• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

State Marriage License

CON: If you live together without a marriage license, you are just cohabiting, which is sinful.

Where we live if you have lived with your 'significant other' for a certain period of time you are considered married or 'commonlaw' as it's referred to here.

Where are scriptual referrences for anyones posts
I might suggest, these forums create a ‘cause and affect’ in these threads. The cause is created by the one creating the thread. The affect is conducted by those who participate in these threads. The affect, many times, is referred to as ‘iron sharpens iron’.

Iron sharpening iron is from having to research for biblical points of view. As you research something from a biblical perspective, your own personal resolve begins to get solidified while you gain a better anchoring in your own faith.

Yep, you’re biblical studies are just now getting out of the gate and it’s off to the races.

I know Christians that know nothing of the polygamous community who avoid getting marriage licenses as they are not interested in the state being involved. I am thinking there is a rise in this sort of reasoning with the state sanctioning gay marriage.

When I was in the Navy they paid you more if you were married. I knew a guy that secretly got legally married just to get the extra pay. They were planning a more public marriage later.

I have one. I would get one again only if there was a specific need for one, like for immigration reasons, or for significant pay and benefits.
Yeah, I brought my wife here on a fiance Visa, and we were required to get legally married within 90 days.

On a Very Serious Note. I don’t believe in Marriage Licenses. The Government has No Place in my Love Life.
But, if I was Active Duty Military, that License would give me more money and benefits.

Thought I would share in case it has not been shared. I take reason 4 with a grain of salt. http://mercyseat.net/mscc/2015/10/07/marriage-licenses/
Fascinating! I like reasons 1, 2, and 3! Of course #4 doesn't really help, if you have to have some other legal arrangement to declare yourself in a form of alternative partnership with your spouse, not that any of us are all that concerned about polygamy, to begin with. The pamphlet would more accurately state that you are involved in polyamory, which we would all object to. #5 is only a problem when you put your children in the public school system. Our oldest is now in public school, but he has had enough home school and private school, to hate the things of this world. I love the fact that this minister has 11 children!

Knowing him that is not going to happen. :) However, he is spot on regarding most topics.
Well at least he can't throw out the "Polygamy is against the LAW" argument, that most of our opponents like to throw out there, when the rest of their arguments have been refuted!

Well at least he can't throw out the "Polygamy is against the LAW" argument, that most of our opponents like to throw out there, when the rest of their arguments have been refuted!
I dont think he would, he believes that marriage is under the realm of " family government". However, he like many believers adhere to the "one man one woman" stance on marriage. As a pastor, of course, he would be expected to adhere to the standard of " husband of one wife".

I dont think he would, he believes that marriage is under the realm of " family government". However, he like many believers adhere to the "one man one woman" stance on marriage. As a pastor, of course, he would be expected to adhere to the standard of " husband of one wife".
Sure, but if we can show him the error of misusing Scripture to read into it (i.e. Eisegesis), the "One man, one woman" doctrine, he might be a great asset to have in our corner!

According to this article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banns_of_marriage The marriage license replaced this Banns of Marriage in the United States. This Banns, means "Proclamation", and was intended to prevent unlawful marriage, which included polygamy and marriage to close kin. Naturally, it could have been used to prevent interracial marriage as well, although the article never mentions this.

Back