from all federal law: (Lynn Baber)
September 15, 2009
http://lynnbaber.net/?p=176#respond

Let me share the comments re: marriage and civil union
September 20, 2009
http://lynnbaber.net/?p=182#comments

(Some of my response sounds much like FAQ info, of course)

Attached article (to Lynn) from the BF thread, "Hit Me With Your Best Shot":
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=820#p8183

I'll attach my response to her last comment next.

Why it really IS important to understand ALL about marriage

Here is the interchange which does NOT appear on Lynn's blog, which follows her last post that begins:

Posted September 21, 2009 at 10:03 AM

Hi Mark. I appreciate the scholarship and passion you have for your issue, but I have to say that I am just in no way conflicted about the issue of polygamy. I recognize that I won’t change your mind, but then, that isn’t my mission...

What follows is another explanation of my "passion" for this topic -- in that some people have abandoned faith in the Bible BECAUSE of false doctrines, bad teachings, and even outright lies, based on false traditions! More crucially, however, I hope to again explain why "EVERY Word" that proceeds from the mouth of God, is important, and consistent, "profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.". It's also why we are admonished to be ready to defend our faith, and the hope that He has shown to us.

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 3:01 PM, Mark wrote:

Dear Lynn,

[I saw your response on line...] On this I know we agree wholeheartedly (although I would have added that there is a huge CYCLICAL aspect as well):

"The Bible is a complete work. Not only is there a linear aspect to it, of going from beginning to end, but there is the supernatural power it has of being intertwined as a whole, one part not separable from any other."

Ironically, part of my "passion" for this topic, among many, is exactly that. It was that element of "integrated", complete Truth, woven into an intricate tapestry by the Hand of the Master, and consistent in EVERY detail, that convinced me -- a skeptical near-agnostic for many years -- that the Bible was in fact the Word of the Creator.

Some of those "inconsistencies" and internal contradictions...had to do with marriage. [Yes....] polygyny "just was". Likewise, some of the teachings of 'the Church' had more to do with idolatry and pagan tradition [...than the Bible. That turned me...] away from what I saw as hypocrisy for far too long.

So, much of that "passion" has to do with specific teachings; things that He used to convince me personally that I should "let God be True, and every man a liar".

[So - a brief story, and analogy.] It will either make sense - or be utterly incomprehensible. ;)

As a very young boy, I remember being SO disgusted with the Sunday school teaching about "Good Friday" and "Easter Sunday". My repeated objection that Friday to early Sunday was not even "three days", much less "three days and three nights" was simply rejected. Evidently it was "close enough for God", and must be accepted "on faith." I remember thinking something to the effect that either God was a liar, or He couldn't count.

[Some things are important, in others words, but "This isn't one of them.]

It was shortly after this period of beginning to "study for myself" what was actually Written, as opposed to what I had been told it said, that I came upon the "Hebrew roots" set of teachings, and was overwhelmed to learn that -- once again -- God was right, and that "teaching as doctrine the traditions of men" was not. LOTS of pieces had to fall into place to see the "whole and consistent" Truth: His day begins at sunset, not 'midnight'. There are TWO Sabbaths during the week of Pesach (Passover, not the day named after the fertility goddess!) - the weekly "Saturday" Sabbath, and the "High Sabbath" of the Feast of Unleavened Bread. And He was actually "hung on the tree" on a Wednesday afternoon, "gave up the Ghost" at about 3 PM (PRECISELY at the same instant at which the High Priest in the Temple sacrificed the final lamb for his own house - the one over which he traditionally said, "I find no fault in him" - and at which time that same priest also traditionally announced "it is finished"!) and was in the tomb by dusk, or about 6 PM.

"Three days AND three nights" (Wednesday NIGHT, Thursday NIGHT, Friday NIGHT, ThursDAY, FriDAY, and SabbathDAY) means that the tomb was empty EXACTLY as He promised, "at the end of the Sabbath". What I wasn't taught was that the "beginning of the mia day of the week" was DUSK on what is now called Saturday evening!

To me, Lynn, this understanding was truly a revelation. Again, God's Word - EVERY little piece of it, down to the smallest detail (and down to miraculous details I am STILL learning about!) was True in such a way that it could ONLY be proof of the Plan of the Creator Himself. [And - at the risk of casting down still another Sacred Cow, er -- bunny and egg -- all of this gives me additional insight as well into the matter of idolatry/adultery. How angry He would have every inclination to be that the most important event in all history, foretold from the beginning, and throughout His prophecies and by His Appointed Times, and literally rehearsed for centuries, in advance would later be mixed with pagan practices, and even renamed after a false fertility goddess and her incestuous son (Ishtar/Astarte/Easter, Tammuz, Mithra, et al.]

I get passionate about that one, too, of course. But this time of year [begins] the "Fall Feasts". The other place I might (or might not, given that your description was brief) disagree with your statement that "the law was fulfilled in Christ" lies in that distinction. It was the "CURSE of the 'Law'", rather than His "torah", or instruction, itself that was "nailed to the cross". After all, He said that "not one yod nor tiddle" of His Written Word (again, probably the word "torah" was actually used) would pass so long as "heaven and earth" still existed. (Matt. 5:18 et al)

Don't forget that the final celebration of His Fall Feasts, known as "Sukkot" (aka "Booths", "Tabernacles", "Tents", or even "mangers" in the Olde English ;) ) is reminiscent not only of the ancient Isrealites time in the wilderness, but of the Marriage Feast of the Lamb.

I am convinced, because of His character, and His attention to detail, that when He returns again, it will be to fulfill these now-in-practice Fall Feasts just as perfectly as He did the Spring Feasts almost two thousand years ago.

So perhaps it's a bit of the 'engineer mindset' that gives me this attitude, Lynn, and a bit of "passion" to observe and then to teach that EVERY DETAIL of His Word is Perfect. Not only were some of us driven AWAY from His truth by the false teaching of some of those fine points, but we were saved and brought back IN to His plan for us by the understanding of His Word as originally Written.

