• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

The Laws of the Land

Aarowhead

Shalom and Blessings to all in the Lord,

for me the biggest hurdle for accepting biblically based plural marriage was acceptable was coming to grips with the laws of the land verses the laws of God. For example, many conservative scholarly Christians actually admit that there is nothing wrong with a man having more than one wife. However, they default to the concept that believers are obligated to follow the states mandates regarding marriage.

Here is one authors position on the topic. I submit this because I think its interesting that uses the First Century believers as an example:

"The world of outer darkness is a law to itself, and orders it to suit its own notions of right. The Law of Moses allowed a plurality of wives, and divorce, and punished the 'social evil' with death. Jesus, who was 'made under the law,' did not interfere with the law, but forbade divorce upon any other ground than the wife's unfaithfulness. The apostle, whose authority he declared equal to his own in teaching the things of the Deity, allowed divorce on another ground, and for the sake of peace to the Christian party. But to carry out this gospel liberty would place a man or woman as a criminal at the bar of Gentile justice and law. Therefore, Peter has said: 'submit yourself to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake' provided, of course, that in so doing, his precepts were not transgressed; this apostolic tradition applies also to their ordinances of marriage. They [the world] forbid two contemporary wives, allow divorce on unscriptural grounds, and tolerate the 'social evil' to any extent without punishment. Hence a saint, regulated by the word, would have only one wife at a time; he would seek divorce only on scriptural grounds, and avoid the 'social evil' as the plague." J Thomas 1866

The biblical passage that the author refers to is found in Romans 13: 1-7

"1 Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. 4For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience. 6This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God's servants, who give their full time to governing. 7Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor."

HOW CAN BELIEVERS FOLLOW THROUGH AND PARTICIPATE IN POLYGYNY WHEN IT IS ILLEGAL?

Aarowhead,

Well, first of all you have to be very careful about what the law actually is...

In most states the law is that individuals may obtain only one marriage license at a time. At the same time there are almost no laws against cohabitation, and since Clinton what the world calls adultery is all but legalized.

One does not require legal recognition to be married in God's eyes.

Since the word translated wife, is really the same word for woman/women, I suspect that many "monogamous" men will face their creator to answer for the women that they have abandoned.

Second one must also consider that God's laws trump man's laws. No, there is no general command to marry in the Bible. There are however several specific commands to marry. Should a Christian man find himself under such command, he has to then decide whom he will serve, man or God.

Just my quick thoughts. This could be a fun thread.

God Bless,

Robert

Aarowhead said:
HOW CAN BELIEVERS FOLLOW THROUGH AND PARTICIPATE IN POLYGYNY WHEN IT IS ILLEGAL?
in addition to what neo said; ABOUT THE SAME WAY I WILL HOLD ONTO MY BIBLES WHEN THE GOVERNMENT OUTLAWS THEM

What are "the laws of the land"?

In my country it is legal to: blaspheme Christ in the most sordid ways, evangelize for Mohammed, live in a lesbian or homosexual relationship, live together outside marriage, have children outside marriage, provide birth control to children, steal billions of dollars from working people and give them to chosen government beneficiaries, commit adultery, abandon your family, murder unborn children (actually the government pays for you to do this for anyone even as young as 13), invade another country on a trumped pretext and if you kill a lot of their soldiers you get a medal and acclamation, the list goes on...

In my country it is illegal to: say bad things about Mohammed, evangelize for Christ in certain contexts, have more than one wife, hold firearms for self defense, own a slingshot, flak jacket or bb gun, ride a bicycle without a helmet, own a dog without a license, fish without a license, refuse to vote, refuse to complete a census, refuse to stop at government checkpoints, the list goes on...

Who makes the laws of the land? The government.

Who are the government? A group of people who over time have made themself strong enough to have control over their population.

There is always a gun in the room for every government law.

If you take the "be subject to the authorities" rule literally, then if you were born in Afghanistan you would never convert to Christianity and inform on anyone who did and possibly participate in their execution.

