• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

The "Creation Ideal" fallacy. An extra paragraph I've added to page 2 of my handout notes.

frederick

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
Some attempt to establish the legitimacy of a man having only one wife by using the creation account in Genesis, Chapters 1 & 2. They suggest that since God created Adam and gave him only one wife, this sets the standard or God’s “creation ideal” for all subsequent marriages. But such logic is faulty, proceeding from the particular to the universal without consideration of God’s specific laws concerning marriage, and can be dangerous leading to cultic beliefs and practises. For example, using that same line of reasoning from Genesis 1 & 2, it could just as easily result in the condemnation of any who don’t follow a strict vegetarian diet since God told Adam; “See, I have given you every herb that yields seed which is on the face of all the earth, and every tree whose fruit yields seed; to you it shall be for food” (Gen. 1:29). Or it could be argued that all men are to be horticulturists because that is God’s “creation ideal” for work (cf. Gen. 2:15). Indeed, so-called Christian naturists use this very same erroneous logic to argue against wearing clothes since God created Adam and Eve; And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed (Gen. 2:25). Such faulty reasoning speaks for itself. God doesn’t require every man to be married monogamously, be a vegetarian, a horticulturist, or a nudist, having set these practises up as some sort of creation ideal. Yes, He established marriage but He doesn’t condemn celibacy, He doesn’t condemn polygyny, nor does He condemn monogamy. Each has its place and purpose in His kingdom.

Last edited:
Keying on your second to last sentence, it should be noted that Jesus DOES condemn our modern form of monogamy, as widely practiced in and out of the church: serial monogamy (or serial polygamy as some would characterize it). There is sadly little difference between how the church practices marriage and the world; and both are much different than what the Bible lays out (even assuming the Bible wasn't ok with polygamy).

But maybe you make this point elsewhere in the handout? Where is it available to read?

Or it could be argued that all men are to be horticulturists because that is God’s “creation ideal” for work (cf. Gen. 2:15).
I like this argument, because you can extend it to things like metal-working and music-making coming from Lamech's children. Whereas with the clothes argument, the argument could at least be made that things had to change as a result of sin (though you could also apply that argument just as easily to monogamy).

I like this argument, because you can extend it to things like metal-working and music-making coming from Lamech's children. Whereas with the clothes argument, the argument could at least be made that things had to change as a result of sin (though you could also apply that argument just as easily to monogamy).

Thank you. Yes, I totally agree things changed after sin entered. Although I didn't put it in my notes, another argument that can be used is that God intended for Adam and Eve's children to "marry" and have children, but He specifically changed that in giving the Law through Moses, making incest unlawful. The OMOW (one man one woman) people accept that incest is wrong/unlawful according to that change but reject what is lawful regarding plural marriage even though the specifics are written in the same portion of the law. But I fully understand when people have always been taught OMOW based on the "creation ideal" fallacy, it's a challenge to accept anything else.

He specifically changed that in giving the Law through Moses, making incest unlawful. The OMOW (one man one woman) people accept that incest is wrong/unlawful according to that change but reject what is lawful regarding plural marriage even though...

If I am not wrong, this has the makings of a very useful argument, which I think might develop from a starting point like this:

1) Everyone supporting monogamy as the creation ideal must agree that incest was not wrong for Adam and Eve's children, because the Creation of God depended on that.
2) Incest therefore only became wrong when God said it was wrong, (and the earliest we know that happened was when Moses wrote the law.)

1) Similarly, everyone insisting that monogamy was the creation ideal must be able to account for why God deliberately ignored the monogamy "ideal" and deliberately used polygamy (1) to establish the seed of Abraham, and then for good measure (2)enshrined polygamy in the law of Moses, AND then for even better measure, (3) drew lessons from polygamy in the apostolic teachings as well (after Christ is said to have condemned polygamy in his Creation commentary!)
2) Polygamy therefore could only become wrong when (and if) God said it was wrong.

God certainly did NOT revoke the laws on polygamy in Gospel times, for Christ said:
Mat 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Luk 16:17 And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail.

So I think that any argument for monogamy based on the Gospels is a bad argument, and the only possibility of there being a good argument to prove the revocation of polygamy must originate from the scriptures written in the apostolic times.

Last edited:
The thing is that just because you can see a pattern does not make it binding. It could just as easily be confirmation bias.

So what you need to do is dig deeper and discern what is the text trying to teach? For that the text should tell you. You should not have to guess.

From my reading the creation story is teaching patriarchy (Adam created first, Adam named animals, Eve created from Adam). This is confirmed in the NT when it states that sin entered the world via Adam (implying that he was responsible over Eve).

Keying on your second to last sentence, it should be noted that Jesus DOES condemn our modern form of monogamy,...

I would go further and state that even if you are monogamous for life, but not practicing patriarchy (or more specifically Ephesians 5) than you do not have a Biblical God honoring marraige and are not following "the pattern" found in Genesis.

I would go further and state that even if you are monogamous for life, but not practicing patriarchy (or more specifically Ephesians 5) than you do not have a Biblical God honoring marraige and are not following "the pattern" found in Genesis.
If only more men and women in churches believed this!

Back