Blessings...
(and "Haag S'meach")

Mark

==================================================

Reply - Lynn to Mark

Hi Mark: I told my husband you remind me of my brother, who is an engineer...

Interesting that you bring up the issue of three days... I always wondered about that, too. However, when I read my Bible it says, "on the third day" which is, indeed accurate. Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Yep, works perfectly.

You and my brother may have (or had) the same problem trying to reconcile Christianity and logic. As I said in an earlier reply, I am blessed by being simple in spirit.

==================================================

Reply: Mark to Lynn

Perhaps that is why he sent multiple sets of apostles and teachers out...
I have always found it particularly rewarding to talk to those who have difficulty "reconciling" those "apparent" contradictions. There are few so "passionate" as those who have been lied to, and the who later discovered just how utterly true in every detail God's Word (in the original language, if there is any question) really is!

But I will add this:

"Interesting that you bring up the issue of three days... I always wondered about that, too. However, when I read my Bible it says, "on the third day" which is, indeed accurate. Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Yep, works perfectly."

Sorry, but not really. He also undeniably said "three days AND three nights" (Matt. 12:40, and of course Jonah 1:17). "On the third day" works perfectly, in complete accord with His Word, only if we recognize that He arose ON the third day, before it was yet light. That can only be the Sabbath, before dark, and just before the women arrived at His tomb.

Blessings,

Mark

Any time we are willing to tolerate a lie -- and ESPECIALLY when in so doing we "add to" or "subtract from" His Written Word -- we "give place to the Devil".

The Word of God should never be rejected flippantly, of course. But when the topic is something like marriage, and God's design for it, that is SO central not only to His plan for each of us, but His very CHARACTER, it is wrong to dismiss the subject! It is never appropriate to say that some things merit study, and the abandonment of long-held beliefs, "but this isn't one of them." There is a name for something which becomes SO important in our lives that it takes precedence over God, and His Written Word: idolatry.

Yes, we may even disagree. But not before doing like the Bereans* did, and searching it out for ourselves. I will continue to suggest that those people who are led by "the spirit" to do avoid that test should be VERY concerned about what kind of spirit they are listening to.

Blessings in His Name,

Mark

------------------
* Acts 17:11 ;)

Thank you for having the courage to speak up to people as a newer christian with out training but scripture is clear . Polygamy is a scriptural truth. I find myself terribly disheartened by the clear denial and lack of willingness to even explore the possibility. It is so vast and numerous I am wondering if people actual read there bibles or only catchy little verses.

Do these anti-plural christians dare to say that god has made law that is how to delegate sin!!!!! Jesus had something to say about divorce (Matthew 19:8) but he didn't come to correct plural marriages instead sighting himself as the father of abram and jacob! David as a man after his own heart! When Mosses came down with the word of god he had nothing to say about the ramped and "just was" plural marriages because there was no issue well except a few guide lines as all marriages the bible can speak a great deal into

Leviticus 18:18 (New International Version)

18 " 'Do not take your wife's sister as a rival wife and have sexual relations with her while your wife is living.
Funny how it says not your wifes sister but it doesn't have anything to say about taking a rival wife ?????? And in a chapter all about incest don't get all spiritual sister on me :lol: ooo

2 Chronicles 11:23 NIV
He acted wisely, dispersing some of his sons throughout the districts of Judah and Benjamin, and to all the fortified cities. He gave them abundant provisions and took many wives for them.
just encase people question weather it says many because he had many sons needs to remember that he took 16 wives. Would the bible say a sin was WISE?

The list goes on and on. I just think that some chose to be blind.

Where I have a concern about the attitude expressed is the implicit assumption that the Ruach Hakodesh (or "Holy Spirit") can contradict the Written Word of God,

Tretullian alert! Tretullian alert! Don't forget that this very veiw brought us monogamy and celibacy of the preisthood in the first place.

No doubt the same spirit speaks to her as did him many centuries ago, and no doubt it is not Holy. If you cannot or will not try a spirit by scripture it is certainly a spirit not of God.

Three Days and Three Nights

Hi Mark C.,

Like you, I believe that polygyny is approved by God as a form of marriage. However, I'm curious about a couple of your beliefs that you mentioned in your quotes...

As a very young boy, I remember being SO disgusted with the Sunday school teaching about "Good Friday" and "Easter Sunday". My repeated objection that Friday to early Sunday was not even "three days", much less "three days and three nights" was simply rejected. Evidently it was "close enough for God", and must be accepted "on faith." I remember thinking something to the effect that either God was a liar, or He couldn't count.

It was shortly after this period of beginning to "study for myself" what was actually Written, as opposed to what I had been told it said, that I came upon the "Hebrew roots" set of teachings, and was overwhelmed to learn that -- once again -- God was right, and that "teaching as doctrine the traditions of men" was not. LOTS of pieces had to fall into place to see the "whole and consistent" Truth: His day begins at sunset, not 'midnight'. There are TWO Sabbaths during the week of Pesach (Passover, not the day named after the fertility goddess!) - the weekly "Saturday" Sabbath, and the "High Sabbath" of the Feast of Unleavened Bread. And He was actually "hung on the tree" on a Wednesday afternoon, "gave up the Ghost" at about 3 PM (PRECISELY at the same instant at which the High Priest in the Temple sacrificed the final lamb for his own house - the one over which he traditionally said, "I find no fault in him" - and at which time that same priest also traditionally announced "it is finished"!) and was in the tomb by dusk, or about 6 PM.

"Three days AND three nights" (Wednesday NIGHT, Thursday NIGHT, Friday NIGHT, ThursDAY, FriDAY, and SabbathDAY) means that the tomb was empty EXACTLY as He promised, "at the end of the Sabbath". What I wasn't taught was that the "beginning of the mia day of the week" was DUSK on what is now called Saturday evening!

I'd be interested in your EXACT interpretation of the timeline of Jesus' crucifixion and resurrection to see how you come up with Sabbath as the day He was resurrected. I'd be especially interested in Scripture that proves your point.

