• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

The extreme polygamy of Solomon foreshadowing the consummation of all things in Christ

Bartato

Seasoned Member
Male
Many Old Testament persons foreshadow Christ, pointing us toward the coming Deliverer and King of Kings.

I think Solomon's extreme polygamy (1000 wives) does this. Even though he sinned in the process (Deut 17:17), I believe it was part of God's plan and served the purpose of pointing us towards David's Greater Son, and the fact that all the redeemed will come under His Headship.

Moses delivered the people from slavery. He led them through the wilderness. He mediated the covenant between God and His people. He was a prophet, a friend of God, and the meekest man on the face of the earth.

Still, he fell short, offended God by striking the Rock, and was not permitted entrance into the Promised Land. He died.

Joshua faithfully believed God, and led the people into the Promised Land, defeating the Canaanites, but was tricked by the Gibeonites, and was not able completely subdue all of Israel's foes. He died.

David was the righteous king. He had a heart that loved God above all, and led his people to victory over God's enemies. He pleased God, and God said that He would establish an eternal kingdom from the line of David.

David also failed God by stealing Uriah's wife and conspiring to kill Uriah. He died.

Solomon, the son of David led Israel in the season of her greatest success and prosperity. He was the richest and wisest king ever.

In his personal life he was incomparably great. He had 1000 wives (700 princesses, and 300 concubines). He must have fathered a multitude of sons and daughters. Apparently, he was able to lead, provide for, and protect this massive family. Solomon must have really been truly magnificent!

Solomon also failed. He married women from the Canaanite nations which God had forbidden Israel to marry. He loved his wives more than he loved his God, and even set up idolatrous shrines to foreign gods. His wives led his heart astray, and God stripped the Northern kingdom from Solomon's descendants.

Solomon also died.

Lets now compare and contrast Christ and Solomon

The peace and prosperity of Solomon lasted 40 years, but the reign of Jesus is forever.

Israel's borders reached their greatest extent during Solomon's reign. The Kingdom of Christ has no borders. He reigns over all. Everything is His.

Solomon married many foreign women. Christ redeems a multitude of saints, claiming people from every tongue, tribe, and nation.

Solomon was led astray by his idolatrous wives. Christ takes people who are idolaters, converts them, and causes them to worship God, and love Him above all.

Solomon was the wisest king, but Christ Himself is the Wisdom of God in the flesh.

Solomon failed God, led the people astray, and died.

Jesus Christ however perfectly pleased God His Father. He never failed. He did everything right. He loves His people, but loves His Father above all.

He also died, but died as the Innocent in the place of the guilty, those that He loves.

God the Father vindicated Him by raising Him from the dead, seating Him at His right hand, and putting everything and everyone under Christ's authority.

Solomon was extremely polygamous.

I don't know if this word exists, and I hope I'm not blaspheming to say it. 🤔

I think Christ is "omnigamous" in that He claims all the redeemed. Everything and everyone is His. Creation itself was made by Him, and for Him.

He will lead, protect, and provide for all of His people. They all bear fruit for Him. He is the great Vine, and we the redeemed are all His branches.

Glory be to God alone!

Well now, I've never encountered a consideration of Solomon from that perspective. Thank you for the insightful thoughts.
There are loads of parallels between Christ and David, but a great many with Solomon also. I do think the polygamy of Solomon is somehow meant to point to Christ.

There are loads of parallels between Christ and David, but a great many with Solomon also. I do think the polygamy of Solomon is somehow meant to point to Christ.
Yes. I'll keep that polygamous parallel in mind because it's not something I've seen anyone trying to refute yet. It will probably create a bit of a challenge.

I have always thought it significant that the story of shlomo begins in 1 Melekim 1.
You have Saul, David, and then the book of Kings with #3.
It is not altogether metaphorical (don't equate David with the accuser), but Mashiakh is also the 3rd ruler of creation. So much to feed on!

Many Old Testament persons foreshadow Christ, pointing us toward the coming Deliverer and King of Kings.

