• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

So i found this article...

Yiska

Real Person
Female
I was scrolling through my Facebook the other day and found this article about Spurgeon's wife. It really put somethings in prospective for me. https://www.spurgeon.org/resource-library/blog-entries/3-things-you-didn't-know-about-spurgeons-wife
I really struggle with feeling like I'm not getting the attention I need when The Husband is studying the Bible and I read this and was like "oooooohhhhhhh that's what is going on" I decided to post because if it helps me it could help someone else. I know it's not talking about PM but something's can still be applied to it.

The link seems to be off. It brought me to "10 ways to pray like Spurgean" or something like that.

Hmmm your right it is off....@windblown if you click the link then select the blog entries than scroll down you can find it its called "3 Things You Didn't Know About Spurgeons Wife" I wonder why it messed up like that...

Jessica I have to say that was just an incredibly inspiring and sobering read. The main message I took away from it was that she made a conscious (and in our present age very controversial) decision to never attempt to place herself and her very legitimate needs above her husband's calling...and that this decision was maintained despite severe physical and emotional suffering throughout her life. So much of our success and contentment as submissive helpmeets depends on our daily decisions that are made from a place deeper than our fickle emotions. No matter what we are feeling, if we keep choosing to do the right thing, every minute if need be, we are making progress. Eventually our emotions will fall into line again. :)

she made a conscious (and in our present age very controversial) decision to never attempt to place herself and her very legitimate needs above her husband's calling...and that this decision was maintained despite severe physical and emotional suffering throughout her life.
That is exactly what I got from it......

....@windblown if you click the link then select the blog entries than scroll down
Got it, thanks! That was a great reminder in the life of Mrs. Spurgeon. :) I wonder...if every wife were to take on the same mentality as she, would we not see more spiritual giants? A woman's power to make or break her man is HUGE!! (i.e. Delilah vs Proverbs 31 wife)

@Maegirl sorry for the short reply I was at work. I think that for that reason she should be an inspiration to us women. @windblown you took the words out of my mouth.....and made them sound better lol
Since reading the article every day I make sure that I stop and think 2 things 1 do I really need this attention or not and 2 is it going to interrupt what G-d is telling him he has to do....

The clincher is... How do we act when our husband's "calling" is playing video games or watching football or sleeping in? Can we set aside our own "needs" when his activities are less Charles Spurgeon and more Homer Simpson?

My husband is involved in a ministry called Warrior Heart Ministry and they do a camp like twice a year its geared to address the Homer Simpsons. Other than that all I know is to do is pray. My husband has a YouTube video he likes to show the Homer Simpsons its by the pastor Matt Chandler its called "Matt Chandler calls out men" btw he never gave YouTube a chance until he saw one by the revolting man

I was scrolling through my Facebook the other day and found this article about Spurgeon's wife. It really put somethings in prospective for me. https://www.spurgeon.org/resource-library/blog-entries/3-things-you-didn't-know-about-spurgeons-wife
I really struggle with feeling like I'm not getting the attention I need when The Husband is studying the Bible and I read this and was like "oooooohhhhhhh that's what is going on" I decided to post because if it helps me it could help someone else. I know it's not talking about PM but something's can still be applied to it.
Jessica, what was it about Spurgeons wife that helped you? Or was it that you identified with the circumstances? I am just curious.

Patricia some of it is things like this....... Susannah married a man entrusted with great burdens. As one of the most influential men in England, Charles carried the heavy weight of ministerial responsibility on his shoulders. His work required hours of his time, energy, and output every week. While it would have been easy for Susannah to become bitter towards the demands of Spurgeon’s ministry, she instead made the commitment not to ever become an obstacle to her husband's kingdom endeavors. A lot of it is circumstantial type stuff but also it was just that I don't know it just clicked

Sorry I was pressed for time and only gave a partial answer. She helped me to see how wrong jealousy is. I would get jealous of Kevin's relationship with G-d and I thought I was justified in it because of the "I'm his wife he should love me enough to pay attention to me when I want it" mentality. But reading about her made it clear that G-d is first because He is why we are here so I have to be patient and wait. His timing in all things it will be my turn soon lol. Also she was just a regular person G-d chose for a chosen man and I see @Kevin doing alot for His kingdom. I know I am bad with words so this might not make sense.

My husband is involved in a ministry called Warrior Heart Ministry and they do a camp like twice a year its geared to address the Homer Simpsons. Other than that all I know is to do is pray. My husband has a YouTube video he likes to show the Homer Simpsons its by the pastor Matt Chandler its called "Matt Chandler calls out men" btw he never gave YouTube a chance until he saw one by the revolting man
Jessica, Matt Chandler has an amazing story of his own dealing with brain cancer and how God has healed him and continues to use him. He's pretty transparent and very direct on any subject he's discussing. He's down to earth, comical at times, refreshingly honest, and doesn't back away from the hard stuff. I've seen his series of which "Matt Chandler calls out men" is a part. He also has a part on the woman--very good also.

BTW--I didn't know of your husband's ministry to men. How our nation needs Godly, called out men, to lead other men! I hope you'll share more on this when we get to spend time at the retreat. I'm sure it consumes huge amounts of time in study as well as doing all the admin side of that sort of ministry. You're doing more for Kevin and the ministry God's given him by being his biggest cheerleader on the sidelines than you can imagine. I can tell God's bringing you along in this. :)

I found finally found it and just finished reading. Very good. Thanks, Jessica, for sharing this timely bit of history.

Back