What I read is:

"At the end of the sabbaths, at the dawn, toward the first of the sabbaths, came Mary the Magdalene, and the other Mary, to see the sepulchre." (Matthew 28:1)

The "first of the sabbaths" was the first day of the week, Sunday. According to Scripture, an evening then a morning were a day. Days started at night, at dusk.

So...even if He rose on Saturday evening, He still did not rise on the Sabbath, because Sabbath ends at dusk, and a new day begins. However, the text isn't clear whether it was Saturday evening or Sunday morning on which He rose, because it was on the FIRST day of the week, not the seventh. The dawn and the "first of the sabbaths" (i.e. Sunday) constrain the resurrection to the first day of the week, not the Sabbath. It clearly indicates this happened near dawn, not at the end of the day on the Sabbath. The end of the day on the Sabbath is BEFORE dark. Dawn is AFTER dark.

Anyway, your interpretation confuses me and doesn't seem to make much sense. It seems to me that if you were concerned about "three days and three nights", then your interpretation would be even LESS appealing, because it SHORTENS the number of days by one, while Sunday would be a day LONGER than your scenario.

I'd appreciate knowing how you came up with it. I'm not really certain why this would be important anyway, except to try to add fuel to the idea that God would like us to become some type of Israelite...which brings me to my next point.

I get passionate about that one, too, of course. But this time of year [begins] the "Fall Feasts". The other place I might (or might not, given that your description was brief) disagree with your statement that "the law was fulfilled in Christ" lies in that distinction. It was the "CURSE of the 'Law'", rather than His "torah", or instruction, itself that was "nailed to the cross". After all, He said that "not one yod nor tiddle" of His Written Word (again, probably the word "torah" was actually used) would pass so long as "heaven and earth" still existed. (Matt. 5:18 et al)

Well, Colossians 2:14 says,

"...having blotted out the handwriting in the ordinances that is against us, that was contrary to us, and he has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross..."

The only other passage (by Paul as well) that contains the word "ordinances" (Gk., dogma) is Ephesians 2:15,

"...the enmity in his flesh, the LAW of the commands in ordinances having done away, that the two he might create in himself into one new man, making peace..."

Clearly there is an association here. The Law was against them--it convicted the Jews of sin. Ephesians 2:15 states quite clearly that the Law was done away. Therefore it must have been completely fulfilled, if Scripture is true.

You referred to Matthew 5:18, with the idea that it is saying that the Law will never pass away. In actuality, it doesn't say that:

"For, verily I say to you, till that the heaven and the earth may pass away, one iota or one tittle may not pass away from the law, till that all may come to pass." (Matthew 5:18)

The first "till" defines boundaries. It is stating that it is as unlikely that the heaven and earth will pass away as one iota or one tittle to pass away from the Law. But the final explanation is at the end of the verse "till that all may come to pass". Your explanation leaves out the last portion, in favor of the idea that it would not pass away "so long as heaven and earth still existed", which completely ignores the last portion of the passage, and would be logically inconsistent with it.

In other words, Jesus is saying that the Law will not pass away until all of it is fulfilled. It's more likely that the heaven and earth would pass away. However, we are told in Scripture that the Law has passed away, in passages like Ephesians 2:15 and Colossians 2:14, et al.

It is clear from Scripture that those that are in Christ are not "under the Law". Another fact evident from Scripture is that the Law was for the Israelites alone. They alone were under the Mosaic Covenant. Not us. Not anyone but Israelites. The Law was part of the Covenant. When the Old Covenant passed away, the Old Law likewise passed away (because it had been fulfilled in Christ).

God's Covenant with believers is a New Covenant, not like the Mosaic Covenant. New Covenants have new terms. The terms of the Old Covenant was the Law. But with the New Covenant there is a New Law, the Perfect Law of Liberty in Christ Jesus.

This brings up the reason for my curiosity over the second belief you offered. I don't see how anyone can believe that we are in any way under the Law, when Scripture states the contrary in very precise terms. In fact, MOST of the Law cannot even be followed today. Out of 613 ordinances, only 271 can still be followed today (due to lack of Temple, priesthood, etc.), even if one wants to do so with all of his heart. That's only 44% of the Law, at best. I don't understand why this false teaching still persists, after it was soundly dealt with in Acts 15.

John for Christ

I don't see how anyone can believe that we are in any way under the Law, when Scripture states the contrary in very precise terms.

No offense, John, but I think that the "under the law" mis-teaching is one of the most damaging "wrestings" or "twistings" of Paul/Shaul's writings, of which Peter so clearly warns (II Peter 3:15-16).

Paul taught clearly that attempts to keep 'torah' in order to EARN salvation are futile. But to turn that teaching on its head, and claim therefore that we should ignore His clear messages, repeated over and over again for our blessing, is folly. "If you love Me, keep My commands." And His commandments, as Written, "are NOT burdensome" (Deut. 30, and MANY more) -- it is the "oral tradition", the "traditions of the elders", the commandments of MEN, which attempt to make His Word "of null effect" that both our Savior and those who teach Him (like Paul) railed against.

How many examples are necessary? "I change NOT", says Malachi 3:6. Yeshua said that those who break "the LEAST" of His commandments, and make the mistake of teaching others to do so, would be called "least in the kingdom", and that others who were "without torah" (lawless, workers of iniquity, etc) would be told "I never knew you!" (Matt. 7:21-29) It was the CURSE which follows from rebellion to Him which was "done away with" -- NOT His Word. Our Kinsman-Redeemer BORE OUR GUILT; He did not make Himself a liar. What, then, is our "reasonable service"?

I have learned how to fly an airplane. Does that mean that I am no longer "under the law" of gravity? Those cocky pilots who conclude that because the "schoolmaster" or instructor is no longer seated next to them in the plane can forget the lessons that they have been taught often learn that the 'curse' still awaits those who are "disobedient" to the teachings of the Master.

We're talking about the difference between "milk" and "meat" here!

Do not confuse being forgiven and redeemed with being exempted from the requirement literally from the Beginning to be obedient to Him, to "follow Him", to "choose this day Whom you will serve".