So as you may have guessed by now, a conflict with the laws of the land regarding bibilical marriage is not a problem on a theoretical level for me. The practicalities are where it gets tricky...

ylop the fan of 1 Sam 8

Romans 13:1-7 states, “Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience. This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God's servants, who give their full time to governing. Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.”

This passage makes it abundantly clear that we are to obey the government God places over us. God created government to establish order, punish evil, and promote justice (Genesis 9:6; 1 Corinthians 14:33; Romans 12:8). We are to obey the government in everything—paying taxes, obeying rules and laws, and showing respect. If we do not, we are ultimately showing disrespect towards God, for He is the One who placed that government over us. When the apostle Paul wrote to the Romans, he was under the government of Rome during the reign of Nero, perhaps the most evil of all the Roman emperors. Paul still recognized the Roman government’s rule over him. How can we do any less?

The next question is “Is there a time when we should intentionally disobey the laws of the land?” The answer to that question may be found in Acts 5:27-29, “Having brought the apostles, they made them appear before the Sanhedrin to be questioned by the high priest. 'We gave you strict orders not to teach in this Name,' he said. 'Yet you have filled Jerusalem with your teaching and are determined to make us guilty of this man's blood.' Peter and the other apostles replied: ‘We must obey God rather than men!'“ From this, it is clear that as long as the law of the land does not contradict the law of God, we are bound to obey the law of the land. As soon as the law of the land contradicts God's command, we are to disobey the law of the land and obey God's law. However, even in that instance, we are to accept the government’s authority over us. This is demonstrated by the fact that Peter and John did not protest being flogged, but instead REJOICED that they suffered for obeying God (Acts 5:40-42)!

Pastor Doc

One from the archives

http://christianfunandinterests.aimoo.c ... ame_824969

I am not trying to offend babes here. If you are a babe in Christ, please find something you can readily digest. You need not read this. You will learn soon enough. I am going to declare something that is not popular. I am good at this because this is what GOD has given me to do... He lets me do some of the so-called "dirty work", the stuff most people dare not touch lest they upset the applecart or rock the boat. I am honoured. Though it is not my desire to bring strivings and divisions among my brethren, it is written in the Volume of the Book, "Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend." (Proverbs 27:17) Much of what I share touches on the strong meat of the true doctrine and I realize that the hard sayings of true doctrine are often more than what babes in Christ are able to bear. Howbeit, at some point, the servants of the Living GOD are called to mature in Christ. They are to grow up in Christ. They are required to establish the law, says the Word. Men, this means you. You can see that the present state of our nations in the world is not good. Through the licentious lies of pastors and politicians alike, man has wrought this folly on his own head. Yea, not even the said "rulers" and "authorities" of our nations obey those laws that they feign to uphold. Their constitutions are compromised and hypocrisy reigns in the proposed pinnacles of power. As Christians we should be clear on this: “There is no power but of GOD”. How is it then that corruption reins throughout our nations, even though it was so long ago declared that "the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds"? Yet, as mature men of GOD (and not necessarily as babes in Christ) is it not abundantly clear that far too many of us have failed to cast down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ? Our so-called "rulers" and "leaders" also exalt themselves against the knowledge of the Lord. Wherefore are these sons of Belial not a terror to good works? And if these devils are not a terror unto good works (though I hardly see how not) why then, do they exalt themselves against the knowledge of GOD? Do these "leaders" proclaim Christ?

Mature, Christian men ought to be ashamed if they disagree with these findings. Think of your children and your grandchildren if my words fail to ring true for you. Rather it would seem too easy for the self-congratulatory to war after the flesh and zealously support those war-mongers who do likewise; but bear with me gentlemen, as I beseech you in all good sincerity in the gospel of Liberty. Our burden is not grievous to be borne if we are indeed the children of GOD. His yoke is easy and His burden is light. GOD has called us to peace. Obey them that have the rule over you indeed. If you do well and are faithful, you needn't fear the power. Alas, how many forget that those who are a terror unto good works are no leaders at all! GOD did not call us to be sissies but to stand up for the things that are true and amen. Obey them that have the rule over you indeed. Never obey a pretender in service to an immoral law, which is contrary to the Word of GOD. I trust that some of you already know what I’m talking about: Just because the world follows their favourite puppet does not mean that Godly men and women must also follow suit. We do not obey powers, principalities, and the rulers of the darkness of this world, but follow them that walk in the true light of the Everlasting Father. We do not empower evil. We are not the servants of the anti-Christ. We must be prepared to lay down our lives, if need be, for truth’s sake and we are not to deviate or to waver: “For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed." (James 1:6) Do not waver in the ways of the LORD; but let thine eye be single unto the purpose!

