• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Saint Valentine

cnystrom

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
If anyone says that Christians should not marry more than one person because it is against the law, I always think of Saint Valentine who (as legend has it) was martyred for marrying Christians when it was against the law to do so, and the double standard of why it would be OK (in the minds of some) to marry a first spouse if it was against the law, but not a second.

If someone says that it is against the law I always ask them, "If it was against the law to marry your first spouse, would you go ahead and marry, or would you refrain with respect to the civil law?"

Yep cause the pope outlawed men getting married cause married men didn't have to go to war. He did it any way and was put to death for it.
cnystrom said:
If anyone says that Christians should not marry more than one person because it is against the law, I always think of Saint Valentine who (as legend has it) was martyred for marrying Christians when it was against the law to do so, and the double standard of why it would be OK (in the minds of some) to marry a first spouse if it was against the law, but not a second.

If someone says that it is against the law I always ask them, "If it was against the law to marry your first spouse, would you go ahead and marry, or would you refrain with respect to the civil law?"

Revgill87123 said:
Yep cause the pope outlawed men getting married cause married men didn't have to go to war. He did it any way and was put to death for it.

Ooh, ooh, you've peaked my interest yet again. Do you have any links or references that you could give us?

All I remember is Claudius put the order and the Pope carried it out.

Back