• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Support Sabbath

Noah Joshua

Isaiah 58:13 ►
If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day;

What kind of activities do you allow for making the Sabbath more enjoyable? When I first read this I got the impression "definitely no riding, skating, fishing, weights, or watching xgames,etc." What about movies that are faith based? Any ideas besides reading, naps, video sermons, boredom eating?

I'm glad you asked this. I've been wanting to keep Sabbath, but I have to work nearly every weekend. I don't even know where to begin or if it's at all possible when the majority of my income depends on weekend work.

I have long suggested (because a friend gave me a helpful tip long ago) that one of the keys is to "set it apart" from every other day of the week. (Which is precisely what the Hebrew word, 'qadosh,' really means. Too many kids seem to hear the word "holy" and come to understand it must mean "boring".)

The rules for the weekly sabbath are not very onerous at all.
In fact, you can pretty much count all of them on your fingers. But it's also true that by the time of Yahushua, the 'rabbis' of the day had "added to" that list with over 1600 onerous burdens. And they didn't even have cars or light bulbs to prohibit yet!

I have also long suggested that the "head of house" is the arbiter, in accord with the Word, and his own understanding, of what constitutes "work" for those under his authority. Being paid to dig a ditch, or - in my case - design a circuit, may seem fairly obvious. As is being a good steward of the animals he has given to us to care for.

So, if one of them "falls in a ditch" - that, too, is obvious. Likewise, if a neighbor's car does, when the road down the hill becomes a mud trap.

When I was still a 'wage slave' - I did my best over time to arrange my schedule to avoid doing things I knew Scripture said not to.

As did the friend I mentioned, who by then was a fairly senior Air Traffic Controller who worked at the local GA reliever airport tower where I occasionally flew in. He could almost always arrange to have Sabbath (and feast days when possible) off.

But there was an occasional exception, due to illness or some emergency.

In those cases, he told me, I try to find "some small way to make it Special, and set that day apart." Break the routine - do something different than he otherwise would. It was about "remembering" and 'keeping' the Sabbath of YHVH - even under conditions he didn't ordinarily prefer.

PS> Among other things, a nap that I don't ordinarily have time for, is nice.

Last edited:
If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day;

What kind of activities do you allow for making the Sabbath more enjoyable? When I first read this I got the impression "definitely no riding, skating, fishing, weights, or watching xgames,etc." What about movies that are faith based? Any ideas besides reading, naps, video sermons, boredom eating?
Of what you listed, I'd personally only avoid fishing for two reasons: food gathering and it seems to me that the animals, at least any donkeys I own, are afforded Shabbat for rest as well.

Weights seems like too much work for me on Shabbat, thank you very much.

Don't know what xgames are.

What's wrong with skating and riding?

We have a Sabbath observation that starts on Friday night and it ends on Sunday night. It's our own thing within our household and there's zero anything to uphold it yet this is what we do.

Friday night is family night. We typically get together to watch movies, cuddle, chat, and etc. No computers, no working after dinner.

Saturday is some chores but never all chores. Fun time is built in here too. Sunday is worship in the morning and then quiet time in the afternoon. That can include reading, gardening (for fun), taking care of the animals (for fun), cooking or baking for fun, hiking, and etc.

Sunday night after dinner is catching up on homework for the kids and things like that.

Back