• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

strange situation

mrsaustin

I have been in my new marriage for 6 months now. My daughter's birth father/ my first husband is returning to the area and has made comments that he may want to get back together. He left me due to his unfaithfulness. I waited a long time before i married into this family. What does the Bible say I should do? I'm very confused right now.

I don't know what scripture says; but if your husband left you and you are currently married and under a new headship, it seems to me that you would stay with your current husband. Please pray that God give you guidance and peace in making this decision. Usually, woman have a strong intuition when it comes to doing the right thing. Through pray and intuition, I'm sure you know in your heart which is best for you and your daughter.

Michelle

My understanding, albeit not 100%, would be this... Your husband left you and abandoned his role in your marriage (based on the above). If you were Christians when the split occurred, then biblically speaking you probably shouldn't have remarried. If one or both of you were unbelievers at the time, then there's really no worry about any issues there.

Since you are already remarried though, his headship over you is void, and you are to stay with the new headship.

That's just my take on it though, so take it with a grain of salt. Some of the more learned men on the board are better versed in the biblical rules of marriage :)

some husbands seem to think that there should be such a thing as a "free-range wife". one that they turn loose and let fend for her self, but is wearing his brand on her hindquarters to discourage rustling.
you have not been rustled, you and your daughter have been rescued from his neglect and selfishness and have been given the family that he refused to be.
i won't parse it here, but you now belong (biblically) to your new family. enjoy it. :)

steve
not qualifying as a "learned man", just one with an opinion ;)

Short answer is stay where you are at, I know this may be tough.

Deut. 24:1 ¶ If a man marries a woman who becomes displeasing to him because he finds something indecent about her, and he writes her a certificate of divorce, gives it to her and sends her from his house, (MAN DIVORCES WIFE)
Deut. 24:2 and if after she leaves his house she becomes the wife of another man, (SHE MARRIES ANOTHER)
Deut. 24:3 and her second husband dislikes her and writes her a certificate of divorce, gives it to her and sends her from his house, or if he dies, (SECOND HUSBAND DIVORCES HER)
Deut. 24:4 then her first husband, who divorced her, is not allowed to marry her again after she has been defiled. (SHE CAN'T REMARRY FIRST HUSBAND) That would be detestable in the eyes of the LORD. Do not bring sin upon the land the LORD your God is giving you as an inheritance.

Jer. 3:1A/B ¶ “If a man divorces his wife and she leaves him and marries another man, should he return to her again? Would not the land be completely defiled?"

This is a rhetorical question asked by HaShaem. The answer is obvious, NO NO NO!!!

Back