• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Taking the Gospel of Plural Marriage to the World

FounderChurch

Should this organization and others like it being taking the Gospel, the entire Gospel, including Plural Marriage, to the whole world, as missionaries, as the Bible instructs? Are we doing that effectively? It seems not, from all evidence. If it is a good thing, and a Biblical thing, then is not a grave sin to not be sharing it meaningfully with the whole world? I just don't see that being done by anyone in this movement to speak of.

I would hesitate to call polygany part of the Gospel. The Gospel is Jesus Christ and Him crucified then risen again.
Polygany is not mandatory for salvation. Polygany is allowed in Scripture but nowhere forced.
But all of the Gospel is mandatory for salvation.
The Gospel is perfect within the entirety of " Love the Lord your God with your whole body soul and spirit and love your neighbor as yourself. "

Also the Holy Spirit is to lead and guide them to all truth. Your job is to lead them to Christ so that that would be possible.

Aaron

FC, I see that you've been here a year longer than I, and that this is your first post. So, since it hasn't been said yet, welcome to the site!

If you haven't been to a BF retreat yet, I'd urge you to attend. On top of just genuinely good fellowship, it's the best way to see how much people here really do.

Hi FC, welcome to BF. I'm glad you took the time to post and we'd all love to get to know you better.

I see you've been a member since 2011. Have you believed in PM for that long? What have you been doing to teach it to the world?

I'm also interested to know if your name is related to Founder's Church of Religious Science, or if you just came up with it randomly.

Feel free to post more about yourself in the introduction section so we get more of an idea of who you are.

Again, welcome.

FounderChurch said:
Should this organization and others like it being taking the Gospel, the entire Gospel, including Plural Marriage, to the whole world, as missionaries, as the Bible instructs? Are we doing that effectively? It seems not, from all evidence. If it is a good thing, and a Biblical thing, then is not a grave sin to not be sharing it meaningfully with the whole world? I just don't see that being done by anyone in this movement to speak of.

One thing that many people overlook when discussing the idea of sharing the gospel is this verse of scripture...

The Apostle Matthew said:
Matthew 7:6 NIV
6 “Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces.

In other words we are not supposed to harass those who don't want to listen. The "dogs" in this verse are the false teachers such as the Legalistic Monogamists (the one who want to force everyone to monogamy). They will attack you for trying to preach the truth of Christ to them.

For the sake of completeness, I'll include the fact that the reference to "pigs" refers to people such as swingers and polyamorists who just don't care what the Bible says.

We aren't supposed to be wasting our breath preaching to either one of them. We are to set the example and let those who care follow it.

FounderChurch said:

Ditto what yoderfamily said. Lol....thats me being lazy. I came from a church that used to preach that poly was necessary to be saved, sortof. But i have pulled away from that. Plural marriage is something we can do, that is a blessing but not a requirement.

As far as preaching it to the masses. WELLLLLLLLLLLLLL. I will let you discover that approach and get back to me. There are some people out there with some very concrete opinions and backgrounds. I have went door to door before to share the gospel and it wasn't always a pleasant experience. I dont consider it a sin to not tell everyone i meet about plural marriage. If that were the case then all of us would be standing on soapboxes in sackcloth going hoarse. Personally myself, i discovered about plural marriage from a book. I definitely feel the Spirit led me to pick that book up from the bookshelf over 6 years ago. Otherwise i never would have known about this little universe. Like yoderfamily said...we should help lead others to Christ, and let the Spirit testify to them of the truths they should know.

As for this site and creators not doing enough for plural marriage....I strongly disagree with that. I really appreciate what others have done before us to enable us to have the abilities and freedoms we have now. If they hadn't created this site we wouldn't be here now discussing this would we? I appreciate the fact i feel i can go somewhere where other people with open minds can debate and talk about scripture and religion oriented things. Which to be honest...is in short supply these days. Its nice to go on a website and not have to worry about some perv hitting on me in chat or sending me x rated material. So i appreciate the free membership. Sometimes i worry im too old fashioned and dont fit in with the world any more. Then i remember im in the world, but should never strive to be of it. ;)

GloryGirl said:
Off topic, but what was the book Starlit?

Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer. I remember i had just been laid off from my job and was browsing the job listings. I felt really impressed to look thru the stacks of books. Increasingly over the few years leading up to that i had developed a very keen interest in scripture (my family was not religious). And so i see this fairly think book sitting there and the word "Heaven" was in bold print and i felt impressed to pick it up. I think i read it in a day or two. From there on the rest was history. I had some pretty crazy experiences ( i havent detailed all of them here but a few people know)...lol. Without reading that book i never would have heard about plural marriage, poly, etc.

Something i felt impressed to relate after i responded earlier ( i was washing dishes when i thought of this...thats when i do my best thinking)...once you have this revelation about the importance of plural marriage in your life it is a very heavy burden at times. After i had my "bad experience" i was very vocal about how bad plural marriage was. My heart was very heavy. It was bad enough losing the relationship with the husband and wife i had befriended, but i lost contact with the children. It almost did me in. I still get teary eyed when i think about the children. But i did recognize after a few years how heavy hearted and bitter i had become and made a turn around. Leaving my church was a big help too. So i dont take this topic lightly and strongly encourage any who search it to make sure they truely have a testimony of it before they proceed.

I have to agree with the yoderfamily and starlit on this one. We need to set the example and let the light of our example shine to the world rather than trying to proselytize to those who don't want to hear it.

Once upon a time I was offered a girlfriend by a certain religious group in the hopes that I would eventually convert. The whole thing creeped me out so much that I could not see appearing to do that by preaching polygamy at the same time as the atoning blood of Jesus. The good news is Christ's death, burial and resurrection. Everything else is a matter of instruction in the full counsel of the word of God.

-is all I have to say about that.

starlit said:
WELLLLLLLLLLLLLL. I will let you discover that approach and get back to me.

Haha! Well said, Starlit!

For me, I've found that when you're dealing with people who are stuck on their particular doctrinal slants, whatever they may be, the real trick is teaching them to be fair with the Scriptural text, rather than trying to slaughter one sacred cow at a time. If you can teach someone to get beyond their doctrines and prejudices to see what the text actually says, whatever that may be, and however uncomfortable it makes us, then one can move forward with learning a whole Gospel and a fair response to the Biblical text.

Until people learn to be reasonable with what the text actually says, trying to reason with them will often lead to a great deal of conflict.

Slumberfreeze said:
Once upon a time I was offered a girlfriend by a certain religious group...

Offered a girlfriend? By a religious group?

If that phraseology is an accurate description of what actually happened then I don't blame you for being freaked out.

The only way to reach the doctrine of polygyny is for their to be visible and successful families to demonstrate it. The foundation that has to be laid in the mean time is accurate Biblical interpretation and male headship. These are what's necessary for Biblical marriage to be accepted.

zephyr said:
The only way to reach the doctrine of polygyny is for their to be visible and successful families to demonstrate it. The foundation that has to be laid in the mean time is accurate Biblical interpretation and male headship. These are what's necessary for Biblical marriage to be accepted.

I agree

Although I think examples of successful Christian polygynous marriages will probably help, among many Christian groups, it will probably be seen in the same light as homosexuality inclusive churches or nudist churches as being deviant against 'true Christianity'.
In fact, such examples of great families may breed a certain amount of hostility towards the movement, potentially being viewed as the next assault on traditional Christian values.
Truly, I believe that helping Christians to be fair with the text will create the flexibility to cope with being confronted with such families and concepts.

jacobhaivri said:
Although I think examples of successful Christian polygynous marriages will probably help, among many Christian groups, it will probably be seen in the same light as homosexuality inclusive churches or nudist churches as being deviant against 'true Christianity'.
In fact, such examples of great families may breed a certain amount of hostility towards the movement, potentially being viewed as the next assault on traditional Christian values.
Truly, I believe that helping Christians to be fair with the text will create the flexibility to cope with being confronted with such families and concepts.

The Bible suggests a combination of both methods. We talk to those who will listen. (Matthew 28:19) We set the example for those who won't but we don't harass them. (Matthew 7:1-5 as well as 13:24-30 & 36-43)

I've already seen the problem of black and white thinking among the churches, either they accept everyone (including homosexuals) or they shut out those who don't follow human traditions rather than Christ's teaching. One is abandoning the way of God and the other is church-ianity, as opposed to Christianity.

