• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

The Inverse - Does Monogamy Remove Choice From A Woman?

Is forced societal monogamy actually a shackle in disguise for the woman? If a woman's first choice, best option, or even only option, is a man who is already in a relationship. Does monogamy deny her the option of exercising that choice, by forcing her to chose another or go without? If she finds no other suitable men or simply desires one who is already in a relationship, is it her RIGHT to decide who she wants to be joined to? Does a woman have a RIGHT to seek marriage with any man she pleases while she is still unjoined?

If so does monogamy actually deny her that RIGHT by not allowing her that option through social or legal consequences? Does the already joined woman have the RIGHT to deny the unjoined woman the man she is joined to? And does the unjoined woman violate the joined woman's RIGHT by requiring her to be displaced, in order to join herself to that man? If the RIGHT to chose does exist, does monogamy not violate this RIGHT by pitting them at odds with one another? In these scenarios who's justified, is it first come first serve?

Mind you this is only about the option of a woman to chose who she wants to seek marriage with, the power to grant that marriage lies with the man. But does she have the RIGHT to proposition that man regardless of his relationship status? Is freedom of choice not the whole point of women's liberation? Is promotion and adherence to monogamy not a doublestandard by those who say the woman is free to chose?

Harder to disagree with your words per se. Practically everything you have written is correct.

However, your frame isn't good. Freedom of choice enables you to make good argument. But is has one flaw. Where is limit to this freedom of choice? Why it shouldn't be expanded to include free man joining to taken woman? Or even worse, why not to consider children as marriageable people?

Your framing is wrong also in another way. You include only feminine perspective. Only way to justify something is because in benefits women. This is totaly crazy. It's mark of how much western society has become feminized that it can't even bother with masculine perspective. What kind of civilization would discard existence of 50% of it's members. Yet, civilization requires that cooperation pay off for most people in most situations. Othewise, why bother?

I prefer making arguments from structure of reality. Such arguments are far harder to defeat and twist in another dimension. Here is my example:

@RemnantResilience, I think you did good job. There are some merits to your approach. It could work people who accept today's western presuppositions.

And it is good to see someone trying non-biblical arguments. As community we are in sorely lacking in good non-biblical arguments. But be aware, dishonest people will try to abuse your arguments for evil purposes. When you creating arguments try to make it more "abuse-proof".

Is forced societal monogamy actually a shackle in disguise for the woman? If a woman's first choice, best option, or even only option, is a man who is already in a relationship. Does monogamy deny her the option of exercising that choice, by forcing her to chose another or go without? If she finds no other suitable men or simply desires one who is already in a relationship, is it her RIGHT to decide who she wants to be joined to? Does a woman have a RIGHT to seek marriage with any man she pleases while she is still unjoined?

If so does monogamy actually deny her that RIGHT by not allowing her that option through social or legal consequences? Does the already joined woman have the RIGHT to deny the unjoined woman the man she is joined to? And does the unjoined woman violate the joined woman's RIGHT by requiring her to be displaced, in order to join herself to that man? If the RIGHT to chose does exist, does monogamy not violate this RIGHT by pitting them at odds with one another? In these scenarios who's justified, is it first come first serve?

Mind you this is only about the option of a woman to chose who she wants to seek marriage with, the power to grant that marriage lies with the man. But does she have the RIGHT to proposition that man regardless of his relationship status? Is freedom of choice not the whole point of women's liberation? Is promotion and adherence to monogamy not a doublestandard by those who say the woman is free to chose?
I think that you make a reasonable argument for the rights of women.
Do they deserve unlimited rights? No, that’s not reasonable and that is not what you are addressing.

I agree with @MemeFan as I read I thought, 'good argument, but easily turned to support unbiblical positions such as polyandry and polyamory.'

Thecreal problem is Christianity and Judaism's abandonment of Biblical standards for marriage. Without Torah underpinning that clearly denfines adultery correctly, the rest is subject to twisting.

It actually meant to articulate it from the secular perspective, and the double standards of feminism. I purposefully ignored any other viewpoints for that reason. @Mark C Good catch. I think that is correct, but we know it doesn't actually remove the option because in the secular world woman pursue the man anyways, hoping to strip him from the other woman. Thats why I expressed it as a right that can be violated. Here I am preaching to the choir however monogamy itself is more widely excepted among the church and secular. If you think you can improve the argument please do.

Back