• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

The feasts

Tlaloc

Alright, I've been debating a lot here lately, and I don't want to go over the line as per the rules and respect for the desire of our site admins. So, here is a thread which I am putting up for the purpose of being in the inform category.

^_^, BrYce (who I recognize from facebook, I'm Jair Poppelwell by the way) and Mark C at least (and probably more members) seem to all have a good understanding of the biblical feasts. If any of you have the time and desire to detail the meaning, timing, and ritual of them here I will certainly listen. Gradual, detailed posts are preferred as I'd like to understand them rather than just know about them.

Thanks

I believe the feasts all point toward Jesus Christ as savior

Marichu said:
I believe the feasts all point toward Jesus Christ as savior

I agree with you. In fact, I happened to have stumbled on a website that goes through each feast and shows where you can see Jesus in each feast. It's quite fascinating!

http://www.histruth.org/JandtheJH.html

WomanSeekingGod

Yes, the feasts are a shadow of what was, what is, and what is to come.
passover looks back to deliverance from Egypt, the unleavened bread causes us to remember we left Egypt in haste, not having time to let the bread rise. it is now here to remind us that we are delivered from the powers of this present darkness, and we must make haste to flee from what might bog us down in our flight from bondage of sin and the oppression of the enemy. indeed, the lamb it'self was a picture of Yahushua, the guiltless lamb we laid our own hands on and put to death ourselves. we look forward to total deliverance even from our current bodies, the current heaven and earth, for the reign of our Master Yahweh_shua for ever and ever.

Passover is in the first month on the biblical calendar, on the 14th day, at sundown of the 14th day, unleavened bread is eaten with the passover meal and for the next 7 days.
The first month is the first new moon after barley is ripe enough to harvest for the first fruits offering the first day of the week following passover. Yahushua is first fruits of those who slept

So, next year the Gregorian date of Passover is the 8th of April?

Thank you Woman of God for the link, I will follow it as I follow the rest of the discussion, its very good.

^_^, thanks for the insight as well.

This is (probably unsurprisingly) one of the most familiar to me. How do you do it in practise? I can make good bread without yeast. I haven't slaughtered a lamb before, and really don't know the cuts, plus it seems impractical and somewhat costly unless there are several in the area doing it. To that end I've hardly ever cooked lamb, but I could learn it easily enough.

I guess with a big, poly family it would be easy to eat the better portion of a lamb, they are a kind of small animal.

Either way, I'm getting ahead of myself. How much do you do in practise?

I have found http://www.karaite-korner.org/holiday_dates.shtml to be a pretty reliable site for the biblical feasts as Yahweh laid them out. They update it frequently as the year goes by.

As far as keeping Passover, we are told if a lamb is too much for our family, we are to share with our neighbors (assuming they are circumcised as Yahweh specified that no uncircumcised shall eat of it) and not a bit of it is to be left until morning, if some is, it is to be burned. Since I have no neighbors, I usually by a leg shank that has a bone in it, and fire roast it. No, it's not exactly the way we are instructed, but how can I, as once we are in the land, it is to be done at the temple. So I make do the best I know how. I poke lots of holes in in (reminding me that my true atoning lamb was pierced for me) and put salt and garlic in those holes. It gets covered with a glaze of bitter herbs and spices and then roasted (reminding me that life in bondage is bitter and unpredictable). I do eat it with my sandals on, and my walking stick at my seat. (Yes, I actually have a walking stick, I like hiking) My kids seem to enjoy it, as I do my best to tell the story, mixing in how it relates to Yahushua's sacrifice and what it means to our life. I do not force my family to eat unleavened bread for the 7 days as I believe everyone needs to make the choice whether they are going to follow Yahweh or no, but the instruction is given so the choice is at least known.

I'd really like to know how Joshua could declare successfully "As for me and my house, we will follow Yahweh." Sometimes I get discouraged because Egypt has so much allure to my family, and I just don't understand that.

^_^,

Thanks again for the insight. Sharing a lamb with other believers (I believe all my believer friends are circumsized, though I haven't actually asked most of them) actually gives me a really good idea. I think I know some of my extended family that would both know how to properly slaughter a lamb and be interested in practising such a deep tradition with reverence.

This year though I think I'll look into something more along the lines of what you do. A nice piece suitable for my family. Do you spread blood on the door? It is one of the more repugnant steps of passover, but it has so much significance. If we have a late winter I won't be wearing sandles in April, but usually spring comes by then. I understand how you feel about not making the rest of the family eat unleavened bread for the other seven days. When I start to properly honour the feast I probably will, but I cound'nt force it on anyone else either.