“Every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God”, says the scripture. (1 John 4:3) Now I must ask you frankly, what power hath Satan over your lives? What rule do the powers, principalities, and rulers of the darkness of this world hold over the saints of the Most High GOD? Brothers, are we not called to establish the law? Wherefore do we give heed to seducing doctrines and commandments of men who so boldly exalt themselves against the knowledge of the Lord? Are we then so bewitched to declare that the faces seen on National Television are the faces of them that have the rule over us? Rather, let us purpose in our hearts to set our faces as flints before the enemy and to declare the full Bible truth! Is it not already apparent that too many pastors have sold out to the enemy and are already caught up in the snares and lies of perverse politicians? Did Paul and Peter apply to the secular government of their day for a license to preach? PREACH IT! Don't wait for the pastor's permission to preach the living truth of the only wise GOD, just preach it. Our present day leaders (so-called) are corrupt. Our rulers (so-called) care not for the things of GOD, nor do they confess Christ. PREACH IT! Why fear ye, except your works are not good? Yea, but we would be distracted by those false-dignities who are a terror to good works!

Where are the Godly rulers today? The ones who openly lift up the name of JESUS today? I will tell you where they are: They are lying in the gutters, whipped, battered, bruised, and bleeding. They are in the jail houses and are cast out of their communities, they are spat upon, ostracized, and despised of this world while so-called pastors and imposters pontificate over them to give them "a word" that they should obey them that have the rule over them. Hypocrisy! These churls have sold out to the system! They are licensed to take tithes of you because they are contracted by men who declare things like, "America is not a Christian Nation" while they proceed to mock the Word of GOD. Yea, these pretenders are a terror to good works! They exalt themselves against knowledge of the LORD and they shall be brought down to the pit for their lies. They have no power but that power granted them as a result of GOD's people allowing themselves to be misled by the very men that sign contracts and make covenants with secularist (that word "secularist" means "godless") government. Yet it should be stated that even the powers of the darkness of this present world will play into the Hands of the Living GOD in the end. Amen. I look forward to that day and I shall be glad and rejoice in it.

Hallelujah! Now as GOD’s people, let's take a closer look at this so-called "LAW OF THE LAND" thing whereby so many have suffered themselves to be brought under the yoke of bondage to the LAW OF SIN AND DEATH. What do you suppose the Law of the Land is? Is it, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do?" GOD forbid. Where is this false commandment found in the Holy Word of GOD? I encourage my brethren to read carefully what Paul and Silas did and the things they declared to the magistrates in their day in the Book of Acts, Chapter Sixteen; for they boldly spoke before the magistrates that chastised them and even withstood them! (See: verses 35 through 38). Think not that the injustices committed by magistrates against the true saints of GOD are so readily printed in your local evening news. But what is the LAW OF THE LAND? Does anyone really know? Is it, "observe all the customs and all the laws of the people do them"? Some would say yes. Nay, this is not the word given by Paul to the saints of GOD. To understand the Law of the Land, one must turn to the Law of the Lord. Turn with me to The Book of Deuteronomy, Chapter 24, and verse 4:

“Her former husband, which sent her away, may not take her again to be his wife, after that she is defiled; for that is abomination before the LORD: and thou shalt not cause the land to sin, which the LORD thy God giveth thee for an inheritance.”

Please allow me to elaborate:

"…thou shalt not cause the land to sin, which the LORD thy God giveth thee for an inheritance."

You see that “Thou shalt not”? One more time:

Thou shalt not cause the land to sin, which the LORD thy God giveth thee for an inheritance.

