• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Post count per page

Preferred number of posts per page

Votes: 1 5.3%

Votes: 16 84.2%

Votes: 2 10.5%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

FollowingHim

Administrator
Staff member
Real Person
Male
A user has requested that the number of posts per page be increased, because they find having only 20 posts per page is a problem when reading long threads.

Unfortunately, this is a global setting that affects everyone. And I set this to 20 posts when we set up the software for two reasons: to be far better than the old forum (which had only 10 posts per page), while not being too much for mobile browsers or slow computers (in a thread with lots of embedded images and videos, or very long posts, this can be a problem).

But what do you think the number of posts per page should be?

Technical experts (there are several on the forum), I'm keen to hear your opinions below. I don't want to change this unless it's really needed as there's a risk it could break links between pages (due to a flaw in Xenforo's url system).

Thanks,
Samuel

Ya I don't think you want to mess with this and run the risk of broken links or bad referrals.

I think where it is is fairly nice, I only sometimes have to refer across pages. But in really long threads the pagination helps break up the reading so I don't get lost somewhere in a super long thread.

I'm like @rockfox; if posts get long, even 20 on a page makes it difficult to get through before you can take a break without losing your place. And it's even more difficult if I can't get onto the computer for a while when I'm travelling and have to use my cell phone (which is old and slow). Just my TCW.

Not complaining, but threads often take a wide right or left turn. Mods can separate those more often to reduce the noise too.

I can see why someone would want to increase this, but I am in agreement with everyone else so far - let’s not change something that isn’t broken.

I like what we have.

At least we no longer have Dr So-and-So writing entire essays in each post. In those days it took a solid week to read a page. If you read it at all.

I like what we have.

At least we no longer have Dr So-and-So writing entire essays in each post. In those days it took a solid week to read a page. If you read it at all.
Amen. We have never missed his contributions.

Sometime back we joked about limiting the number of posts a person could make during a day/week/month. I still think there is merit in it. People would think twice before spending one of their X posts.

Sometime back we joked about limiting the number of posts a person could make during a day/week/month. I still think there is merit in it. People would think twice before spending one of their X posts.
I've been on forums like this, but they limited it by how many in a short span. They didn't want someone just posting endlessly and hogging the pages. I think merit to that approach but totally a buzz kill when you're in a groove and want to make a point or two in different threads.

Unfortunately that's not possible by default, though we could buy addons to do it. I'd like to be able to limit the number of posts by a person in a day, so we could slap that restriction on the occasional person who is being unreasonable, as a softer first-step rather than having to put them on post approval to calm them down. Wouldn't want to restrict everyone, but it could be a handy tool for certain individuals sometimes.

Back