The fact that they don't want to practice Romans 14:1, 4 & 14 makes them sinners. Before we harass them however we should ask ourselves how we are better? We are sinners just like they are. Realistically, we need to be far more concerned about removing the plank from our own eye than about removing the spinter from theirs. (Matthew 7:1-5)

starlit said:
FounderChurch said:

Ditto what yoderfamily said. Lol....thats me being lazy. I came from a church that used to preach that poly was necessary to be saved, sortof. But i have pulled away from that. Plural marriage is something we can do, that is a blessing but not a requirement.

As far as preaching it to the masses. WELLLLLLLLLLLLLL. I will let you discover that approach and get back to me. There are some people out there with some very concrete opinions and backgrounds. I have went door to door before to share the gospel and it wasn't always a pleasant experience. I dont consider it a sin to not tell everyone i meet about plural marriage. If that were the case then all of us would be standing on soapboxes in sackcloth going hoarse. Personally myself, i discovered about plural marriage from a book. I definitely feel the Spirit led me to pick that book up from the bookshelf over 6 years ago. Otherwise i never would have known about this little universe. Like yoderfamily said...we should help lead others to Christ, and let the Spirit testify to them of the truths they should know.

As for this site and creators not doing enough for plural marriage....I strongly disagree with that. I really appreciate what others have done before us to enable us to have the abilities and freedoms we have now. If they hadn't created this site we wouldn't be here now discussing this would we? I appreciate the fact i feel i can go somewhere where other people with open minds can debate and talk about scripture and religion oriented things. Which to be honest...is in short supply these days. Its nice to go on a website and not have to worry about some perv hitting on me in chat or sending me x rated material. So i appreciate the free membership. Sometimes i worry im too old fashioned and dont fit in with the world any more. Then i remember im in the world, but should never strive to be of it. ;)
very well put starlit

FounderChurch said:

It is not a sin to try to convince others that polygamy is biblical but it is not a Gospel or salvation/mandated issue. My intentions in discussing polygamy with people is to try show that it is not inherently harmful and that there should be nothing criminal when it's between consenting people. The benefit in doing this is so that polygamists can live just as freely as monogamist, that is, w/out having to hide their lifestyle, facing ridicule, being shunned by churches and family, etc. It will never be accepted 100%, but having discussions/defending will help more than just sitting around and doing nothing.

Matthew 10:14 If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, leave that home or town and shake the dust off your feet.

Wesley said:
The Apostle Matthew said:
Matthew 7:6 NIV
6 “Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces.

In other words we are not supposed to harass those who don't want to listen. The "dogs" in this verse are the false teachers such as the Legalistic Monogamists (the one who want to force everyone to monogamy). They will attack you for trying to preach the truth of Christ to them.

For the sake of completeness, I'll include the fact that the reference to "pigs" refers to people such as swingers and polyamorists who just don't care what the Bible says.

We aren't supposed to be wasting our breath preaching to either one of them. We are to set the example and let those who care follow it.

Being a polyamorist or swinger does not necessarily mean that you are not open to what the Bible says any more than any other nonbeliever who is living a sinful lifestyle. It would be wise to first find out what they think about the Bible, why they don't follow it, and go from there. All non-believers don't follow the Bible until a believer comes along and explains the details - some are open to listening and discussing it and some won't (some won't temporarily but change their mind later!!).

And just to pre-empt any claim that I'm taking your view to the extreme, well you did not say it's only "SOME" polyamorists and swingers who don't care or who aren't open to the Bible. Had you said that, then I would not disagree with you. Fair enough?!

PolyPride said:
And just to pre-empt any claim that I'm taking your view to the extreme, well you did not say it's only "SOME" polyamorists and swingers who don't care or who aren't open to the Bible. Had you said that, then I would not disagree with you. Fair enough?!

Really? I didn't?

Let's look at that...

Wesley said:
swingers and polyamorists who just don't care what the Bible says.

That looks like group + qualifier = smaller group to me. Here's the breakdown...

• One or more groups...
    • "swingers and polyamorists"
    Plus a qualifier...
    • "who just don't care what the Bible says."

Thus the overall statement seems, at least to me, to only apply to a subgroup of swingers and polyamorists who don't care what the Bible says.

Back