• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Recipes

The Duke Of Marshall

Real Person
Male
Ok, call me weird, but I love to cook. (It's the cleaning up part that I hate!) I was just wondering if anyone out there had any good recipes. Below is my one of my favorite deserts.

Cold Bread Pudding

2 Eggs
8-10 Unused Biscuits (I've never done it with canned or frozen biscuits. I've always done it with my homemade biscuits.)
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
1 1/2 Cups Sugar
2 1/2 Cups Milk

Cut biscuits open and place in a bowl, pour 2 cups of milk over and let soak at room teperature for 30 minutes or longer. Beat eggs and sugar and 1/2 cup of milk together. Combine biscuits and milk and add vanilla. Pour in pan and bake 45 minutes at 375*. Raisins may be added before baking if desired.

Parmesan Potato Sticks

Ingredients
4 medium russet potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
Coarsely ground black pepper
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
Sour cream and chive dip (see Tip, below)

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Baking Time: 20-30 minutes
Serves 6 to 8

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 450F. Lightly grease two 15x10x1-inch jelly-roll pans. Cut potatoes into sticks, about 3x1/4x1/4 inches.

2. Place potato sticks in a medium bowl. Add oil, salt and pepper; toss to coat. Combine Parmesan and bread crumbs in a small bowl; mix well. Add Parmesan mixture to potatoes; toss to coat well. Arrange potato sticks in a single layer in prepared pans.

3. Bake potato sticks, turning once, until they are lightly golden and tender when pierced with a fork, 20-30 minutes. Cool slightly in pans. Serve warm with sour cream and chive dip.

This is yummy. It can be done also as sweet potato sticks substituting some buttery coating with cinammon and sweetner tossed in instead of parmesan. Kids love this!!

Now we're speaking my language! I love baking. Now I just have to decide which recipe to share first. Hmmm...how about:

Pumpkin Cookies with Cream Cheese Icing

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup ( 1 stick) butter, softened
1 15 oz can pumpkin (not the pie mix)
2 large eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans ( chop 'em, then measure 'em)

Preheat oven to 375 F. In medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and spices, blending well with whisk. In a seperate large bowl, beat butter on medium speed until it begins to lighten. Gradually add sugar and continue to beat until it becomes light and fluffy. Beat in pumpkin. Add eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition. Slowly stir in the dry ingredients, mixing well. Finally, fold in the nuts. Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls (not measuring spoons but real teaspoons like you would use to stir tea) onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until the edges are set. (These cookies will not brown very much except on the tips of any peaks left over from dropping them. So, watch for them to puff and not look wet in the middle. If in doubt, you can use the toothpick test on them just like you would for cake. You want to have a few moist crumbs without the pick looking wet. If the pick comes out completely clean, then your cookies or cake are actually slightly overdone. They will continue to cook a little after being removed from the oven, so you don't want them too wet or too dry. Just a little extra tip, there. Lots of people have asked me how I get things to turn out moist but not underdone. That's how.) Immediately remove from cookie sheet to cooling rack. Makes about 3 dozen cookies, depending on how rounded your teaspoons were!

Now for that Cream Cheese Icing:

3 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar (sifted, so you don't get little clumpies in your icing)
about 1 tablespoon milk or cream

In medium bowl, mix the cream cheese until it begins to lighten. Then, add the vanilla. Slowly add the powdered sugar, blending smooth after each addition. Add up to 1 tablespoon milk or cream, if necessary, to reach desired spreading consistency. Spread on warm cookies for a glazed effect, or wait until the cookies have cooled for a thicker frosting.

I like to add a dash of cinnamon or a sprinkle of nuts on top as a little decoration, and...voila!

These are perfect for Thanksgiving or Christmas, or any time. Plus, you don't have to feel as guilty about eating them thanks to all the vitamin A and fiber! Pumpkin pie in a cookie...it don't get much better than that! Enjoy!

Stuffed Cabbage Leaves

This is very healthy and makes your house smell VERY good!

Ing: 1 large cabbage
2 cups cooked brown rice
fresh basil leaves
thyme
rosemary
1 onion
5 cloves of garlic
optional: chick peas/ eggplant/ meat
Sauce ing. Tomato puree/diced tomatoes with basil warmed together on stove top slightly

Steam cabbage, saute onion, mince herbs, saute. add optional ing. to saute along with rice
Drain cabbage, let cool.

Stuff cabbage with 2 T of rice/saute mix per cabbage leaf. Use water to coat top of leaves slightly
Oil bottom of baking pan, arrange leaves evenly.

Cook with no lid 30 min, add sauce over cabbage and cook covered another 30 min- checking frequently adding water if neccesary. (cabbage has tendency to stiffen if not kept moist.)
Makes enough for like 4 people.

