• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Question: When is it proper to disobey higher authority?

Jim an Apostle

Real Person
Male
Question: When is it proper to disobey higher authority?

Earthly authority is often feared because there is no clear understanding of the role of proper rebellion. How about disobedience to God? Could that ever be proper? It would seem the answer would be, NO! However, there was a time when Moses did not obey, and was not rebuked for it.

Exodus 32:9-12

And the Lord said unto Moses, I have seen this people, and, behold, it is a stiffnecked people: [10] Now therefore let me alone, that my wrath may wax hot against them, and that I may consume them: and I will make of thee a great nation. [11] And Moses besought the Lord his God, and said, Lord, why doth thy wrath wax hot against thy people, which thou hast brought forth out of the land of Egypt with great power, and with a mighty hand? [12] Wherefore should the Egyptians speak, and say, For mischief did he bring them out, to slay them in the mountains, and to consume them from the face of the earth? Turn from thy fierce wrath, and repent of this evil against thy people.

So, when is disobedience OK?

I see five criteria by which to judge an act of disobedience:

1. Circumstances beyond one’s control.

2. When one has access to superior information based upon superior logic, not emotion.

3. When the consequences of obedience are not justifiable.

4. What is the effect upon the authority of the Kingdom?

5. Are you ready to stand before Judgment of a Higher Authority for your action, even if it means standing before God alone.

All of these factors must be balanced against each other to arrive at a correct decision. For example:

All authority is demonstrated by the parent/child relationship.

Momma tells Sally to wash the dishes while she (momma) goes to run an errand. Unknown to momma, the city has just shut the water off for repair. Momma returns and the dishes are not done. Did Sally disobey? Technically yes! Was it rebellion? NO! Unknown and unforeseen circumstances made it impossible for Sally to fulfill the command.

How about if a wife is driving and the husband says, “Get in the other lane, now.” She looks in the mirror and an oncoming semi will not allow her to change lanes safely. She has the mirror that he does not have. Maybe he is reading the map. Because she has access to more information, and the consequences would be too great, she is right to not change lanes “now.”

The wife is driving again, and the husband says, “Turn right at the next light. The park is down this street.” The wife knows the park is not down that street at all, but the husband insists that it is; what should she do? Turn! The damage to the authority of the Kingdom would be greater than the consequence of getting to the park a few minutes later.

Moses reminded God of the consequence to the Kingdom, if God carried out His plan to destroy all Israel, at that time; and he prevailed. Moses was so convinced, that he argued with God about the matter! Moses had a line of reasoning that God accepted. It was not emotion, or making an excuse. Moses was truly ‘looking out’ for the Kingdom.

It is easy to say that your opinion justifies your disobedience. Be very careful. It is the exception, not the rule. If you deem the authority in your life to be incompetent, be prepared to become the authority, and to face the judgment for it.

If the authority in your life is ordained of God, remember, the damage to the Kingdom for disobedience is not just an effect in this world. God told David:

2 Samuel 12:14

Howbeit, because by this deed thou hast given great occasion to the enemies of the Lord to blaspheme, the child also that is born unto thee shall surely die.

It was not the earthly enemies, but rather the demons and fallen angels that are primarily referred to here.

Is our rebellion like David’s... selfish? Or, like Moses... protecting the Kingdom and God’s honor. Is our allegiance to those under our authority...? or to ourselves...? or to those over us in the Lord, and to God?

Sometimes, just being “right” is not enough! Order must be maintained! It is not hard to find the ends of this matter; but as in all things, the trick is to find the proper balance.

Back