• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

seeking a better life

achndl95

Hi,
My name is Angela. I am in east TN. I recently came across "Sister Wives". The lifestyle is very appealing to me but I cannot get past what appears to be a basis for pleural family living. When I read my bible it shows a different view of heaven and our Christian life is supposed to be. Is there a biblical basis for pleural family? Or, is it an alternate way of libing. I also have concerns about how infertility/ adoption & mental health issues (bipolar) are handled.
If any of ya'll (my southern) are from/living in the Knoxville area I would love to meet you and chat.
Angela

Hi Angela and welcome :)

If you go to the top of the page where it says "resources" and go down to "common misconceptions" you should find plenty of reading there.

Ladies chat is tomorrow evening (Tuesday) and begins at 7:30pm. Hope to meet you there :)

Angela,

I live in middle TN.

Yes there is a Biblical basis for Poly/Plural Marriage, it's not just a Mormon principle.

Ask any questions you have, and we'll do our best to answer them and give you the resources to be able to think this through.

Good to "meet you."

CB

Glad you found us, and welcome. If you wonder about the biblical basis for polygamy, have a read of Hebrews 11, and note which people are upheld here as righteous. Think about how many wives each had. Most that we have information about had more than one, and here they are being held up as the greatest heroes of the faith in the New Testament. Something to ponder.

And certainly check out the common misconceptions page. Happy reading!

Welcome Angela!
Glad to have you on the board. This is a fantastic group of folks and a great place to ask questions. If you have a specific question concerning scripture or doctrine that you are not finding answers to, don't feel shy about posting it. For more personal questions, you may feel more comfortable in the ladies chat. It's great having you here. May God bless you on your journey of discovery.

-Will

I did a lot of research, which eventually led me here, and with everything I read it became more and more apparent that plural families are biblical. I don't live too far from you. Im in Kentucky.

Bipolar is a bummer. i wanted to add a question of my own - what happens in p m when a husband dies. i guess i'm wondering because i'm a widow. my Husband's church that he was ordained in (LDS - yeah i know this is not a Mormon site) and i am a widow, may my beloved rest in peace, i was wondering what happens in p m when the husband dies? (God forbid that should happen to anybody!) i can't help but think that if we had been in p m, at least someone else would be mourning with me and getting through it together. in the LDS, the official view is i am in a family - a family of one. Just wondering how you folks see it?

"a family of one"? That sounds so sad. As a Christian, I would say such a single person is more alone than family and more alone than plural. I agree that a plural home has a built in comfort for such things, and such an 'alone' person could join a plural believing home and find that same comfort.

When he dies, the marriage ends and she is free to re-marry or remain single as she sees fit.

There are a few verses which specifically address this issue. I posted them on another thread, but will copy them here.

Matthew 22:25-30 "25 Now there were seven brothers among us; the first married and died, and, having no children, left his wife to his brother. 26 The second also died childless, and the third, down to the seventh. 27 Last of all, the woman died also. 28 Now, in the resurrection, to which of the seven will she be wife? For they all had her. 29 But Jesus replied to them, You are wrong because you know neither the Scriptures nor God’s power. 30 For in the resurrected state neither do [men] marry nor are [women] given in marriage, but they are like the angels in heaven."

1 Timothy 5:14 "14 So I would have younger [widows] marry, bear children, guide the household, [and] not give opponents of the faith occasion for slander or reproach."

Romans 7:1-3 "1 Do you not know, brethren—for I am speaking to men who are acquainted with the Law—that legal claims have power over a person only for as long as he is alive? 2 For [instance] a married woman is bound by law to her husband as long as he lives; but if her husband dies, she is loosed and discharged from the law concerning her husband. 3 Accordingly, she will be held an adulteress if she unites herself to another man while her husband lives. But if her husband dies, the marriage law no longer is binding on her [she is free from that law]; and if she unites herself to another man, she is not an adulteress."

There is also a misunderstanding some have as to the nature of the plural arrangement. The perception is that the union is between one man and X number of women. Not so. Although all are one family together, each union is it's own. It's a very thin distinction, but an important one. The Monogamists have it partially right. A union is between a man and a woman; the two become one flesh. Where they falter is there was never a limit to the number of unions.

In short, you are free. If you did make a promise and you honestly believe now, or believed at the time, you should not have, simply confess that to God and move on. Even if you have no current desire to remarry, that promise, that vow, will rest on your heart until you let go of it.

eternitee said:
When he dies, the marriage ends and she is free to re-marry or remain single as she sees fit.
Agreed, and NetWatchR has elaborated this well. That's the "legal" status essentially.

However on a practical level, presuming we're talking about a plural family that is functioning well and the wives get on with each other, then she won't be alone. For a monogamous wife, the loss of a husband leaves her a solo mother having to run a home on her own. For a plural wife, theoretically she will initially be still in a home with another woman (or women) who are family, and as a team they can help each other cope with the loss of their husband. Over time they may go their separate ways and remarry, but I can see a lot of benefits for a plural wife particularly during the initial period of grief, if she gets on well with her sisterwife(s).
Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 said:
Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour. For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up. Again, if two lie together, then they have heat: but how can one be warm alone? And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken.
This passage uses a number of very different examples to show that a team of two is better then one person alone, then finishes with the comment that a team of three is "not quickly broken". I take this to mean that a team of three is not broken because even if one member is lost, there is still a team of two left, which is far better than being alone for all the reasons given in the preceding verses.

I see this as one of the major potential benefits of polygyny. On the death of a wife, her children are not left without a mother but she has a sisterwife they already know who can immediately and fairly seamlessly assume the role of stepmother - making the death of a wife a lot easier on both the children and the husband. A team of two adults is still there. And on the death of a husband there's still a team of two adults, sure they're both women, they aren't a husband and wife - but I can imagine it would still be a million times better than being left alone.

The plural family can in this way provide even more security for children in disasters than a monogamous family can.

The last few weeks have really been a fountain of revealing benefits to the sister-wives (actually, I really like how someone referred to them as "covenant sisters"). There also seems to be an influx of members who are either looking for truth, found it or wish to encourage others. I haven't been here long enough to know if these come in cycles or not, but I really get the feeling there is a move within God's people to go back to that. I truly believe we are on the edge of where the inroads of an Isaiah 4:1 environment are being made.

NetWatchR said:
I truly believe we are on the edge of where the inroads of an Isaiah 4:1 environment are being made.
Unfortunately the "Isaiah 4:1 environment" is described in Isaiah 3, and isn't actually something I'm keen on...

Samuel, I believe that ch4 is a new beginning after ch3 has been experienced. Notice the reason given for the seven women wanting a husband; "to take away our reproach."
No one in chapter 3 gives a rat's rear end about reproach, it is Pride City Inc. all the way.

4:1 begins the turn-around when the Lord is exalted instead of vanity. May we embrace that day! :D

Back