• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

The importance of roosters

Bartato

Seasoned Member
Male
A couple weeks ago, a hawk got one of our hens. I don't think it would have happened if we had a rooster. The hen was too heavy to carry off, but was killed nonetheless.

We keep a small flock of laying hens in our backyard (was 8, now 7). They live in the portable hen pen pictured below.

1677602645529.png

I normally keep the hens on the lawn, and move the pen daily. During the winter, I move them to the vegetable garden, fence off the area, and open the external "hen pen" door, granting them more freedom.

They help clean up and fertilizer the garden over the winter, and really seem to enjoy the increased freedom.

We live in town, and while hens are allowed (up to 3 😉), roosters are not. I wouldn't keep a rooster in town anyway, since I don't want the neighbors to hate me.

I have kept roosters before, when we rented a larger rural property, so I know what they can (and can't) do. Roosters provide a degree of security for the hens.

Roosters have their limitations. They aren't great at night (chickens being groggy at night). They are also too small and weak to provide sufficient protection against larger predators like coyotes or bigger dogs.

I think a rooster would have been sufficient to keep the hawks away.

Roosters are both cool and annoying. I respect their courage. A rooster won't hesitate when it comes to protecting his hens. Even if he loses, he will fight to protect his own.

Roosters aren't a substitute for a farmer with a shotgun (or better yet NV and a rifle), but they do have a role to play.

I think husbands and fathers are kinda like roosters. God has given us the task of leading and protecting our families. We should do the best we can, even if we lose.

Our ultimate security comes from our Father in Heaven, but we are still the roosters of our flocks.

We have 3 roosters 1 for every 10 hens. Our chickens are 100% free range and so far we have not had any problems.

Here is a video I found on YT on a rooster taking care of business.

We have 3 roosters 1 for every 10 hens. Our chickens are 100% free range and so far we have not had any problems.

Here is a video I found on YT on a rooster taking care of business.

Thanks for the video. It was interesting to see. I read an account once where a rooster fought off a golden eagle. I think the rooster may have gotten a little lucky in that particular encounter.

10 to 1 seems like a pretty good ratio. In the past, I had 2 roosters for around 20 hens.

I'm sure your roosters are also "taking care of business", breeding the hens.

Our rooster, CluckNorris, fought off some wild beast the other week (we think a stray cat) while protecting all of his wives. He was a little scratched up and dazed, but he made it back home to a house full of his happy ladies.

I had to put a similar cover over my bunnies outside pen. Apparently I raised a feminist bunny (big surprise) because when she hears any type of bird she runs over to my male and mounts/covers him. She also charged the neighbor's puppy when he got too close to their outdoor pen and she charges my dog when he gets nosey. Her husband is smaller than she is, he's really sweet, she's protecting her man lol if you want to borrow a guard bunny let me know ❤️

10 to 1 seems like a pretty good ratio.
The research that I have done, the recommendation is right around 9 hens per rooster, if I am correct that is at a minimum. That way it keeps the roosters from fighting each other because they are to busy taking care of their ladies.
Our rooster, CluckNorris,
Prepare to die.
eCZwaWQ9QXBp

Back