• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

The Evils of Polygamy by Rose McDermott

Daniel DeLuca

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
I downloaded a copy of this book, because I found that public policy in Canada has been framed by the claims made in this book. My initial impression is that the Author is coming from a Feminist perspective, and that she embraces some form of wealth equality. Much of her criticism seems to be misplaced, and the evils she speaks of could be eradicated in these cultures that still practice polygyny, if they eliminated marriage to underage girls and the sale of daughters to men that desire them. Also, it struck me that China has been exporting men because of their one child policy and the resulting male female imbalance that has led to, and that if that were not occurring, there would be a greater imbalance of females to males, due to male youth mortality, in our ow society. The same could be said about Europe allowing so many young men to seek asylum over there. I hope to find a critique of this work, but it appears to be have been produced just last year, which doesn't give people much time to respond to the charges put forward. I anticipate that there will be some folks out there who gobble this stuff up, and I want to be prepared to address the arguments put forward by these anti-polys.

Another initial observation I have, is that much of the criticism of polygynous families, could be directed at broken homes in America as well, and when you consider that there are a lot of men who wrestle over leaving their wives and children, ostensibly in order to marry another woman, I strongly suspect that the author never took this factor into consideration. It seems she focuses on inequality in the male/female relationship, but glosses over the fact that the same inequality would be found in polyandry, if indeed having multiple marriage partners were indeed the root cause of this perceived injustice. The author herself notes that this has not been observed. Her work comes across as a False Cause Fallacy narrative, at least from what I have read so far.

Back