• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Rural internet options?

it has a built in switch. You could hook up whatever you want to it.
Yes, thanks. BUT - when I first heard about it, and saw the neighbors (early) setup - there were software 'enhancements' that attempted to prohibit it being connected to 'downstream' switches or links. IOW, it wasn't an 'open' system (at some point) but with some very definite engineered limits (so, for example, one couldn't build a WAN and allow neighbors to connect.)

But it meant that I couldn't use it at my remote building either.

Maybe there's been some change. That was my very technical question.

Yes, thanks. BUT - when I first heard about it, and saw the neighbors (early) setup - there were software 'enhancements' that attempted to prohibit it being connected to 'downstream' switches or links. IOW, it wasn't an 'open' system (at some point) but with some very definite engineered limits (so, for example, one couldn't build a WAN and allow neighbors to connect.)

But it meant that I couldn't use it at my remote building either.

Maybe there's been some change. That was my very technical question.
As far as I know there is no such restriction. I use docker containers all of the time and these have separate networks. Also, Starlink sells mesh network routers (designed to expand your wifi range over greater distances) so I don't think they're trying to stop being able to use your internet how you want to. If you share it with too many people, you'll only be harming your own connection since there's only so much bandwidth available.

For the time being, we have found an internet company to install cable, but it's quite slow, and the internet technicians constantly have to come out and replace wires because the county's dozer driver drives over the internet provider's cable whenever it grades the road we live on, multiple times per month, which results in a lot of outage time. We heard from the neighbor's that it's been an ongoing issue for over 3 years, and there has been no resolution in sight. We're seeing how it goes, then we'll attempt Homefi because of its free trial; if it doesn't work, we'll have to try Starlink instead. The power company is beginning to install Fiber near us; hopefully we can find something viable until then.

Last edited:
Starlink is expensive but it's also reliable even in most weather conditions (except big thunderstorms).
Is it limited or unlimited? The last satellite company we had it was "unlimited" up to 150G and then scaled back and that was $125 a month. It really sucked when I wanted to play the boys (military) a game, I had a 1/2 second delay, which is an eternity when you are trying to shoot the enemy LOL. So right now we use the hot spot on our cell phones, which is limited to 50G on mine and Paula has unlimited but her service is bad. I am assuming you have this service and you can share with me the pros and cons. My big con question, how does it do on extremely over cast days? Look forward to your reply.

My big con question, how does it do on extremely over cast days? Look forward to your reply.
Hughes (and the other geostationary satellite purveyors) have a pretty narrow beamwidth, which means that for you to truly lose signal requires a LOT of clouds, very deep. In practice, that means (as I have seen over a ten year period) the only thing that will really axe it is a BIG thunderhead right in the way of the local dish. And it usually doesn't last too long.

A big snowstorm, OTOH, will take out 4G cell coverage.

Is it limited or unlimited? The last satellite company we had it was "unlimited" up to 150G and then scaled back and that was $125 a month. It really sucked when I wanted to play the boys (military) a game, I had a 1/2 second delay, which is an eternity when you are trying to shoot the enemy LOL. So right now we use the hot spot on our cell phones, which is limited to 50G on mine and Paula has unlimited but her service is bad. I am assuming you have this service and you can share with me the pros and cons. My big con question, how does it do on extremely over cast days? Look forward to your reply.
Ok I found it... Starlink scroll down and you can watch the little one minute+ video. It looks very user friendly, self leveling, the service plans are fairly reasonable, up front cost $660.63, that is including tax and shipping and I am guessing maybe first months service or maybe not.

Ok I found it... Starlink scroll down and you can watch the little one minute+ video. It looks very user friendly, self leveling, the service plans are fairly reasonable, up front cost $660.63, that is including tax and shipping and I am guessing maybe first months service or maybe not.
Those prices are quite reasonable, the up-front price is not dissimilar to the prices we paid up-front for 4G equipment with directional antenna, and the monthly price is a bit higher than what we're paying for an unlimited 4G connection but not excessively, still in the same ballpark.

Back