Hey, where are the frog leg recipes? lol

Hi Sorry , not so experienced at cooking meat...or "chicken"

One of our summertimes favorites - not really a "recipe" -- but, if you haven't done this before, give it a try ;)

Cut up in small chunks zucchini, yellow squash and vidalia (or other sweet) onions in a large piece of tin foil --------- put a dab of butter on it (how much just depends on how many pieces of veggies you have - it is mostly to keep them moist and add a little flavor) -- wrap it up nice and tight. Turn your grill on low....... put in grill with cover down and cook about 45 min to an hour (til all is tender). Delicious! Even the kids love it :D

Shari

Brother Duke,
I am like you in that I Love to cook. Having been working for the past 18+ years on a 2 man crew offshore.....well lets say with no cook you soon learn how. I learned how to cook in my early teens as I stood in the kitchen and watched momma cook. Got married and started having kids right away....so as a means to help Chaplains Rose out....I would cook for her and the kids when I was home. So far I have not heard too many complaints about my cooking from friends or family. Most of my cooking, about 99.9% of it, has no recipe to follow. If I am cooking a big pot of chili or chicken, sausage, tasso and okra gumbo then I just cook it. I add some of this, a little of that, a few dashes of this......I never measure or write it down....I just do it. Now, I do have some simple things that I cook such as my lizard bread. Yes y'all read it right..LIZARD Bread.....that is a name that an ole cook offshore called it and I have just stuck with the name.......Now here is where the fun comes in. Take all of the kids and have them start catching as many lizards as they can.......................................NO, NO.......I am just kidding, Just kidding....trying to have a little fun here..............you don't use real lizards to make this.....................Another name for lizard bread is just plain ole STUFF bread. Below is how to make it.

to make 1 loaf of Lizard Bread you need the following:

1 box of Hot Roll mix

1 pound of your favorite meat ( chopped up smoked turkey / chicken breast, Black Forest Ham, VA. baked ham, I like Jimmy Deans Hot breakfast sausage.)

1 pound of your favorite grated cheese ( I like pepperjack )

Follow directions on box of Hot Roll mix to prepare it. If using sausage, brown and drain same.
Preheat oven per directions on Hot Roll mix.

Once dough is ready, flower a large cookie sheet and spread dough out on pan until it is flat and thin. Spread your favorite meat across flattened dough but not too close to the sides. Cover said meat with cheese. Once done, take and bring the long sides toward the middle ( to where it looks like french bread ) making sure to over lap about a 1/4 inch. Placed your lizard bread on another " pam coated " or non stick cookie sheet and bake in oven per directions on Hot Roll mix box or until browned. Once done, remove from oven and let cool. Once cool, you then can slice it and make small finger snacks wit it.

Lizard Bread goes good at parties or even at church functions and is really easy to make once you learn how......and it is really cheap to make....depending on what meat you use.

Mmmm!!! What a GREAT idea! I love learning and sharing recipes!

Here's my contribution:

Curried Chicken
4 boneless skinless chicken breast cut into small pieces, about 1 inch or smaller
1-2 onions chopped
2-4 carrots chopped
4-7 cloves garlic chopped
about 1-2 TBS fresh ginger finely diced (or 1/4 tsp dried)
4 TBS butter (though sometimes we use sesame seed oil) plus a little more for cooking chicken
1/4-1/2 cup curry powder
3 TBS flour
1 can coconut milk
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup of either of the following - raisins, dried cherries, dried apricots, dried currents, or pineapple

In a very large skillet with lid cook chicken until done and slightly brown (using some oil, but not too much). remove chicken and set aside. In same skillet over medium heat sauté onions, carrots, cloves, and ginger in the butter for about ten minutes or until onions begin to soften. Mix curry and flour and add too veritable mix. Once curry and flour is fully mixed in with vegetables add the coconut milk and chicken broth, stirring to keep lumps from forming. Add dried fruit and cooked chicken. Bring to a boil, then turning down heat, simmer, covered, until thickened (about 1/2 an hour). Serve hot over cooked rice (Basmati rice is the best we've found).

Enjoy!!

I just found what perhaps may be the coolest recipe ever! :D

Watermelonade
242611_116.jpg

Servings: Makes 1 gallon (serves 16)

Ingredients:
1 (12-lb) watermelon (preferably seedless)
1/4 cup sugar, divided
4 tsp fresh lemon juice, divided
16 cups ice cubes, divided

Garnish: lemon slices; mint sprigs

Preparation:
Cut watermelon flesh into 2-inch chunks and discard rind. Purée one fourth of watermelon in a blender with 1 Tbsp sugar, 1 tsp lemon juice, 4 cups ice, and a pinch of salt. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a large bowl, discarding solids. Make 3 more batches. Add sugar to taste if desired and serve over ice.

Cooks' note: Watermelonade can be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered. Drink will separate; re-blend before serving.

Who can resist drinkable watermelon?!

Back