• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Single Mothers & The Bible

Doc

Real Person
You don't read much about single mothers in the Bible, do you? Did you ever stop and and wonder W-H-Y?

The reason you do not see single mothers much in the Bible is because God had already established an order to care for those that found themselves without a husband because of war, famine, or even abandonment. For instance, if a man was killed in a war, it was the responsibility of the brother (or the next of kin to the husband), to take that wife into his own home and treat her as his own wife. In fact, if the responsible party did NOT perform such an action, he could be found condemned.

The Book of Ruth is a beautiful example of this as well, even though we do not read that she already had children. The principle of caring for the widow is very much seen there.

In the New Testament, we see this principle carried over as the first century church took on the responsibility of caring for the widows and orphans. (The fact that there were enough widows and orphans to care for tells me that the religious leaders of the day were probably NOT being obedient to the Torah in this area). Again, just because it is the New Testament, that does not mean that they suddenly abandoned the regulations of the Law. On the contrary, you see the first century church going out of their way to make sure that they did not disobey the Law, in order not to bring shame upon the Gospel.

Who knows? Maybe some of those widows and orphans did not remain that way....After all, we do know that plural marriage was acceptable in the first century church.

Today's widows and orphans are single moms. What is the church doing to meet their needs today? "Go and be blessed......"

I am sure there are others on the board more proficient in the Old Testament than this country boy preacher. Maybe they could add some insight into this?

Doc

Not many single mothers in Scripture............hmmm. I do not know all the reasons but one could be the no free money from the state. Single mothers were motivated to find a plural home.

I don't recall a lot of that in scripture either. The only mention I recall is where the churches were exhorted to take care of the widows and orphans.

SweetLissa

I totally believe that, I just had to be difficult. It is in my nature. When we were working on my name we had trouble deciding whether I should be sweetlissa or contrarylissa. Sweetlissa sounded better. LOL

SweetLissa

duelingbanjos said:
Today's widows and orphans are single moms. What is the church doing to meet their needs today?
Doc

Some of today's single mothers would be referred to as harlets. In my local area there are way too many girls (and I do mean girls <18yo) that have children and they go through multiple paternity testings to pin down the "sperm donor" -as they call the father in a situation such as this locally.

I have a coworker whose cousin's 15yo daughter is now expecting child #2.... Father of #1 is unknown. He's one of the HS football players- one of..... :roll:

The local church here needs to be less apostate and explain to the locals here that being a "christian" is not the default because you are not something else.

TCR,

Well, as a southern gentleman, I was trying to be polite.....but yes, some are harlots..... :|

but why?

because they have been taught that a father is not needed....the state can serve that role. A husband is unnecessary, because the state can serve that role as well.

and the men are taught that women are objects, and not the precious vessels God intended them to be treated as.

there was a time when men and women took responsibility not just for sexual relations, but also for the care of children. But today's society elevates the single mom, and rewards her for sin, and gives men a pass for theirs. And the greatest sin? not the sex, but the essential abandonment of the children, warehoused in pre-k day cares cause the mom has to work to pay the bills, or worse yet, stipend out on the government dole, repeating a pattern generation after generation after generation....

that was not God's plan!

Where are the men of honor? Where are the women of virtue?

That society and even the modern church would DARE to risk the wrath of God by calling plural marriage SIN, yet wink at the blatant fornication going on in their own midst?

As you can tell, I feel pretty strongly about this....... ;)

Doc

It is easy point our fingers at others and call them harlots. I am sorry but this world is bringing those harlots up without the knowledge of what they are doing to thier souls, let alone bodies and minds.

I know a young woman who was molested from an early age by her father. This went on for three years. Now, with this as a lesson, how could this girl know that sex outside of marriage was wrong? After the father went to prison, the child was taken out of counseling because she didn't like it. So at 9 she was damaged and no one tried to help her put it all back together.

