• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Smilies

FollowingHim

Administrator
Staff member
Real Person
Male
Various points about smilies, any suggestions appreciated:

We've been having ongoing issues with the smilies dialogue (the dialogue that appears when you click the smiley face when typing a message) not showing correctly in some browsers - in Chrome the smiley images are obscured by an error image, in Firefox they used to fail too but now seem ok, in Safari they work fine.

I just added three new emoticons, just because I was playing around with the settings, such as <><. Turns out these display perfectly fine in the dialogue.

The default smilies are .png images, the new ones are .gif, which is probably the reason they work. Does chrome not like .png files?

Should I fuss around fixing this, or are people not finding it a problem? Are there any other smilies I should add? Do you not like the ones I just added and think they should be removed?

This is the least important thing I could be thinking about - but it's fun to tweak stuff like this sometimes!

Samuel, the new images aren't showing up in desktop Safari for me. (Firefox and mobile Safari, yes.) Since I'm not using Chrome, I expect this is unrelated to that.

I miss the animated 'laugh' smiley. (I guess if you add it, future readers of this post will indeed see it. :lol: )

If it's no trouble, I'd like to see a 'neutral' added, like we used to have. Colon plus pipe. :|

In my view, the cross, fish, and Bible images don't stand in for emotions that are hard to convey in words (the central purpose of smileys), so I'm quite unlikely to use them. Fun example: While the underlying meaning of "Don't commit adultery" changes little with a Bible image added, contrast these two instead:
  • Don't commit adultery. :mad:
  • Don't commit adultery. ;)
:D

Last edited:
Haha! Very good illustration...
And good point about the purpose of emoticons, I can't actually see where I'd want to put a :bible: in text either, except to take the place of words like in this sentence and just confuse things.

I have long used the term "emoticon modifier" because I totally believe that an emoticon can bring some personality into a statement and change how it is perceived.:):):)

Back