• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

So if I wanted to build a poly friendly house...

Paul not the apostle

Real Person
what would be some of the things I would need to incorporate into it? Do I need two master bathrooms, a hidden door between the two master bedrooms, multiple laundry rooms, a kitchen for each wife, etc.? Does anyone else think of these things?

For my family not much special is needed. More overall space is always desirable. The key I've heard about is that everyone needs a personal space in or out of the house. A lot of people say two kitchens, but that doesn't apply to my family as I do the vast majority of the cooking anyway.

How much room you will need is a difficult question to answer. I suppose that it would all depend on your families temperament. According to some here, the ideal would be a house for each wife, and you would trundle off to each as it was required.

But for me, the idea is to live as a family, and I personally like my family around me. What gives me joy is sitting in the living room in the late evening with my wives, my dogs and my hot drink.

I have a moderate sized home with five bedrooms, one of which is a master suite that the eldest wife uses. My second wife took two of the bedrooms that shared a common bath room, and made a suite for her. We share a living room, a kitchen, a dining room, craft room (in one of the bedrooms) and breakfast nook. I also hope that by next summer I will complete a screen-in summer house, with its own kitchen and sitting room.

The last bedroom right now is sort of my writers studio, and it also has a spare computer in it so that I share the room with the second wife until we can get her a new laptop. The house is wired for data, and we also have a wireless network that eldest wife uses for internet access. At some point, I will move a bed in the studio, and that will then be my room, but for the moment, I share my eldest wife’s bedroom.

Eldest wife had a career in graphic arts for a large metropolitan newspaper, and is a PhotoShop® maven. She is currently working with a couple of gospel bands in designing album covers for their CD’s. So her suite has a computer/graphic arts set-up in it, and she spends much of her day working on those kind of projects. For her, it is a ministry in that she doesn’t charge for her work. I am currently sharing that bedroom with her.

Second wife’s studio is more private, as she needs a considerable amount of quiet time for reading and reflection. It is also set up as a teachers workshop where she can grade papers and work on lesson plans. But for the moment, she is working as a substitute teacher until such time she gets hired full time. As soon as she starts working full time, we will replace her broken laptop, and she can work on her projects there using the wireless network.

Among the future projects we have is building a large enough carport for our four vehicles, the screened summer house I talked about previously, enlarging the front porch and building a long lap pool. Those projects are waiting until we sell our first home. We are renting it out right now, hoping for a change in the market next summer, so it may be awhile before those projects get started.

The wives are discussing bringing in a third wife, but for the moment, it is more in the wistful thinking department. If that does happen, I think that the current house will have to be enlarged, or we will have to go find a larger home. A home with four suites in it is not very common, so we may have to build.

I know that some of the others in here have completely different ideas, and it will be interesting to see how they envision an ideal home.

~ rusty

All of this is pure speculation on my part of course but it seems like everything needs to be big, except for that small room where you go to escape.

Sorry, I didn't realize this was a gentlemen only thread.
Our plan is to have two master bedrooms. We would have Hubby's toiletries stocked in each bathroom along with clothing in each one so he doesn't need to worry about what he left where. In our dream, hubby will have a library to put his precious books and we will have one kitchen (I have heard that some people need two kitchens, it just isn't necessary for us because it will be T's kitchen.) We want to have a big workroom where we can do our crafty stuff and an office for our computers.

Beyond that it is really up for grabs. Depends on if we build or buy. Depends on money. Depends on so much.

But we agreed that T and I would have carte blanche to decorate our own bedrooms any way we want.

Lissa

I enjoy reading everyone's post. What about children though? I know some of you are talking about letting your wives have space, but I know even a single couple can have many children. What is the run down on making the whole family "especially your children" more happy at your home. I do like the Dugger Family's home.

Kids don't get as much space in the first place, there is always the 'make room as needed plan' and attempts to expand whenever practical.

Back