There are lots of misleading translations around as well, John. When in doubt, turn to the original Hebrew and seek to understand what was Written. It is STILL necessary to "teach" our neighbors, because the prophecy of Jer. 31 is obviously NOT yet fulfilled!

(The Greek, to be blunt, is even worse in many cases, especially since many of those texts were almost certainly originally written in Hebrew and Aramaic -- and thus there is MORE than one intermediate translation. I guarantee you, for just one example, that the pagan word "Easter" is NOT in the original Gospels -- even if King James had it put in. Compare the four variants of the story of the women coming to the tomb as well. You correctly note that the "end of the [weekly] Sabbath" refers to the time to SUN GOES DOWN on what modern English calls "Saturday evening". The first day of the week "dawns" at sundown. If He was already OUT of the tomb when the women arrived at the end of the Sabbath [and do you think they were anxious to get there at the FIRST available opportunity, after having waited for so long?] then when did He have to leave the tomb? And, BTW, if the goal wasn't to violate His Word and "change times and seasons" to match pagan sun-god-day and Ishtar "sunrise service" tradition - what did it matter anyway?)

I can post more than one (somewhat lengthy) article on the Pesach/Passover week, based on detailed exegesis of Scripture, and consistent with Hebrew practice (probably best done in another thread anyway, if necessary.) Suffice it to say, however, that not only does the change in English reckoning of when the "day" begins cause confusion, but so does modern ignorance of the Biblical Feasts, or "God's Appointed Times". There are TWO "sabbaths" during the week of Pesach - the "High Sabbath" for the Feast of Unleavened Bread, and the regular weekly sabbath. (Lev. 23, etc.)

During the week of His sacrifice, He was tortured, convicted, and put on the execution stake on Wednesday afternoon, and died at about 3 PM (the 'ninth hour'). He was in the tomb before sundown, around 6 PM. The days (ThursDAY, FriDAY, sabbath DAY) AND three nights (Wed, Thurs, Fri) is PRECISELY as He promised (Matt. 16:4 et al), and ends up being completed late on the afternoon of the weekly sabbath, "before the first day of the week began to dawn".

"Let YHVH be True and every man a liar."

Blessings,

Mark

Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!

Psalms 133:1

Blessings,

duelingbanjos said:
Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity! Psalms 133:1

Even if they can't quite manage unanimity? (being unanimous?) :lol:

hmmmmm....

Sometimes people understand "unity" as agreement. There are two kinds of unity in Scripture. One: Unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. In other words, being peaceful with those we may not hold agreement with... and Two: Unity of the Faith. This is God's ultimate goal. Scripture tells us that we should endeavor to keep the Unity of the Spirit... until we come to the Unity of the Faith. However, some other thoughts in this regard. There is a third unity that is not spoken of in Scripture, it is "compromising unity".

On the other hand, not to get too deep on this topic (since it is a side topic in this thread), not all division is bad:

For first indeed [when] youp come together in an assembly, I hear of divisions being among youp, and to some extent I believe [it]. For it is necessary [for] heretical sects also to be among you, so that the approved [ones] become evident among you.
(1 Corinthians 11:18-19)

Even if they can't quite manage unanimity?

You guys have (once again :D ) managed to point out why I frequently remark that what the Bible actually says about polygyny is one of the LEAST difficult, and MOST obvious, of all the teachings in Scripture which involve the replacement of His commandments with the "tradition of men".

As a friend of mine first taught many years ago, "you can't show me where it [polygyny] is ever prohibited in the Bible, but I can show you where it may be required." People tend to get more worked up about what He really said about wives even than they do about Christmas trees and bacon. (No, let's not go there. ;) )

If man is allowed to do what our Savior Himself said He would NOT do - and capriciously change His own mind about what He Wrote -- then ultimately all bets are off.

I only note that, far too often, the LESS Scriptural support for a given "tradition" that there is, the MORE vehemently those who put their sacred cow ahead of the Word tend to get.

Certainly there will be things where brothers may disagree**. But (to paraphrase the title again ;) ) "this ain't one of 'em." But it IS a wonderful litmus test about whether or not people are "teachable", and ultimately willing to be like the Bereans.

Blessings,
Mark

--------------------

** Just like a husband and his wives sometimes even do. After all, we remain individuals. Perhaps that's why He gives us a picture of a future where He comes back for more than one!

Hi Mark C.,

No offense intended towards you either, but I have been standing in opposition to these false doctrines for a number of years, since God brought me out of them. I'll offer a few responses below...

No offense, John, but I think that the "under the law" mis-teaching is one of the most damaging "wrestings" or "twistings" of Paul/Shaul's writings, of which Peter so clearly warns (II Peter 3:15-16).

The same could be said of the "Messianic" doctrines that you are teaching. In light of the whole of Scripture, particularly such passages as Acts 15, I'd have to say that I'm on safe ground rejecting such doctrines.

One thing I've never heard is a reasonable explanation from Messianics concerning what the meaning of "under the Law" is. Now it seems pretty obvious that it means being under the authority of the Law, which is the way the word "hupo" (meaning "under authority") is used throughout the New Testament. It would be interesting to hear your explanation for this.

Romans 3:19 is particularly interesting, since it notes that the Law is speaking to those "in the Law", making the obvious logical conclusion that there are those that aren't in the Law. In other words, there are those to whom the Law does not apply. The Law itself says it was for the children of Israel specifically, and never states that it is for all mankind. It is limited to them, and doesn't include Gentile believers.

Paul taught clearly that attempts to keep 'torah' in order to EARN salvation are futile. But to turn that teaching on its head, and claim therefore that we should ignore His clear messages, repeated over and over again for our blessing, is folly. "If you love Me, keep My commands." And His commandments, as Written, "are NOT burdensome" (Deut. 30, and MANY more) -- it is the "oral tradition", the "traditions of the elders", the commandments of MEN, which attempt to make His Word "of null effect" that both our Savior and those who teach Him (like Paul) railed against.