This is the LAW OF THE LAND: Every time someone causes the land to sin, they have broken the LAW OF THE LAND. Every time a man takes an adulteress into his bosom, he causes the land to sin. Every time a man forgives a fornicating wife and takes her back into his marriage bed “because he has forgiven her” he causes the land to sin. Let him forgive her and let him let her loose; for after that, she is defiled saith the Word. Now I know what some of you are thinking. Some of you want to say, "Oh, but that was Old Testament Law! We don't do it that way anymore!" No? Well then, that would explain the main problem.

Considering the majority of souls alive today are still living under the Old Testament law (whether they know it or not) these having failed to repent and remain unwashed, unclean, and dead in their sins, they surely don't "do it that way" and never did. In fact, I don't think there's really that much about the whole of the Old Testament they actually care about. (Sort of like our illustrious "leaders" - so-called.) They are condemned under the law. Rather, we've all been “well-informed” that it's time to burn the Ten Commandments and to cast them out of our court rooms in favour of the NEW WORLD "Ten Suggestions", so yes, "we" (meaning the world) don't do it that way and "we" never did ... But GOD's people do. GOD's people don't fornicate. GOD's people don't commit adultery. GOD's people don't cause the land to sin! Amen. GOD's people obey the LAW OF THE LAND because GOD’s people know the LAW OF THE LAND belongs to GOD. Yes indeed, this is the Old Testament Law: The Ten Commandments. Are you with me on this? The Ten Commandments are the LAW OF THE LAND!!!

Why do GOD's people obey the LAW OF THE LAND? A: Because the LAW OF THE LAND is in truth, GOD's Moral Law. GOD's Moral Law (among other laws) commonly called Common law, is found written in the Book of Deuteronomy. Now admittedly, some of the laws written in the Book of Deuteronomy are already fulfilled to them that are in Christ Jesus; but this does not mean that Christ abolished all of GOD's Moral Law. There are overlaps in the Book of Deuteronomy, such as the dietary laws wherein the laws of Levi were also regarded as GOD's Moral Law at the time that Deuteronomy was written. The Apostle Paul graciously explains to the Church which of these laws were abolished in fulfilment as these pertained to the Law of Sin and Death, which was nailed on the cross with Christ, the Son of man (our High Priest) Who became the perfect sacrifice, the old covenant being completely fulfilled in Christ Jesus. Christians need not burden themselves with such laws because Christians are not called to follow the Levite Priesthood the Israelites were commanded to follow. The New Covenant concerns the Priesthood of Melchisedec of which even the Levites paid tithes in the loins of Abraham. One need not be surprised that there are no dietary laws, or even laws concerning the circumcision addressed in the Ten Commandments. Howbeit, GOD did not abolish the Ten Commandments even though Christ fulfilled the whole of the law never falling short of the slightest jot or tittle.

Paul said of Christ, "For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us; having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace; and that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby: and came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh." (Ephesians 2:14-17) Praise GOD. And again, in another place, "But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter." (Romans 7:6 - I trust it should be evident that those who are not born again live "under the law" unto this day.) And again, "In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away." Hebrews 8:13. But GOD's Moral Law does not change.

Yea, we can have bacon for breakfast if we are able to eat it in faith, but we may not faithfully have our neighbour's wife in marriage: It is sin! "Thou shalt not commit adultery". In other words, (GOD’s words) Thou shalt not cause the land to sin! Now all things are fulfilled in Christ Jesus and we are to establish the law; for it is written: "Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law." (Romans 3:31) All things are lawful unto them that are in Christ Jesus, but not all things are expedient, or even convenient; for no person transgressing GOD's Moral Law is found in the Body of Christ; but only them that have fully repented of their sinful works and turned away from all iniquity (lawlessness). “And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: and he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.” (1 John 1:1-2) The LAW OF LAND is the LAW OF THE LORD. Don't ever think otherwise. To whom does the land belong? Why, it belongs to the LAND LORD! Those who breach the LAW OF LAND also risk being evicted by the LAND LORD. I can think of a few so-called "rulers" and "leaders" that stand to get evicted for having caused the LAND to sin. We need not obey imposters. An imposter is no dignity; but a thief and a liar. Brothers and sisters, we must be diligent. Obey only Godly rulers and obey Godly laws; by all means, obey the Law of the Land: Obey GOD's Moral Law.

