• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Quiverfull and Polygamy?

Heather

My husband and I are "quiverfull" in belief, as we feel it is God's ordained plan for his children. We have only recently been discussing polygamy and trying to understand what God's plan for us is in that area. I started to wonder how many Christ following polygamists were also quiverfull.

I think God may be leading us to add to our family, but I do have "fears" about being in a polygamous marriage. Honestly, of course, the jealousy over sharing my husband would be one. Next would be the fact that although we are financially stable, if we added more wives and children, it would come to where my husband could not support us on his income.

As for the quiverfull position I will not dive into that position as the conscience of your husband is key for you in that area.

However, if you are are concerned about income I would suggest that you and your husband study carefully Proverbs 31. Clearly in that text the woman contributed to the income of the family. Thus, biblically, philosophically, pragmatically, and economically if the wives each contribute, as allowed and honored by biblical precedent, then the family can indeed do well in the stewardship of their finances with the grace of God providing plenty.

However, if your man/head says no one is to work then he would likely either need to be very wealthy himself or choose not to take other wives in order not to stress the family out financially. But, again, and I stress this point, the man/head would be the one to make this choice and his choice is the choice you are to follow and trust. God will handle the rest. Your man may be led by the Lord in such a way that differs from this advice and counsel and thus without him directly asking I have to leave it at this so as not to overstep any bounds. My answer to him might differ some, or it may not depending upon the circumstances, but in either case your man would be the final one to determine what is right for those whom are under his care.

Thank you. I actually have done CTBHHM and love the Pearls. :D I learned a lot about being a wife and my relationship with him and Christ because of this. I used to think I had to be the boss. That was a rude awakening, and a big hint ot why our marriage had struggles like it did.

Anyhow, my husband does not believe women should have to work outside of the home, but he is supportive of home based business. We also are staunch believers in homeschooling. :D I am actually starting my own business soon, and pray it will be lucrative for us. I have a degree, but is medical and requires me to be out of the home, and as I said, my hubby is against that. I have been thinking of training to be a midwife, but haven't decided on that yet.

Hi Heather. To answer your question; my wife and I have never used any birth-control and have plenty of kids, but do not call ourselves 'quiverfull'. If we were ever blessed with further wives, the same principal would apply regardless of economic circumstances. But speaking of economics, we are business owners and husband wife and older children work outside the home alongside our other employees. ylop

Hi Heather! We do not use birth control either, but don't really classify ourselves as "quiver full" even though we kind of fit the bill with having 4 children in 6 years (and another in the oven) with no plan ofstopping. :) And with SW's children, we will have 8 total by the spring, ages 8 and under, although 2 of hers are from a previous marriage. I guess we wouldn't say we are of the "quiver full" persuasion since hubby believes that spiritual children are just as important as biological and as Christians, we should want to make arrows out of the people that are already here, if that makes sense. But we do think children are a blessing and feel we miss out on blessings when we choose to control that although I don't judge those who choose to try to control it. Anyway, hubby has commented that one would think those of the quiver full movement would be all about polygyny since a man can have more children that way so maybe polygyny will catch on eventually with some of them. :)

As far as income, perhaps there are ways your family could cut down on spending in various ways to make room for another wife (if that is what your husband wants) or God will show you all how to do things from home to make money as mentioned. Keep us posted on how your family is led!

I'm a total newbie here but had to jump in quickly as I was just wondering the same thing today-if there were others here that were anti-BC and 'pro-poly'..I think our family outgrew the Quiverfull concept somewhat but still that is quite close to how we think.
We currently do not have a SW as the idea has only recently come up,but are enthusiastically learning.We simply had NO IDEA that there were likeminded ppl out here in the cyberspace ;)

Hello Anna,

Welcome to the site. You should be receiving here shortly an introductory package via email.

Feel free to browse around and meet some new people.

Visit the teaching forums viewforum.php?f=57 and if you have any questions along the way then please let us know.

You can reach the staff at staff@biblicalfamilies.

Grace to you.

Back