You say, keep His commands. Which commands? The commands of God that one must keep are the ones that apply to them, not the commands He gave to others. He gave different people different commands at different times. Some commands overlapped or were similar, but the Scriptures show that the Law has not been eternal, nor will it last forever, but only until it is fulfilled--then it will pass away, as Matthew 5:18 says.

Before the Law was given by Moses, there was no Mosaic Law--it didn't apply to them. We can see examples of that, from the fact that Adam and Eve's children committed what would be incest under the Law, but were not held guilty, to many other things for which there was not a Law for Israel yet. For instance, there is zero evidence that anyone kept the Sabbath, until it was given as a sign and a law to Israel. Now I know you say that we just don't know, but that's a false argument from silence. The fact is, that if the Sabbath was kept, God would have mentioned it in order to provide Sabbatarians with more evidence to make their claims. God is not foolish, and has preserved His word, but has conveniently left out any proof that the Sabbath was kept prior to the Law.

During the period of the Law, ONLY the Israelites were told to keep the Law. Nobody else. God never stated at anytime that the Gentile nations had to keep the Mosaic Law. The Law was a part of the Covenant God made with Israel, which belonged to no other nation or people, only Israel. The Law was the "terms" of that Covenant--what they had to do in order to receive the benefit of that Covenant. In fact, within the Law there were penalties for violation of that Covenant, including expulsion from the congregation of Israel--expulsion from under the Covenant and its Law (which may have meant the death penalty). If you are not party to that Covenant, then you are not "under the Law", nor does the Law have any affect over you whatsoever.

Now some of the things in the Law may have an effect, but not through the Law, but on their own right. The Law was not the first place that murder was defined as wicked. That was BEFORE the Law. There was a higher Law in effect before the Mosaic Law, but people did not keep it. God gave rules specifically to Israel to help them understand the earlier, greater Law, but they failed miserably, as He expected. They were to serve as both an example of the basic unrighteousness of man compared to God and the righteousness of God through Christ (who kept the whole Mosaic Law). The earlier, greater Law is the same as the Law under the New Covenant, yet we now have the Holy Spirit to guide us in it. It is the same law that was the core of the Mosaic Law, according to Jesus: "Love the Lord your God with all your mind, will, and strength" and "Love your neighbor as yourself". The Mosaic Law may provide a practical guide to SOME of the Perfect Law, but it is not something which believers should cling to.

As for the Mosaic Law not being burdensome, Deuteronomy 30 says nothing of the kind. It says that the Law is not hidden from them, nor is it far off, but is near to their mouths and hearts to do it. However, nothing in that implies that it is not a burden. That would be contrary to the obviously complex and difficult nature of the Law, as proven by zillions of disagreements over the meaning of it for the past several thousand years, as well as the statements in Scripture that call it a burden (cf., Acts 15:10, which refers directly to the Law of Moses in verse 15:5).

How many examples are necessary? "I change NOT", says Malachi 3:6. Yeshua said that those who break "the LEAST" of His commandments, and make the mistake of teaching others to do so, would be called "least in the kingdom", and that others who were "without torah" (lawless, workers of iniquity, etc) would be told "I never knew you!" (Matt. 7:21-29) It was the CURSE which follows from rebellion to Him which was "done away with" -- NOT His Word. Our Kinsman-Redeemer BORE OUR GUILT; He did not make Himself a liar. What, then, is our "reasonable service"?

Let's look at quotes you provided:

"I change not" (Malachi 3:6) -- Does not mean that God does not change. Read the Hebrew and see that it means that God does not "duplicate" (Heb., shawnah), meaning He does not go back on His word. The context reveals that God is telling the Israelites that they aren't consumed, because He's not going back on His word, despite their disobedience. There is no passage of Scripture that actually says that God does not change, because that would be a false and foolish statement. God speaks--He changes. God does things--He changes. Movement, action, speech are all the essence of change in the most literal sense. If God did nothing whatsoever, THEN we could make the claim that He does not change. However, if one means that God does not change His Laws or judgments, this also can be proven false from Scripture, in that the Law did not exist, then it did. Therefore, there was change, especially a change by the creation of the Law. He also did not destroy Israel, despite their deserved destruction, when Moses talked Him out of it. He changed His judgment. He is a loving God, not a monstrous computer that looks at everything as if it only parses one way. He takes into consideration mankind and their foibles, which is obvious throughout Scripture.

"Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments..." (Matthew 5:19) -- This did refer to the Law, absolutely. Yet, Jesus was not speaking to believers, but to Jews, who were all under the Law. However, in the Kingdom of Heaven--which was spiritual, and is here with us now--we are not under the Law.

Matthew 7:21-29 -- There are two ways of looking at this passage, neither of which proves your point. First, if we recognize that He was speaking to Jews under the Law, then we can assume that by "anomia" (i.e. lawlessness), that He meant the Law. In that case, the passage doesn't directly apply to believers today, but only to those Jews at that time that were under the Law. On the other hand, if this is a universal prescription, then "anomia" doesn't necessarily mean the Mosaic Law, but would simply mean whatever Law one happened to be under. In our case, it would be the Perfect Law of the New Covenant, not the Mosaic Law.

Yes, He did away with the curse of the Law (Galatians 3:13), but once He fulfilled the Law, it passed away naturally, because there was no longer a need for it. The Law had performed its function, and was no longer useful.

"Our reasonable service" (Romans 12:1) -- What is our reasonable service? "I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service." Our "reasonable service" is to present our bodies a living sacrifice. In context, if one continues to read Romans 12:2-21 and beyond that, the passage indicates that our reasonable service is to treat people as we would want to be treated--which is simply the result of "Love your neighbor as yourself". At no point is obedience to the Mosaic Law indicated.

In fact, "Christ is the conclusion of the Law, for righteousness, to every one who is believing". Jesus, our Messiah, is the end, the termination, the finality, the fulfillment of the Mosaic Law. He ended the Mosaic Law.

I have learned how to fly an airplane. Does that mean that I am no longer "under the law" of gravity? Those cocky pilots who conclude that because the "schoolmaster" or instructor is no longer seated next to them in the plane can forget the lessons that they have been taught often learn that the 'curse' still awaits those who are "disobedient" to the teachings of the Master.