May JESUS, the only wise GOD, bless you in the knowledge of full Bible truth. :D

It amazes me how readily christians will obey the laws of the land, citing romans 13, and willingly suspend their thought process. It is so easy to believe that we have a divinely appointed government and we must obey them. From an outsider, this view seems to be particularly popular in the USA, perhaps because of a belief I seem to notice that somehow the USA is special, or chosen by God, or God's representative on earth. Maybe I am wrong in my observation here, but seeing things like the pledge of allegiance makes me shudder. You can be a god-fearing christian, join the armed forces (paid for by the legal theft of taxation), and go to another country and kill people there. You can even have bible verses encoded on your rifle sight (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8474268.stm). Romans 13 seems to override a number of commandments and biblical injunctions, like Cursed is he who accepts a bribe to strike down an innocent person.' And all the people shall say, 'Amen.' (Deut 27:25).

Martin Luther quoted Romans 13 a number of times in his work "Against the Murderous Thieving Hordes of Peasants" (1525) when he encourage the Law of the Land to kill peasants who didnt want to be taxed or ruled by the Princes to "smite, strangle, and stab, secretly or publicly, and should remember that there is nothing more poisonous, pernicious, and devilish than a rebellious man.".

Apparently Romans 13 was Hitler's favourite bible verse too, although I dont have a reference to back up that one.

Regarding taxation, when asked directly about taxation I remember someone giving a really clever and vague answer, whose head is on the coin?

I'd like to ask you a question initially concerning this Arrowhead.

Do you subscribe to a positive law theory or a natural law theory? It makes a huge difference as to how one would view the law itself.

Dr. Allen

Beloved,

thanks to all of you for your answers to my question. (I'm actually working on the finising stages of a book that is pro-poly from a biblical perspective).

I think that when we ask a question from the bible its always best to answer that questions from the bible as well.

So, as far as obeying the laws of the land are concerned I would here:

Titus 3: 1 "Remind the people to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good, 2to slander no one, to be peaceable and considerate, and to show true humility toward all men."

What Paul is telling us in this verse is: (1) believers should live in peace will all men demonstrating godly humility; and (2) to "be ready to do whatever is good." That statement exacts responsibility from all of us to know what is a righteous thing and what is unrighteous. For example, the Egyptians pass a law that all baby boys should be thrown into the Nile. Would a person be serving God by following such a command? No. (I'm sure many of you could think of laws from history that ran contrary to Biblical morality).

When we then look at the government's involvement (whatever country we are from) in regulating marriages we need to ask another question: Under whose authority does marriage fall under the Government or God?

Messiah Jesus makes it clear that there is a demarcation between what falls under the jurisdiction of
the state and the authority of Almighty God.

"And He said to them, "Then render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's." Luke 20:25

So, what does the Bible tell us regarding God and marriage and our obligations to him?

"Haven't you read," he replied, "that at the beginning the Creator 'made them male and female, 'and said, 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh'? 6So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate."

This passage, that all of us have read makes it clear that God brings people together. The Messiah did not defer to Roman law regarding what made a marriage lawful. He referred to a higher principle.

Next question. Was there ever a case in scripture where a believer defied the marriage laws of the land by speaking out against them? Answer:YES! LOL

"Herod Antipas son of Herod the Great who is also known as Herod the Tetrarch was born 21 BC and died AD 39. Antipas was given the land of Galilee and Perea to rule over. He was a builder just like his father and built Tiberius along the Sea of Galilee as his capital. Antipas married first the daughter of Aretas, the Nabatean King and then later married Herodias granddaughter of Herod the Great daughter of Antipas’ brother Aristobulus. This marriage with Herodias enraged his first wife and in time caused his defeat.