At 14 she became sexually active. At 16 she had the first of 7 children. At 19 she married a man who abused her sexually, mentally, physically and spiritually. She lost 5 of the children to CPS and at the ripe old age of 25 had no clue what was right or wrong. The man she married taught her that Christianity was slavery for women and has since become a wiccan.

So, is she a harlot? Is she a widow? Is she an orphan?

Is she unforgiveable? Is she lost?

And people may think this is an extreme example, but this is really what the "world" is teaching. The bible commands us to go out into the world and make disciples. We must be willing to deal with what is out there in the world.

The bible tells us that when we are baptised we are "new creations" and all our sins are forgiven. So if one of those single mothers gets saved, who can call her a harlot?

SweetLissa

I agree with you Lissa, they 'know not what they do'. Essentially, the state, the church and modern culture are forcing them into 'harlotry'. That doesn't mean that there isn't forgiveness and redemption under the blood of Christ. My post wasn't to condemn the individuals so much as the system that perpetuates it. My hunger is for every sinner (including lying, thieving, gossiping, back-stabbing people like myself) to know the sweet communion of Jesus.

Blessings,

Doc

If she repents of her sin and is baptised then she is made white as snow and NO ONE has the right to call her an harlot. God has forgiven her and remembers it no more. Jesus died on the cross to forgive sins and not to judge people and send them to hell....yes we must accept it but when we do we are totally forgiven.

Kscouple

sweetlissa said:

The bible tells us that when we are baptised we are "new creations" and all our sins are forgiven. So if one of those single mothers gets saved, who can call her a harlot?
SweetLissa

Absolutely True.
I was referring to those who don't care for God's law because they don't have a relationship with Him / Or those who claim they have confessed and believe but think it is "stupid" that God expects them to not "test drive" potential husbands or that they have rights to have their "needs" met -despite the method.

I have always felt in cases such as you stated that the guilt of those specific sins would be upon her father since he failed in his duty as a proper father and then later upon her husband.
While she still will be held accountable for her sins, it sounds like many of the "obvious" ones would be placed on the heads of the men who failed to do be her "head covering".

I had abusive parents and I agonized over my difficulty "honoring" my parents. I was told that it is their fault that they have made it so that it is not possible for me to honor them. You cannot honor the unhonorable.

Hi,
I would guess that I took something as an assumed when I shouldn't have. My understanding of our lifestyle is that we would all be in a saved relationship with God. Since we are promoting Christian polygamy and we are all seeking to serve the Lord, that was my assumption. Sometimes my assumptions create problems. Sorry for that.

SweetLissa

duelingbanjos said:
You don't read much about single mothers in the Bible, do you? Did you ever stop and and wonder W-H-Y?

Dueling banjos, you don't read much about single fathers in the Scriptures, either. Why do you suppose that is?

...you don't read much about single fathers in the Scriptures, either. Why do you suppose that is?

Actually, you DO read about fathers who lost a wife (like Jacob, after Rachel's death, or Abraham after Sarah passed).

While I suspect you were kidding, there really is a simple answer to your question, BT:

...it's in the math.

A man who lost a wife in Scripture was often NOT made into a single father in the process!

Mark C said:
...you don't read much about single fathers in the Scriptures, either. Why do you suppose that is?

Actually, you DO read about fathers who lost a wife (like Jacob, after Rachel's death, or Abraham after Sarah passed).

While I suspect you were kidding, there really is a simple answer to your question, BT:

...it's in the math.

A man who lost a wife in Scripture was often NOT made into a single father in the process!

Not kidding. Two examples of "single" fathers isn't much. Every time we read of man dying in scripture, and there are alot of those times, can we assume he left behind a single mother? Good point about polygamy though. If that was your original point about why we don't read so much about single women, I missed it, and agree.

