• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Seeking How to Pray For The Terminally Ill

Richard

Male
I have two friends who are terminally ill and was seeking guidance in how to pray for them while in their presence. I realized that I really wasn't sure how to pray for someone in these circumstances. I wasn't sure that using the words healing was appropriate given their circumstances, not that they can't be healed. But I felt that there must be a better choice of words in a prayer for these situations. I did pray for their strength, wisdom, understanding, and comfort in administering His will. So, any advice for the words to use in such a prayer while in the individuals presence would be greatly appreciated.

To be honest, I find such situations difficult so keep prayers short and mostly to the points you've covered. Something I have found people in those sorts of circumstances appreciating is reading a Psalm; e.g. Psalm 23, and leaving them with those words on their mind. Blessings

Forgive me if I am presumptuous here, you didn't give a ton of detail so I'm guessing a little. I hope this at least gives you some ideas.

Have a conversation with them. Ask them what prayers they need. Pray that, tell them you'll continue praying it on your own, and then do it.

Do you have faith healing will come if you pray for it? Are you in the habit of praying for healing and seeing it undeniably miraculously come to fruition? If not maybe don't pray for healing. But if they ask for healing then pray it and be forthright about your own doubts and pray for help in your unbelief too.

People don't expect you to be perfect; but they appreciate caring, earnest, love.

As for alternatives to healing. You can ask for comfort. Guidance. Spiritual healing / reconciliation. Wisdom & guidance for the doctors. Peace. Assurance. Not everyone who is dying wants to live. Many are just ready to go to the next life.

I don't like those situations either, but it's a reality Ive been called into on numerous occasions.

I can't add too much from what you've mentioned. I generally throw in heaps of "Your will, not ours" and try to give comfort to family members that healing is never impossible, but may not be in the Fathers will. I never presume to know what God wants, only stress acceptance of his perfect will.

It's the best time to ensure their relationship with the Messiah. "If God does not provide miraculous healing, are you prepared to meet him face to face?"

In all honesty, sometimes those moments get so stressful that I can't remember what I've prayed. Seriously.

Back