Your analogy is incorrect. The Mosaic Law was not an eternal Law like the Law of Gravity. It was a law for one people during the time that they were under the Mosaic Covenant.

A better analogy might be that you live in America, under American Law. But if you move to Canada, you are then under Canadian Law.

Do not confuse being forgiven and redeemed with being exempted from the requirement literally from the Beginning to be obedient to Him, to "follow Him", to "choose this day Whom you will serve".

But the question then arises, which Law are you under? If you are under the Mosaic Covenant (which passed away), then you are under the Mosaic Law. If you are under the New Covenant, then you are under the Perfect Law of Love in Christ Jesus. You cannot be under both. You've got to choose.

There are lots of misleading translations around as well, John. When in doubt, turn to the original Hebrew and seek to understand what was Written. It is STILL necessary to "teach" our neighbors, because the prophecy of Jer. 31 is obviously NOT yet fulfilled!

That's an interesting theory, but after years of study on that very question, I'd have to ask you: Which original Hebrew?

Another related question is, are you speaking of the Old Testament or the New Testament?

Today we have one popular Hebrew version of the Old Testament, the Masoretic. However, the evidence indicates that the Masoretic version was not complete until nearly 900 A.D. The oldest fragments of the Masoretic date from the 9th century A.D., but the oldest complete manuscripts are only found in the 10th and 11th centuries.

Meanwhile, back around 350 B.C. (1250 years earlier) there were a group of people hiding away various versions of the Old Testament that existed at that time, the Dead Sea Scrolls. The Samaritans have an even older version. Altogether there are at least four to five different versions (or more) of the Hebrew Old Testament, the Masoretic reflecting just one (and not reflecting it 100% either).

In fact, scholarly research has revealed that the "original" Old Testament is much more likely to have been a Hebrew version that agrees with the Septuagint. Among the Dead Sea Scrolls were a number of scrolls that had a version of the Hebrew Old Testament that followed the Septuagint version, in disagreement with the Masoretic, and evidence indicates that the Masoretic is an expansion of the Hebrew Septuagint. The ancient Samaritan text also tends to follow the Septuagint version, and it is the oldest known version of the Old Testament.

What is even MORE interesting is that the authors of the New Testament OVERWHELMINGLY preferred the Septuagint to the Hebrew text that was similar to the Masoretic. More than 80% of the quotes match the Septuagint version of the Old Testament, against the Masoretic. There are very few that agree with the Masoretic against the Septuagint (though some do).

The evidence suggests that, at the time of Christ, the Jews preferred either the Septuagint Greek version or the Hebrew Septuagint version, or some combination of both. Jesus and the apostles certainly did.

Since they preferred the Septuagint, WE should certainly do the same.

Getting to the New Testament, there are many thousands of ancient manuscripts and fragments that have been found, which represent three or four different versions: Alexandrian, Byzantine, Western, and perhaps Caesarean (though there has been some debate about that text type). ALL are in Greek. No Hebrew. No Aramaic. None whatsoever.

The closest one can come is the Old Aramaic. The Peshitta followed that one. Neither are originals, but are translations from the Greek text.

While some believe there is a Hebrew text underlying the New Testament, there is little evidence to even hint at such a thing. The closest we can come is a comment by an early church father that the book of Matthew was written in Hebrew. Yet scholars tell us without a doubt that our current Matthew was originally in Greek. It may be that Matthew wrote two originals, one in Hebrew and the other in Greek, but we have no good evidence of such a thing. But this is not true of any of the other New Testament books, which were all written originally in Greek.

Another thing that I find interesting is that Hebraic Roots people often say that there are ancient Aramaic books (which there aren't), as if Aramaic is just a dialect of Hebrew. It wasn't. It was an entirely different language. A person that spoke Hebrew wouldn't understand an Aramaic-speaking individual, and vice versa. They have many similarities, but the differences are as great as French and Spanish.

Jesus and His apostles all showed that they were multilingual, by communicating to Samaritans (who spoke Aramaic) and Romans (who spoke primarily Greek). There is some evidence that they spoke a bit of Hebrew, but not that Hebrew was their primary tongue. Most likely, the primary tongue of the Jews at the time of Christ was actually two tongues: Greek and Aramaic. This was because of the interaction of the Jews with the Romans. On the other hand, Hebrew had been a dead language for many years, and was just coming into popularity again, primarily among the priests and rabbis, and was often used in the synagogues in the reading of the Scripture. (Though it is also true that many synagogues read the Scriptures in Greek, because we have evidence of them doing so, as well as Greek inscriptions on the synagogues from the time of Christ.)

Here's the point: God doesn't prefer Hebrew. If anything, He preferred Greek during the time of Christ, because that's the language His word went out into the world in. This, of course, makes good sense if He intended the Good News to be for all mankind. Obviously, you don't force everyone to learn an obscure language, but you send it to them in a language they would understand. Greek was that language.

Concerning Jeremiah 31, how is it not fulfilled? We Christians ARE Israel, at least the Israel of this prophecy. Our "neighbors" are our brethren, and we don't need to teach them because they already know Him, from the least to the greatest of them. We already know that God ended the Covenant with Israel (Zechariah 11:10). We are the "Jerusalem above", not part of the Old Covenant (Galatians 4). We are the "Israel" of Jeremiah, which is spiritual, not physical. It was not to physical Israel that the Covenant of Abraham was given, but to Christians.

I'm going to offer to you a couple links that prove this point overwhelmingly. I'd appreciate you taking a look at them if you are willing to hear, because the argument that the Church is Israel, but physically-descended Israelites are not any longer, is a very strong one:

http://www.eternallifeministries.org/lrs_israel.htm

http://www.fisheaters.com/dispensationalism.html

Unfortunately, although I have a couple more excellent articles on this subject, in the many years since I found them, they have disappeared from the Internet. If you are interested, please let me know and I'll find a way to get them to you, even if I have to re-type them myself.