Abraham had a single mom of all people. Hagar was sent away because Sarah said she was to be sent away. God spoke to her personaly and told her not to cry and then blessed her in generations more numerous then the stars. :D . As far as single mothers or me perhaps being expected to go find a husband. If you consider the statistics you must also consider that most men (supposedly christian or not) aren't fit to be husbands. I don't need another problem I need a husband. Even if a man has what it takes to stick it through what if he can't provide for his family, should I marry a man that would become worse than an unbeliever on the day of marriage?
As far as harlots go, if your considering the pre-k daycares to the foster homes and apathetic parents on a postmodern binge letting there kids watch promiscuous tv that teaches teens that adults have lots of sexual partners. I almost wonder if a 15yr old with 2 kids is more of victim then the adult crime of being a slut.
It's a sad state of affairs and I think. I sure don't want to re-instate laws were woman get stoned for having children out of wedlock.
As far as more abandoned single mothers is concern aren't her friends and families suppose to take care of her so she doesn't become a burden to the church, which is assuming of coarse that the church would be providing if she didn't have any one else to.

By the way I love the Ruth story, beautiful example of Spirit over law - Her redeemer wasn't the first in line to be called so he had to fight for it because he wanted her ;)

Another on and off again single mother in the bible that was a harlot would be Hosea's wife. If your wife keeps leaving you to her former carrier as a prostitute and you still don't call "mercy" I'm serving her with divorce papers you make or modern day poor excuses for separation and divorce.

I personally live off of the same child tax breaks as lower income couples and work when they are at there dad's parts of 3 days. I am also starting one of those dreadful pre-k daycares in my home. :|

sweetlissa said:
The only mention I recall is where the churches were exhorted to take care of the widows and orphans.

Actually, as I remember in James 1, James isn't speaking to "The Churches" to take care of widows and orphans, not yet to the other ladies to do so our of sisterly compassion ...

The way it reads to me, odd duck that I am, is that he is telling the FELLAs specifically that doing so constitutes the first and greater part of pure religion.

More than that, he drives the point home with his soap box speech on meeting the point of need. "If they're hungry, don't offer to pray and send 'em on their way, idjit! Make tomato soup and toasted cheese sandwiches. With pickle. And the GOOD BBQ sauce for dipping!" (Cecil's paraphrase)

Since the point of need from men when specifying widows and orphans (as opposed to sick, hungry, or poor) is husbands and fathers, I've found that passage, personally, to be a compelling NT call to PM, if that is what it takes to resolve the situation.

1st of all, Welcome, Marry-Ella. Looks like you're a new member. Glad to have you here and contributing.

Speaking, for fun, to just two points of your impassioned speech ...

marry-ella said:
Abraham had a single mom of all people. Hagar was sent away because Sarah said she was to be sent away.

Yup. But only AFTER approximately 14 years of trying to get along in the same encampment. Further, the Book of Jasher, generally accepted to be valid and a parallel to Genesis, though it wasn't included in the official Canon of Scripture, says that Abraham didn't divorce her, but spent time in both encampments, just more with Sarah (Since Isaac was now an infant and needed his dad more?)

Even if a man has what it takes to stick it through what if he can't provide for his family, should I marry a man that would become worse than an unbeliever on the day of marriage?

Hmmm. Was Paul referring to men who had fallen on hard times and couldn't support adequately at the moment, or to those who refuse to do so?

When my current wife joined me, neither of us had any money. I was living in an venerable (read "ancient") travel trailer in my own driveway, while my house was rented to others, who weren't paying. No job. Ended up losing the house. Months later, God provided a job and moved us clear across the country. Since then, there has been a further period when we had to get food stamps and medical assistance, and yet another when I was making about $200,000/year.

But through it all, it has been share and share alike. That's what we figure the "for better or for worse" stuff means.

Though I readily agree you've no need of a husband who wants you to work so he won't have to. To us, THEY are the "worse than infidels" of Paul's pronouncement.

As far as more abandoned single mothers is concern aren't her friends and families suppose to take care of her so she doesn't become a burden to the church, which is assuming of coarse that the church would be providing if she didn't have any one else to.

Well, actually, I believe Paul told Timothy to tell them to MARRY! NOT to remain single -- moms or otherwise.

Btw, blessings on your Pre-K endeavor. May it prosper.

Back