• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Raising A Modern-Day Knight

Nikud

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
Raising A Modern-Day Knight
A Father's role in Guiding His Son to Authentic Manhood
By: Robert Lewis

What is a man?
Is he someone who is strong and tall?
Or is taut and talented as he plays ball?
Is he someone who is hardened and rough,
Who smokes and drinks enough?
Is he someone who chases women hard,
With a quest to conquer, but never dropping his gaurd?
Is he someone with a good buisness mind,
Who gets ahead of the others with his nose to the grind?
Or is he someone who tries his best,
Not really caring about any of the rest?
What is a man? Does anyone really know?
TELL ME
Who is the prototype? To whom I shall go?

Our Modern culure is lacking in rights of passage from boyhood to becoming a man. The few we have are under attack. This book gives fathers a fresh look at an old institution. A way to instill validation and a moral code of conduct in our sons. A way to take them on a rite of passage to manhood. Every knight needs a king and who better to serve than our L-rd and saviour the King of Kings.

I really like this book and I'm still trying to instill the proper discipline in my sons but I believe that with the ideals of this book that my boys will grow up to be good G-d fearing Men. I'm not saying the book has all the answers but it's a really good base to work from.

Edit: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...EAgwQFgglMAA&usg=AOvVaw2Tl-jkVUC0KXBIQ3uCkLT8

RMDK Study Starter Pack

Sample detailed overview on facilitating the RMDK study course for dads.
RMDK Study Starter Pack.doc

Dad's Commitment Ceremony Outline
Outline and sample directives for conducting the DCC
Ceremony Description Outline for Dads.do[...]

Dad's Commitment Certificate
Certificate for dad to present to son after participating in the commitment ceremony. There is room to place a picture of dad & son from the ceremony on the certificate.
RMDK_cert.jpg

Real Man Definition Study
Four-part study for dads to introduce and expand the definitions of what being a real man means. Includes flash cards for description and supporting bible verses, and fun Madagascar Penguin excercise
RealManDefinitionStudy.zip

Study of the 4 key characteristics of Christ as he matured
Four-part study based on Luke 2:52 covering increasing in: wisdom, stature, favor with God, and favor with men.
Christ Characteristics Study.doc

Preparation-for-baptism study incorporating RMDK training
Interactive study for dads helping prepare their sons for baptism.
RMDK Baptism Prep Class.doc

Code of Conduct for framing
Code of Conduct with supporting Bible scripture. Replace Coat of Arms with your own or other meaningful picutre.
Code of Conduct.docx

Last edited:
I really enjoyed that book when my boys were younger, and I and I am confident it influenced my life, but I cannot point to specifics of how. Good stuff though.

Please, allow me to recommend the following book, if I may;
Teach Them Diligently: How To Use The Scriptures In Child Training by Louis Paul Priolo
Amazon link follows
https://goo.gl/e3nHHy

Although it is not focused on training boys to become men specifically, it has very sound instructions on how to raise godly children for both sexes. It has an express focus on actively applying the Word of God in the process of parenting & disciplining your children.

I also agree whole-hardheartedly that the knowledge of training boys to become Godly men is hard to find. Again, thank you for the post/message & the list you have provided. I will be looking into these over the Christmas break.

BTW, I know of a "rite of passage" that fathers such as ourselves might be interested in. It's called St. Vincent Island in Florida. Here is a link to the google map - https://goo.gl/CrUP2t

Florida Wildlife Commission opens the island up 2 times a year. Once in NOV & once in January for primitive hunting. I have a close male friend that has been going there for years with teens for the adventure, bonding & experiencing the outdoors. You must apply via an application and a lottery is held to select the quoted number of hunters(solo or group). Important note - every youth must be accompanied by an adult one-for-one, according to the instruction document provided below.

Here is the official pdf from US Fish & Wildlife Service - https://www.fws.gov/southeast/pdf/regulations/st-vincent-national-wildlife-refuge-hunt.pdf

Here is the website to the wildlife park - https://www.fws.gov/refuge/st_vincent/

Coordinating this type of experiencing is no easy task. Many father's find it easier to join a group such as Boy Scouts or Trail Life USA. But all boys need experiences like the one I am describing. I pray, that our Lord & Saviour Jesus Christ along with the Holy Spirit, give us the character qualities & financial resources required to organize & administer such an wilderness experience for our boys BY OURSELVES & FOR OURSELVES AND THE FOR THE SAKE OF OUR BOYS. It will mean much much more to them later on down the road as they reflect on the character of a father that organized such an expedition as the one I am describing. They need it way more than we do. God bless you as a father and your boys this Christmas 2017.

When I was 12 my Grandpa would take me and a couple of cousins drop us of at a trapper shack we had on a hunting lease every July 1st. We had some of the basics no protein but 22s and fishing poles. We had to get everything cleared and set up for deer season. He'd pick us up Aug 1st. It made us more independent and self reliant while teaching us to work together at the same time. Then hunting season would come and he'd drop us off again sometimes for a weekend most of the time but also for Thanksgiving and Christmas break only picking us up for the holiday. It was validating to know he trusted us and knew we could get the job done without supervision. I remember walking in the house with my chest puffed up every time I brought a deer, wild hog, or a mess of squirrels and Rabbits home.

When I was doing more work with teenaged and early 20s young men, we'd send them off in the woods for a few days to a week for fasting and praying (mini-vision-quest sort of thing), which was good for what it was, but never focused on the manly arts of hunting and survival. :(

I pray, that our Lord & Saviour Jesus Christ along with the Holy Spirit, give us the character qualities & financial resources required to organize & administer such an wilderness experience for our boys BY OURSELVES & FOR OURSELVES AND THE FOR THE SAKE OF OUR BOYS.
Bless you, this is awesome.

Y'all bookmark this for discussion and planning at the 2018 summer conference and retreat. We've got some big stuff coming up in 2018, and establishing a significant 'coming of age' rite of passage for young men would be an incredible benefit to the group and its members.

Back