(The Greek, to be blunt, is even worse in many cases, especially since many of those texts were almost certainly originally written in Hebrew and Aramaic -- and thus there is MORE than one intermediate translation. I guarantee you, for just one example, that the pagan word "Easter" is NOT in the original Gospels -- even if King James had it put in. Compare the four variants of the story of the women coming to the tomb as well. You correctly note that the "end of the [weekly] Sabbath" refers to the time to SUN GOES DOWN on what modern English calls "Saturday evening". The first day of the week "dawns" at sundown. If He was already OUT of the tomb when the women arrived at the end of the Sabbath [and do you think they were anxious to get there at the FIRST available opportunity, after having waited for so long?] then when did He have to leave the tomb? And, BTW, if the goal wasn't to violate His Word and "change times and seasons" to match pagan sun-god-day and Ishtar "sunrise service" tradition - what did it matter anyway?)

The question I would then ask is: Which Greek texts? Certainly not the Septuagint, which is closer to the original than the Masoretic, and certainly not the New Testament texts for which there is no original Hebrew (with the exception of the book of Matthew for which there may have been an original Hebrew one parallel to the Greek one).

As for Easter, I wholly agree. That was a gloss by the translators of the King James. I consider the underlying Greek of the Scriptures first, before finalizing my beliefs about any passage of Scripture. It's important to check the accuracy of our beliefs. Sometimes I even look at the Hebrew, just to compare...

Concerning your belief that the "dawning" of the first day of the week (Sunday) was the evening after the Sabbath, I'd simply have to respond that the word for "dawn" (Gk., epiphōskō) means the same as the English word "dawn", i.e. that the sun is coming out in the morning. If the sun was coming up, it is literally impossible that it was the previous evening. The Greek is non-specific about the "end of the Sabbath", but in this case, if the women arrived at dawn, then the word translated "end" should more accurately be translated "after the end of the Sabbath". Either translation could work, except the passage constrains the timing to the morning of Sunday, so the only logical choice is "after the end of the Sabbath". Therefore, He rose on Sunday, not Saturday.

Another thing to consider is that Jesus was "resting" on both the Sabbaths in the grave. Why didn't He just rise the day of His death? The reason is that He rested both Sabbaths and rose the third day, Sunday. The women, of course, wanted to see Him at the first reasonable moment. They thought He was dead, so there would have been no reason to head to the tomb in the dark on Saturday night. Instead, the more reasonable time would be early the next morning, again on Sunday.

The question actually is, what does it matter? Here's what it matters: God went to a lot of trouble to point to the universality of His New Covenant--that it was available for all who believed, whether Jew or Gentile. He sent His word to the nations in GREEK. He sent His Good News to the nations through ministers that spoke Greek and ministered to many Greek areas. He had already preached to the "lost sheep of Israel" during His time on Earth. Some came to Him, but most Jews did not. In the end, every action of Christ indicates that He wasn't "locking up" His word to a few people in a minor nation, but that all nations would be blessed through the New Covenant. So, besides resting on the two Sabbaths, which was wholly appropriate and explains why He would lie in the grave for those two days, the best reason for His resurrection on Sunday is that He was giving us a picture of a new thing, a glorious new start for His Spiritual Israel, not according to the Covenant given to the Physical Israel. The Sabbath was a sign of Physical Israel, and He wanted to change that day in our hearts to a new sign, not of Sunday, but of a new start on ANY DAY, without retaining the old system that had passed away. He arose on Sunday to give glory to Himself as God, not to the Old Covenant which had been broken by Israel, and ended by God. That's all just a guess, but it fits the situation perfectly.

I can post more than one (somewhat lengthy) article on the Pesach/Passover week, based on detailed exegesis of Scripture, and consistent with Hebrew practice (probably best done in another thread anyway, if necessary.) Suffice it to say, however, that not only does the change in English reckoning of when the "day" begins cause confusion, but so does modern ignorance of the Biblical Feasts, or "God's Appointed Times". There are TWO "sabbaths" during the week of Pesach - the "High Sabbath" for the Feast of Unleavened Bread, and the regular weekly sabbath. (Lev. 23, etc.)

Please do post them. It would be interesting to see the Scriptures and sources for your beliefs.

As for the reckoning of the Scriptural day and the Sabbaths, I am fully aware of both, yet disagree with your conclusions, so I'd like to see how you arrive at them. You now know, from above, some of the reasons why I disagree.

During the week of His sacrifice, He was tortured, convicted, and put on the execution stake on Wednesday afternoon, and died at about 3 PM (the 'ninth hour'). He was in the tomb before sundown, around 6 PM. The days (ThursDAY, FriDAY, sabbath DAY) AND three nights (Wed, Thurs, Fri) is PRECISELY as He promised (Matt. 16:4 et al), and ends up being completed late on the afternoon of the weekly sabbath, "before the first day of the week began to dawn".

Execution stake? What is the motivation for calling it an "execution stake", and not a cross? Do you have some problem with crosses? According to recent archaeological findings, the Romans at the time of Christ in the Holy Land used a cross, not just a stake. I've never understood why the Jehovah's Witnesses and others seemed to think this was important in some way. While I'm not a huge fan of revering the cross, nevertheless, it was used by early Christians well before the time of Constantine, with evidence in the 2nd century for its use by Christians. On the other hand, no early Christians at any point used a symbol of a stake.

Getting back to your belief about the resurrection being on Saturday, I'll offer an alternative, based on the evidence for the meaning of "dawn" shown above:

Jesus died about about 3 p.m. We don't know when He was in the grave, but it is doubtful that He would be released to Joseph of Arimathea, spiced and wrapped and installed in the tomb in less than 3 hours. Depending upon the time of year that this occurred, dusk, or the end of Wednesday, would have been between 6:00-9:00pm. So Jesus may or may not have been in the grave on Wednesday. However, by looking further at the timing of His resurrection, we can determine when He arose.

Matthew 28:1 says literally, "After the end of the Sabbaths, it began to grow light into the first day of the week, and went Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the grave."