I think Solomon's extreme polygamy (1000 wives) does this. Even though he sinned in the process (Deut 17:17), I believe it was part of God's plan and served the purpose of pointing us towards David's Greater Son, and the fact that all the redeemed will come under His Headship.

Moses delivered the people from slavery. He led them through the wilderness. He mediated the covenant between God and His people. He was a prophet, a friend of God, and the meekest man on the face of the earth.

Still, he fell short, offended God by striking the Rock, and was not permitted entrance into the Promised Land. He died.

Joshua faithfully believed God, and led the people into the Promised Land, defeating the Canaanites, but was tricked by the Gibeonites, and was not able completely subdue all of Israel's foes. He died.

David was the righteous king. He had a heart that loved God above all, and led his people to victory over God's enemies. He pleased God, and God said that He would establish an eternal kingdom from the line of David.

David also failed God by stealing Uriah's wife and conspiring to kill Uriah. He died.

Solomon, the son of David led Israel in the season of her greatest success and prosperity. He was the richest and wisest king ever.

In his personal life he was incomparably great. He had 1000 wives (700 princesses, and 300 concubines). He must have fathered a multitude of sons and daughters. Apparently, he was able to lead, provide for, and protect this massive family. Solomon must have really been truly magnificent!

Solomon also failed. He married women from the Canaanite nations which God had forbidden Israel to marry. He loved his wives more than he loved his God, and even set up idolatrous shrines to foreign gods. His wives led his heart astray, and God stripped the Northern kingdom from Solomon's descendants.

Solomon also died.

Lets now compare and contrast Christ and Solomon

The peace and prosperity of Solomon lasted 40 years, but the reign of Jesus is forever.

Israel's borders reached their greatest extent during Solomon's reign. The Kingdom of Christ has no borders. He reigns over all. Everything is His.

Solomon married many foreign women. Christ redeems a multitude of saints, claiming people from every tongue, tribe, and nation.

Solomon was led astray by his idolatrous wives. Christ takes people who are idolaters, converts them, and causes them to worship God, and love Him above all.

Solomon was the wisest king, but Christ Himself is the Wisdom of God in the flesh.

Solomon failed God, led the people astray, and died.

Jesus Christ however perfectly pleased God His Father. He never failed. He did everything right. He loves His people, but loves His Father above all.

He also died, but died as the Innocent in the place of the guilty, those that He loves.

God the Father vindicated Him by raising Him from the dead, seating Him at His right hand, and putting everything and everyone under Christ's authority.

Solomon was extremely polygamous.

I don't know if this word exists, and I hope I'm not blaspheming to say it. 🤔

I think Christ is "omnigamous" in that He claims all the redeemed. Everything and everyone is His. Creation itself was made by Him, and for Him.

He will lead, protect, and provide for all of His people. They all bear fruit for Him. He is the great Vine, and we the redeemed are all His branches.

Glory be to God alone!
Love the title and the correlation you have presented.

I challenge people with song of songs 5:8-9 when they speak about it being a picture of christ and his church. Virtually every minister agrees on what it represents, so in light of that alone, monogamy only is dead in the water. Then couple that with Ephesians 5:30-32, the subject is quickly changed.

Thanks for sharing

I have long thought Shlomo an enigma that is a picture of both the Messiah and the antimessiah...

You point out many of the positives.. in the negative, he enslaved his own people, received 666 talents of gold per year as tribute, was beyond excessive... Prince of peace, but at what price... clear demonstration that a mere man cannot be the Messiah, even if the wisest man in all the earth...

Strange enigma worthy of study..

I have long thought Shlomo an enigma that is a picture of both the Messiah and the antimessiah...

You point out many of the positives.. in the negative, he enslaved his own people, received 666 talents of gold per year as tribute, was beyond excessive... Prince of peace, but at what price... clear demonstration that a mere man cannot be the Messiah, even if the wisest man in all the earth...

Strange enigma worthy of study..
Well said PeteR. The fact that his wives turned his heart away from God, rather than him turning their hearts to God indicates that he fell far short.

Back