• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Romans 13:1 relating to legal adultery

Has anyone ever been convicted that state adultery laws --though obviously not aligning with the concept of biblical adultery-- would make plural marriage a violation of Romans 13:1 in those particular states with such laws on the books? Technically in NYS to even have sexual intercourse with someone other than your legal spouse is considered the crime of adultery.

I feel like my parade just got potentially rained on. Even though there is no common law marriage in NYS so bigamy wouldn't be an issue....this would technically be the only civil law being broken by a man here taling multiple wives wothout civilly marrying more than one.

Dang. Might have to move to PA where there's no common law marriage and no adultery law....

That depends on your perspective on the law.

If you want to take the pedantic approach then ya, you're out of luck. But then you'll be paralyzed because it is impossible to breathe and not violate a law in this late state empire of ours.

But then there is the concept of de jure and de facto. Yes in the law poly would be adultery: de jure illegal. But in reality, those laws are not enforced by either the justice system or society; so de facto legal.

But thats not all. We are a common law system and so it is not simply the statutes that matter, but also the greater body of judicial rulings. And courts have been clear over and over that what happens in the bedroom is a matter of privacy. The same legal rulings that overturned prohibitions against homosexuality and bans on gay marriage also invalidate adultery laws.

And then there is the matter of jurist prudence. From a constitutionalist perspective: Did the state really have the authority to make those laws? Did the NYS constitution give them authority over those private matters? Probably not. From the libertarian perspective: well I'll let @andrew fill in the logic but its not a valid exercise of state power.

Oh but there is more... who would bring such a case against you and why? Usually adultery statutes come into play only in rare cases, if ever, and likely in divorce cases. And then, can a DA unilaterally bring charges or must your wife? See your lawyer about all that.

And then there is the wise as serpants approach. If you all share a bed, who exactly here is committing adultery?

Has anyone ever been convicted that state adultery laws --though obviously not aligning with the concept of biblical adultery-- would make plural marriage a violation of Romans 13:1 in those particular states with such laws on the books? Technically in NYS to even have sexual intercourse with someone other than your legal spouse is considered the crime of adultery.

I feel like my parade just got potentially rained on. Even though there is no common law marriage in NYS so bigamy wouldn't be an issue....this would technically be the only civil law being broken by a man here taling multiple wives wothout civilly marrying more than one.

Dang. Might have to move to PA where there's no common law marriage and no adultery law....
I think you may be reading this verse wrong brother.
Just do a thought experiment. Imagine you are now in a country which is hostile to the faith; bibles are illegal.
Do you volunteer your bible up to the powers that be so they may burn it?

I looked at the Greek here and the language is not conclusively that of gov't authorities. This is one way to interpret it, but it may also mean spiritual authorities/powers.
It may be that Paul has in mind the Jewish legal system; wherever Jews were they were/are bound to participate in the religious judges set over them. This system is known as the bēt dīn, house of judgement. I was going to list the Greek verse and all the meanings of the key words, not one of which means only a secular government.
It may also be that this very verse is actually meant for the congregation in Rome for the coming persecution as a special testimony.
There seems to be a certain parallel here to Keifah's advice in 1 Peter 2:13. It may be Paul is even hoping to stave off any extra persecution by the hands of the Romans by making the community in Rome a shining example to the tenacious and fickle Roman government.
Even as Yeshua demonstrated, "render unto Caesar what is Caesar's" not giving the nod to the polytheists ruling over Israel, but not giving them a reason to persecute us or maybe it's instructing us concerning civil disobedience. When the punishment comes submit and take it.

Maybe there is a parallel in David's refusal to touch Saul's life because he was "G-d's anointed"; while at the same time then righteous David certainly did not obey the government, King Saul. Had he obeyed he would have died.

In short no scripture stands alone right? We must consider the time and audience and culture to whom it was written. If the Colonists interpreted this verse in such a binding way as you are presenting it, the United States would still be part of Great Britain.
We must read the Pauline letters very carefully; yes they are in the canon but they are also other peoples' mail. they were very pertinent to precise situations some of which are quite difficult for us to exegete today. Some of Paul's letters are entirely ironic rebuke in their take and vastly misunderstood.

In the case of the verses following the one you listed, if we take it point blank at it's face value devoid of cultural context, language usage, and any immediacy for the recipients of the letter at that time, then we will look foolish when we read vs. 3:
"For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad."
The Holy Bible: English Standard Version. (2016). (Ro 13:3).

Most humans of ALL time have been subject to evil, and despicable rulers so clearly there must be more than a plain reading of this text to comprehend what Paul is teaching here. Think Stalin, Pol Pot, Hitler, Mao, Ho Chi Minh, Castro, etc.

Last edited:
Wow...thanks for your responses guys. It's crazy how I continue to learn experientially in my own studies (and with the help of others like you all) how dangerous it can really be to accept these standard "church approved" doctrines that are so common yet ultimately built on the flimsy foundation of nothing more than a couple poorly translated verses completely devoid of their context.

This is just yet another example where a single doctrine and a couple of verses has sent me down a rabbit hole that is far more complex than the theology of cultural churchianity would have you believe. Still learning, but you guys have given me some serious launching points to investigate. Thanks again as always!

how dangerous it can really be to accept these standard "church approved" doctrines

The example @IshChayil listed of burning bibles isn't out of left field. Many early priests, when threatened with torture or killing, gave up both their scriptures and the membership roles; resulting in their flock's being martyred. After the persecution let up many of these same priests were let back in the church to their old posts.

These were the sort of people who came up with these doctrines about obeying the government.

I agree that Romans 13:1 is not absolute. Acts 5:29 also applies. In general we should obey the law, but when it violates out morals, or when the law goes beyond its rightful sphere then we are justified in not obeying. Same with anti-polygamy laws. Mis-guided adultery laws as a back handed way to prevent polygamy would fall into the same category. Never forget the example of St. Valentine who married Christians in spite of the law!

Men can marry men & women can marry women throughout the US now. Use the loophole & have your wives marry each other. Who wants to argue THAT case?

Men can marry men & women can marry women throughout the US now. Use the loophole & have your wives marry each other. Who wants to argue THAT case?
We say we don't believe in same sex marriages, but then turn around and use it for our own benifit. That's the very definition of Hypocrisy. So who would want to argue that case? Anybody who has an axe to grind against men, patriarchy, and/or Christianity. There main focus will be the Hypocrisy, whether or not they win the case is irrelevant because of the damage to our side's image and the reinforcing of same sex marriage being ok.

Back