That "opseh" should be translated "after the end" is clear from the usage of that word by Greek authors:

"After the end of the week: this is the translation given by several eminent critics; and in this way the word οψε is used by the most eminent Greek writers. Thucydides, lib. iv. chap. 93, της ημερας οψε ην - the day was ended. Plutarch, οψε των βασιλεως χρονων - after the times of the king. Philostratus οψε των Τροικων - after the Trojan war."

Beyond that, we are told that this happened near dawn.

You'll note that the two Marys were going to the tomb, not that they had yet arrived. Matthew 28:2-4 indicates that the stone was rolled away and the guards fell down as dead AFTER the Marys had left to go see the tomb. Given that the earthquake and the angel of the Lord appeared then, seems to indicate that the resurrection happened then, right at dawn, or that He was at least released from the grave then..

Now, back to the "three days and three nights". If we count Thursday night then day, Friday night then day, and Saturday night then day, then Jesus was in the grave "three days and three nights". Now some may complain that He was in more if He resurrected Himself on Sunday morning, but we KNOW that He came out of the grave on Sunday morning, so we have to backtrack to determine when He was then buried. So, He must have been buried Thursday night, and been in the grave for three FULL days and nights, and WAITED until Sunday morning, in order to fulfill His prophecy.

Our choice is to believe that He was in the grave a little less than three days or a little more than three days, or exactly three days, but where Thursday night and Sunday night (the first part of Sunday) were counted as one night by adding the difference together. Since a little less than three days may have satisfied the Jews, but would not have been literally true, we should assume that He was in the grave AT LEAST three days in order to fulfill prophecy. In any case, we are constrained to Sunday morning as His resurrection, because that's what Scripture says (i.e., the first day of the week).

Early Christians are recorded as having celebrated on Sunday and Gentile Christians aren't recorded as keeping the Sabbath, so it leads us to the belief that He arose on Sunday, according to historical records.

Again, we are simply told it was dawn of the first day of the week, so none of the other arguments really matter. Just the facts.

"Let YHVH be True and every man a liar."

Amen! So...are we going to let Him be true, or insist upon our own beliefs?

John for Christ

There is obviously a whole lot that we are not going to agree on, John. Admittedly, this issue is a digression from the thread topic (other than the fact that those who deny what YHVH Wrote about marriage often claim He changed His mind about that, of course) so let's start here, because it makes that issue clear:

Concerning Jeremiah 31, how is it not fulfilled?

Jer. 31:33-34 -- re: the new covenant (that 'they broke, though I was a husband to them')
"After those days, saith YHVH, I will put my torah in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts...And they shall teach no more every man his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, Know YHVH: for they shall all know Me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them...

If you think that has already been fulfilled, then we will doubtless find little agreement elsewhere.

Not only do most men, neighbors, and brothers NOT know Him, or His Word, but the need for teaching is arguably greater now than ever, I contend.

Here's the point: God doesn't prefer Hebrew. If anything, He preferred Greek during the time of Christ...

Which is why He taught and spoke in Greek, no doubt. :D
Sorry, John - no sale; not even close. There is little disagreement that many post-tanakh texts, obviously including Matthew and Revelation, and a number of the letters, were written originally in Hebrew or Aramaic and then translated to Greek. Well over twenty variants, for example, of what is sometimes called "Shem Tov's Matthew" still survive.

Much of the rest of the false doctrine that the "law" has been "done away with" arises from the misunderstanding of the Hebrew word "torah" itself, and the fact that "nomos" is not an adequate rendering of that concept, even in Greek.

The Hebrew word "torah" is far better understood as His "teaching" and "instruction" than with the simplistic, and thus misleading, rendering of "Law". Better, however, is to recognize that the scientific meaning of the English word "law" comes far closer to the Hebrew understanding than the common legalistic thinking: a "law" is something that is observed to ALWAYS be True.

One thing I've never heard is a reasonable explanation from Messianics concerning what the meaning of "under the Law" is.

One such explanation was given in another closely related thread here on BF yesterday, John. Are you "under" the "law of gravity"?

Yeshua's sacrifice did not "do away with" the Law of Gravity. The physical constants of His universe remain, even though "knowledge increases". Most pandemic diseases STILL "jump the species barrier" from pigs to man because He did not change our DNA, either. If you jump off a cliff, you will see that you are still "under the law" of gravity, just as surely as it remains true that we reap what we sow.

What changed is that we were redeemed from the curse (death) associated with our rebellion to Him. Do not confuse that (Rom. 5:11- 6:1) with the "wresting" of Paul's utterly torah-based teaching that we are not to "sin more" that "grace might abound". The correct point of Acts 15 (v 21) is that the Writings of Moses were (then, of course) taught "in every city" on "every sabbath day".

But even that is only PART of the story!

The "yoke" and "burdens" that Yahushua railed against the "hypocrites" so consistently about were the so-called "law" ("oral law", "traditions of the elders", later talmud, etc) by which evil men consistently made the "commandments of YHVH" of "null effect". That distinction has been blurred ever since as well, by men who continue to do the very same thing, and "teach as doctrine the commandments of men".

One can be "under" a yoke or a burden, but His torah is "perfect" (Psalm 19 has not been done away with). It is only a contradiction to those who cannot see how one can be FREE indeed -- as a bondservant to Him.

Until you understand those distinctions, John, the difference -- between what "is Written", and what has been "added to" His Word -- that both Shaul/Paul and the Messiah made SO repeatedly clear will suffer from the "twisting" that Peter clearly warned against. (II Peter 3:15-16)

Blessings in Him,

Mark

PS> I consider dispensationalism a heresy (and pre-trib rapture an unsupported fantasy), although again one not relevant to this thread. It is part of the reason that I tend to avoid misleading terms like "messianic judaism" and in general avoid such descriptions to describe anything associated with my own reading of Scripture. Do not assume from things I have not said, in other words, that I have taken a position on replacement theology.

As for the Easter issue, I'll try to post some of that in the near future, in another thread. The 'stake' reference, however, is to Gal. 3:13, and to Deut. 21:22-23; the 'crosspiece' stretching the arms is in turn affixed to the tree, which is how that important prophecy is fulfilled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back