• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

reasons for wanting a sister wife that are deal breakers

I think it is fair to say that these are benefits that one may have with a wife, without the expectation that it should be so.

To be frank, any man who cannot be bothered to wash on a daily basis, is unlikely to draw even one woman to him.
It is not my responsibility to remind a man he needs to be clean, if he cannot take care of himself, how on earth can he take care of one, let alone, more women?

B

Bels, it can be hard for a single man to remember to prioritise showering above more important activities - but once there's a naked woman in there priorities can take a sudden turn for the better... ;)

FollowingHim said:
Bels, it can be hard for a single man to remember to prioritise showering above more important activities - but once there's a naked woman in there priorities can take a sudden turn for the better... ;)

I am sorry but that totally grosses me out. I like clean men....:p

try' "my wife isnt ready for a sister wife so be patient"
while you cook, clean, take care of our children..for 10
months.(I finally left)
.lol funny now, not then..Amanah

10 months?

you win the "Patience in the Face of Absurdity" award :)

From the wife's perspective:

I need another vote on my side.

So my bride and I were discussing this. I had to think about what the Bible says are reasons to get married and if it is a good reason for the first wife, it would carry that it is a good reason for the second and on....
- Adam was lonely, and needed help around the house (garden of eden) SO GOD MADE HIM HELPMEET!!
- Lots of men- to breed. Putting it crassly but, man+ infertile woman add another wife/ concubine(wife) to have kids
- If desire will cause you to stumble.
- If you think she is hot. (see referenced verses about captive women)
- If she has been widowed (Ruth and commands about taking on your brother's wife)

So, and I know it makes me sound bad, but it boils down to a few of reasons. 1) Man is attracted to the lady 2) Man (or one of the wives) wants more kids 3) to take care of a lady who lost her hubby and 4) Man needs a helper

Corrections? additions?

captainjonathan said:
So, and I know it makes me sound bad, but it boils down to a few of reasons. 1) Man is attracted to the lady 2) Man (or one of the wives) wants more kids 3) to take care of a lady who lost her hubby and 4) Man needs a helper

Corrections? additions?

Overall, Capt., I would agree with you... But not completely. What you stated is true in what the Bible actually says in reference to reasons for covenant unions. If we actually lived in a polygynous society, then any one or all of the reasons you listed would be appropriate and no one would care. However, to completely avoid or ignore the current sociopolitical environ as pro-monogamist would be unwise. The stresses on the relationship from outside the family are so high, that the only hope of success is if the participants are true Godly Christians and can actively defend that position and belief when questioned about it even to the point of incarceration.

In short, it doesn’t make you sound bad – it is what it is. It’s right there in your Bible in black and white (sometimes red). Sadly, it just isn’t as simplistic today as God intended it to be. God made all of this (everything, literally) very simple. Especially covenant unions.

We are called to be a peculiar people. In the world, not of it.

I know the reality of the world we live in. There will come a point, and has been in the past, where we as Christians are put to death for our faith. What part of what we believe should we set aside for the world?

Should we not be of service to our brothers and sisters in Christ, and thus help them to remain pure, because the world says it is wrong? Should our churches marry gay people because it is the PC thing to do?

I agree that we should enter this seriously and count the costs. Just where the line is, that is difficult. If I err, I hope it is on the side of being too passionate for my God.

captainjonathan said:
I agree that we should enter this seriously and count the costs. Just where the line is, that is difficult. If I err, I hope it is on the side of being too passionate for my God.
Hear, hear! :roll: :geek:

And of Loving His people!

If we actually lived in a polygynous society, then any one or all of the reasons you listed would be appropriate and no one would care. However, to completely avoid or ignore the current sociopolitical environ as pro-monogamist would be unwise.

please help me understand this statement, it sounds as if you are saying that the given reasons are not legitimate because of the views of the society in which we live.
I am sure that that cannot be what you mean. could you help out us slow ones?

The fault is more likely mine and how I stated it. It wasn't meant to be taken as profound inspiration.

They are legitimate but for in the views of this society. I was simply stating that as legitimate as they are, to ignore the society stressors would not be smart. I'm sure nearly all of us would agree on this, so I felt I was more restating the obvious and perhaps rushed the statement to avoid what would equate to "preaching to the choir".

The purpose of the reply was simply to reaffirm the good Capt's summation of acceptable reasons and reject his assertion that it made him sound bad.

They are legitimate but for in the views of this society
well, since poly is not considered legitimate in this society, why would their views on the legitimacy of specific reasons be of any concern?

I may be wrong, but I feel we're getting sidetracked on a tertiary issue. I'm gonna try to gracefully bow out and throw in the towel on this.

ok
I think that people get the gist of what we are saying, but we were discussing whether society's opinion of our reasons for taking another wife would be a deal breaker.
not exactly a sidetrack.

True. In that case, I take my towel back :) and say that it then becomes a matter of what is classified as subjective consideration and what is objectively allowed. What one's friends and family think, definitely gets put in the Subjective column. The things that Capt listed, Objective column; however, they may still be considered subjective deal breakers for each individual.

Taking into account the actual topic of the thread, as you stated, I can see that outside influences would not be a deal breaker for wanting a sister wife unless one is pressured into it. Which is highly unlikely outside of certain sects who abuse the sanctity of it.

I like this one..."My family is a disaster, and I want to find another woman for my husband so that he will stop cheating!"

Gideon_70 said:
I like this one..."My family is a disaster, and I want to find another woman for my husband so that he will stop cheating!"

Hey I know that guy.

Back