• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Site that provides garb for free thinkers!!

A

Anonymous

Check out these T-shirts and Bumper stickers of my friends family business. They have everything on sale and although not directly related to polygamy it is a very interesting site.

http://www.signofdistress.com

Thanks for posting the link. what is your oppinion on headcovering?

Hi
Sorry i never answered your posting before...I think from what I have studied so far the covering of a woman's head is her hair. I admit that i am not done studying this topic and it is very interesting to me but so far that is my belief. Didn't we talk about this in another posting?? My head (brain) needs to stay warm ( i know that much!!) :?

I think we have talked outside of this forum. If you want to do a study on it is in 1cor 11. It talks about if a woman doesn not cover her hair when she prays she would be equal to those that shave their hair. What that means in the time that this was writen the whores would shave their hair and wear wigs that were blonde. So the basically what Paul is saying here if a woman doesnt cover her head she is equal to a woman who refuses to have a man as her head.

Some nice t-shirts there ...

I really like the one that says, "Pull the plug, before you're brain dead!"

Really nice!

Hi sixth heretic,

I agree with you about a woman needing a head covering but what do you make of the verse 1 Cor 11:15 that says a woman's hair is given her for a covering... I beileve that the bible is it's own dictionary for the most part and that 1 Cor 11;15 defines the word "covering" for a woman at least in the context of that chapter. What do you say? Oh my we are on worng topic again! Regardless, I want your thoughts.

I don't understand those facebook applications, they are too complicated and virtual realityish for me...I am stuck in the 80's! I wish this were a typewriter.

woooo, a typewriter?
guess I"m longing for future, I'd rather communicate through ESP (something sensory perception) OK, make it simple, I read your mind, you read mine. To me, that's pure spirit communication without having to use the body which messes things up. :lol:

I agree with you about a woman needing a head covering but what do you make of the verse 1 Cor 11:15 that says a woman's hair is given her for a covering... I beileve that the bible is it's own dictionary for the most part and that 1 Cor 11;15 defines the word "covering" for a woman at least in the context of that chapter. What do you say? Oh my we are on worng topic again! Regardless, I want your thoughts.

Whats a typewriter? Anyway. Lets look at the verses.

1Cor.11 Verses 3 to 13

[3] But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.
[4] Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head.
[5] But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.
[6] For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.

So in verse 4 a man can not cover his Head when Praying.
Verse 5 says when a woman prays or prophesies with out covering her head she dishonoures he man THEN THEN THEN it says if she doesn not cover her head it is as if she were shaved. Verse 5 if read in the lamsa which translates this verse better then the KJV did says this

5 And every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head; for she is equal to her whos head is shaven
6 For if a woman does not cover her head, let her also cut off her hair; but if it is a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her cover her head.

So why are these uncovered women equal to the women with the shaved heads? the eerdmans handbook to the bible says this.

"No decent woman would appear unveiled in public at this time. The veil garanteed safety and respect in the streets. There were differences in the greek and hebrew custom when it came to prayer. Greek women as well as men prayed bareheaded. Roman and jewish men and women prayed with there heads covered. The church needed a ruling. The ruleing Paul Gave rested on the realtive roles of men and women in the created order. He was also concerned not to flout current social convention and so bring the christians in to disrepute. Men, Because they are the head of creation, are under no authority but christs. They were therefore to pray bareheaded. Women were to pray veiled, the veil being a token both of their husbands authority and the current standards of decency."

Dishonours his head (4-5): i.e. "Disgraces christ". The veil was a token of submission to another person; He should submit only to christ. Dishonours her head i.e. "disgraces her husband". By disregarding the veil she disgaurds her husbands authority, as if she were a prostitute.
Have her hair cut off (6): the punishment for a prosititute at that time.

I hope this answer all of your questions Marichu.

Well,

I actually own a 1970's typewriter that my kids write letters on. I am having trouble adjusted to the 80's being over!! I am old. Anyway Sixth, yes the way you explain and the commentary expalins the custom of the time but still you have not dealt with the verse that I mentioned about the hair being the covering. How do you deal with this?? Anyone want to contribute to this discussion to help out that would be great by me.

The hair is a covering and so is the veil. even the men had hair for a covering that is why they were not to round the cdorners of their head nor round the corners of there beards. But corinthians chapter 11 is not talking about the hair being the covering it is talking about the veil. For if you will not cover your head (with a veil) then you should Shave your head (Cut off your hair) like a whore.

I dont see how this can be interpreted any other way, unless you are not fully reading the verses. However it does say that if a man be contentious we have no such customs neither do the churches of God. Since you are being contentious you dont have to do it.

Am I being contentious?? Oh my! I only wanted to get clarification because it seemed to me that you did not address the original question I had about that one verse near the end of Cor 11 that talks about the hair. Nevertheless, I disagree that if I am contentious that disqualifies me from having to obey something. I think that verse means the churches of God do not have hte custom of fighting amongst themselves (or should not anyway!). These computer bible studies make me crazy sometimes. Nothing like sitting down with someone and going through the word and covering all the basis instead of getting into verse by verse typing argument. Sorry, I won't be difficult anymore!! :oops:

Back