• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Sex is why polygyny is wrong

"Were it wrong for a man to desire an available woman, then it would also follow logically that marriage is wrong. For how can marriage take place if a man does not desire some particular available woman?"
Yes, that's the problem with the word lust, everyone thinks sin. I believe Jesus was saying not to covet- looking upon can lead to adultery-the 14th commandment, as anger can lead to murder- 13th commandment. Begining at Mt.5:27, "Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart."

"I believe Jesus was saying not to covet"

Exactly! That is what I have been trying to explain, although I now have an expanded understanding of the verses.

I discovered this when I was 15. My Baptist pastor had a Bible study once on this verse. He actually said that he had to pray daily that he wouldn't lust AFTER HIS OWN WIFE in order not to be guilty of adultery.

Thank God I had a brain , a Thompson Chain Reference Bible, and a Strong's Concordance.

The Thompson Chain (which I no longer have, but if someone wants to buy me one for my birthday, KJV version only, I would not turn it down~hint) linked up all the verses connected to this one. Those verses expanded on what was 'desire' (healthy), and 'coveting' (unhealthy).

Looking back, I guess God was working on me regarding covenantal union issues even then.

I have perfect peace regarding this issue. Sexual desire is programmed into us from Creation...'Go forth and multiply' the first great command. It is a NATURAL part of our makeup, just as when we our bodies need nutrition, we want to eat. But just as 'eating' can become 'gluttony', so too our uncontrolled sexual desires can condemn us. All of our desires must be subject to the Spirit of Christ.

And yet, error continues. I knew a classmate at Bible college that really liked this girl. I encouraged him to ask her out, but he refused. He said that the reason he couldn't ask her out is because he had sexual desire towards her. Yep, you heard me right. He explained that she was off limits because of that.

I don't know if the guy is still single or not, but we probably didn't need him muddying up the gene pool anyway.

To borrow from the famous Gordon Gecko speech from the movie Wall Street, but paraphrased for our purposes:

"The point is, ladies and gentleman, that sex -- for lack of a better word -- is good. Sex is right. Sex works."

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that sex -- for lack of a better word -- is good. Sex is right. Sex works
well, if our parents had not participated in it none of us would exist (but, ok, none of us wants that mind-picture :D )

Even my own oldest brother, several times in his hour-and-a-half lecture to me just hours before my lovely lady and I left for North Carolina last week, either implied or outright said that polygyny is all about sex. Like most monogamy-only zealots, he would not listen to Scripture that contradicts his twisted worldview, and sure was not listening to reason. I just let him talk, and cried over the lost fellowship of a brother (and the patriarch of our family now that Dad has gone home to be with the Lord) whom I love dearly. In most other things, he is quite reasonable. That makes his opposition seem even worse.

What do we have to do in order to put that "polygyny is all about sex" stereotype to rest? Or can we? Those of us who are part of this reformation must be absolutely exemplary in our conduct. Any little thing we might do that is really wrong (and even things that the monogamy-only doctrine falsely says is wrong) will give the enemies of Truth something to point to. Yes, I know that we are human and will err more often than not (at least, I do...), but let's seek God's wisdom and guidance in everything.

Marv

Yes, I know that we are human and will err more often than not (at least, I do...),
if you do i will be standing right alongside betsy with my shotgun :!:
all in good christian love of course :D

(i do comepletely agree with your post)

"implied or outright said that polygyny is all about sex"

When logic and reason are abandoned they have to argue from emotion and opinion...not a very good place to be if you want to represent the truth.

steve wrote:
if you do i will be standing right alongside betsy with my shotgun :!:
Do you have enough bacon? :lol: :lol: :lol:

(You had to be at the conference to get this joke...)

Back