• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Recommended government policies protecting women & children?

JustAGuy

Male
Continuing the discussion about how Kenya's government is legislating marriages w/more than one wife...

History shows women & children are often taken advantage of by men via abandonment, loss of financial support, etc.

Requiring first wife's approval (before marriage to 2nd wife) is overly restrictive. And while I'm less-government-is-better person it's reasonable for government to offer protections something like what Exodus 21:10 hints at "If he marries another woman, he must not deprive the first one..."

What policies would you advise our government leaders use to both guarantee polygamy freedoms AND discourage abuse?

Thanks,

JAG

PS. I like Senegal's policy of registering as either "mono" or "poly" during the first marriage so it's all upfront. Not sure how or if the arrangement can be changed later.

Re: Recommended government policies protecting women & child

If governments try to define right and wrong in marriage they will soon end up in a mess, as different cultures believe differently so they'll always be treading on someone's views. The government is legitimately only an extension of the individual (read Bastiat's 'The Law'), they have no authority to dictate the views of the individuals they represent.

All the government needs to do is recognise contracts. If a couple believe only monogamy is ok, or that the first wife must consent to additional wives, they can make a marriage contract to that effect. If they don't think they need such 'protection', they don't need such a contract. It's pretty simple. That way all religious views are accommodated without breaching the rights of others.

Serious abuse is stuff that is already rightly illegal as violations of the individual (rape, assault) and needs no further special laws against it in the context of marriage.

FollowingHim said:
All the government needs to do is recognize contracts.
Governments already do, right? So no further state involvement is needed, other than strike all references of marriage from all laws, right?
FollowingHim said:
If they don't think they need such 'protection', they don't need such a contract.
I suppose so but in the government you're proposing there's no guidance or protection for married people. Thus I'd counsel everyone getting married to have an agreement, not terribly complicated, describing the basics of shared financials, home ownership, social security, health insurance, etc. I'd assume there'd be some standard "marriage templates" which could be customized just like landlords give pretty standard paperwork to renters (at least they do in the USA).

Am I understanding your POV correctly?

Yes. And such contract templates need not be provided by government, but by churches, community groups and lawyers. Each denomination could have their own template that recognised their own views on divorce, polygamy etc. This allows for diversity and religious freedom while still providing solid protection for women and children.

Anyone have a sample template agreement they like?

Vanilla prenup? That's the best we've got? Sheesh.

It's editable, and any couple considering a prenup should tailor it specifically for themselves. Preferably with independent legal counsel for each party. I'd expect anything more specific to come at a price being written with consideration to locale, assets, and individuals.

Back