After hearing of the marriage, John the Baptist came against Antipas claiming it was wrong for him to marry his brother’s daughter who had also been the wife of Philip his half-brother. Antipas threw John the Baptist in jail and then later by the wishes of Salome the daughter of Herodias by another marriage he had John beheaded. “For Herod himself had sent forth and laid hold upon John, and bound him in prison for Herodias' sake, his brother Philip's wife: for he had married her. For John had said unto Herod, It is not lawful for thee to have thy brother's wife. Therefore Herodias had a quarrel against him, and would have killed him; but she could not: For Herod feared John, knowing that he was a just man and an holy, and observed him; and when he heard him, he did many things, and heard him gladly. And when a convenient day was come, that Herod on his birthday made a supper to his lords, high captains, and chief estates of Galilee; And when the daughter of the said Herodias came in, and danced, and pleased Herod and them that sat with him, the king said unto the damsel, Ask of me whatsoever thou wilt, and I will give it thee. And he sware unto her, whatsoever thou shalt ask of me, I will give it thee, unto the half of my kingdom. And she went forth, and said unto her mother, what shall I ask? And she said, the head of John the Baptist. (Mark 6:17-24)” (see http://www.essortment.com/all/herodthegreat_rnnp.htm )

John the Baptist was jailed because he challenged Roman law regarding Herod's marriage. In the Law of God or Torah, marriage your brother's wife was unlawful. However, Roman law recognized such a union.

So, we can see from this one example that marriage falls under the authority of God and the state can never replace that. All of us should keep this in mind when we read:"13 Submit yourselves for the Lord’s sake to every human institution, whether to a king as the one in authority, 14 or to governors as sent by him for the punishment of evildoers and the praise of those who do right." I Peter 2: 13-14

Lawful marriage (be it monogamous or polygynous) is not a "human institution." John the Baptist and Jesus make that abundantly clear. Taxation, road repair, health care, on the other hand, do fall under the jurisdiction of human government.

Hi Dr. Allen,

you said "Do you subscribe to a positive law theory or a natural law theory? It makes a huge difference as to how one would view the law itself."

Please explain the difference in the two theories. Technical terms are useful when they are defined. Thanks very much.

Aarowhead :D

Positive law is an idea that people through a civil government (like our legislative body) can create a law.

Natural law ideology says that we do not create any real law but that we only recognize what is natural or within the physical laws of the universe.

That is about as short as I can make the two definitions.

Thus, in positive law a law could be created that recognizes something that is against the natural law but a natural law person and legislative body if they recognize a natural law and then write out and pass it coincides with what is already in nature.

But in the natural law side it is possible to actually fail to write out and pass a law that is already natural but then, in theory, it should recognized elsewhere (such as with the judicial branch if speaking about our American government).

These two issues play into one's perspective of how the doctrine of marriage relates to the civil sphere.

Of course, I believe that natural law is the correct view legal/law theory.

Dr. Allen

Howdy and blessings Dr. Allen,

I think that when the Messianic Age is upon us and the Messiah sits on the throne of his Father David then the world will be ruled through divine theocracy. Until then governments will do what governments do. These institutions are run by flawed individuals. We are like that too.

What I have tried to say in my reply is that its our responsibility to understand the the moral perspective that comes from scripture. When we are unaware of that perspective then we don't know if a governments policy on marriage, family and morals lines up with God's will or not.

I'm not really motivated by politics.

aarowhead:
i must admit that i am confused as to why you asked the original question in the way that you did. maybe i missed something

Blessings Steve,

I realize that my original question: "HOW CAN BELIEVERS FOLLOW THROUGH AND PARTICIPATE IN POLYGYNY WHEN IT IS ILLEGAL? -- might have been worded better. Perhaps asking: "What is the biblical support for practicing polygyny in a world where it is illegal?"

I included the quote from the author (John Thomas) because it sounded reasonable yet incredibly assumptive. I was hoping that someone would come forward point out its possible flaws. I'm a 162 pages into writing a book on morality and marriage.

Aarowhead, I think everybody understands, most debates break out here not because of disagreement but because of misunderstanding LOL

ahh, that does change the flavor of it

my blessings on your book, i pray that you do well with it

Aarowhead said:
Messiah Jesus makes it clear that there is a demarcation between what falls under the jurisdiction of
the state and the authority of Almighty God.

Exactly correct. And that state is in the wrong when forbidding marriage (1 Timothy 4:3).

Back