What Joshua said is something isn't it, it sounds so grand and simple but speaking for ones whole family is quite an incredible thing. It is my grandest ambition that my wives and children serve the lord wholeheartedly, but even that is a difficult thing that takes great attention and providence. As for my house as in whole family, well, there are a few quite wrenched people there that would have nothing to do with it (as well as some great people whom I owe so much to their example of Godliness)

I'll add just a bit or two, in the interest of gradualism... ;)

Yeshua fulfilled the Spring feasts perfectly on His first coming (as "Meshiach ben Yosef, or Messiah, son of Joseph - the 'Suffering Servant'). Literally everything that He did, down to small details and with perfect timing, fulfilled what was Written concerning Pesach, or Passover. He was the Perfect Lamb (even the things said about Him, from "I find no fault in Him" to "It is finished" were ALL things that were traditionally said as the lamb was inspected, and as the final sacrifice was completed by the High Priest in the temple.) Even the Roman Centurion who saw the temple veil rent at the same time as he watched the Savior die "got it". Yeshua was "first fruits" of the dead, for us. He died on Wednesday afternoon, was in the tomb before sunset (which was the "dawning of the day" we call Thursday) and was risen at the end of the Sabbath, exactly 3 days and 3 nights later, as He had promised.

Everything about the traditional seder dinner speaks of Him. (Take a look at a Messianic haggadah service sometime, or watch The Messiah with Nick Mancuso for a good introduction.) The matzah ("afikommen") is a great example - it is pierced and striped, broken, wrapped in a cloth, and hidden.

There's lots more, of course - but the wonder of DOING the service each year is that we get to study and SEE IT for ourselves.

The Fall Feasts are just as interesting (starting with Yom Teruah, the Day of Trumpets, where the only unique command is to sound a "shofar". Makes you wonder why He would want us to celebrate the ONLY feast which starts on a New Moon, and which is traditionally referred to as the feast of which "no man knows the hour of the day" for that reason, would involve something that starts with a trumpet. :)

(The Fall Feasts, I contend, are next - when He returns as Meshiach ben David, the King.)

We have ten days (the "days of Awe") to repent, clean up our act, and get ready for what follows; Yom Kippur, or the "Day of Atonement". Shortly thereafter (and just recently completed) are the eight days of Sukkot, or Tabernacles. This one has at least a double meaning - it commemorates the wandering in the wilderness (that which was, and that which is to come), and ends in the biggest feast or celebration on His calendar.

It is usually likened to a wedding feast. Wonder what that could symbolize? ;)

Blessings,

Mark

Ah, yes, Tlaloc, I forgot that detail of the doorposts when I was trying to explain. Funny that's the detail I left out, because that's the one my wife finds most offensive. Yet had that detail been left out in Egypt, the oldest son would have perished.

Here's another thought that sort of goes along with that. It seems the firstborn son was the priest of the family before the Levites were assigned that detail. So basically Yahweh killed any future priest who refused his sacrifice on that first passover day.
Num 3:12 “Now look, I Myself have taken the Lĕwites from among the children of Yisra’ĕl instead of every first-born who opens the womb among the children of Yisra’ĕl. And the Lĕwites shall be Mine,

Thank you Mark and ^_^,

I think gradualism is right, I am and want to take the time to consider and understand each feast so I am prepared to do them properly when the time comes. Obviously there is a lot of information and none of it is trivial.

Passover\Pesach is naturally what I know most about but this is still greatly helpful. I did not know saying 'it is finished' was a traditional thing to do. That's quite deep. That post was a wealth of knowledge though I don't have much to comment or question about it.

Spreading blood on a door is quite offensive, I think it should be. I remember when I first got the full depth of holy irony in the term washed in the blood of the lamb, it was when I was doing cuts of meat and making ground beef for sale at a grocers. Blood clings too and permeates whatever it touches so much that you can find traces of it years later. The idea of washing it in should make one wretch. ¿What have we done that the perfect lamb must be slain? Should be a question that kills any of our pride without fail. Passover, and the cross, are testaments to our continual failure to always do right. I suppose the unleavened bread is a testament against our pride as well. The Lamb certainly linked leavening and pride in His teaching.

So basically Yahweh killed any future priest who refused his sacrifice on that first passover day.

Thats quite a statement. I can see the Logic of it, its quite profound. Whoever refused to do that offensive thing was lost from the priesthood. It seems like a lot more could be said about that, but nothing comes to mind just now. Does anyone else have any thoughts on it?

Thank you everyone. Please feel free to continue telling be about Pesach\Passover or move on to the next as you see fit.

A bit more detail on "It is finished" as I understand it, Tlaloc.

There were literally hundreds of animals sacrificed in the temple on that day. There was one lamb, in particular, however, that was subject to scrutiny of the High Priest, which was the final sacrifice on that day. (This was the same one which was inspected and confirmed with wording like, "I find no fault in him" also.) When that lamb was sacrificed, the sacrifices were complete - "it is finished".

What I have come to understand is the perfection of God's timing. At literally that instant, in view of the temple, our own High Priest and Perfect Lamb spoke the same words, and the Sacrifice was complete.

Yes Mark, that fills it out nicely. I had wondered when such a thing would be said with so many lambs slain for each family that day. Thank you.

Back