• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

. The Lonely Polygamist . . Brady Udall . .

Doc

Real Person
. . Hey folks, I just read a new book called "The Lonely Polygamist" by Brady Udall. It is a novel, and this tome is maxing out at 500 pages plus, BUT, I read it just about straight through.

I want to recommend this book, but I will tell you, this is not a 'Christian' book, so you need to approach it as such. There are a number of varying themes of interest to our community, and some insights that will help in your decision on your approach to Christian plural marriage.

I will be using this thread to provide you the links for this book, which is expected to be reviewed by the New York Times next week.

Here is the first link from Salon.com

The crushing loneliness of polygamy:
An exquisite new book, about a desperate husband of four and father of 28, proves the novel is far from dead

http://www.salon.com/books/fiction/?sto ... rady_udall

Blessings,

Brady Udall writes a wonderful, sprawling novel around 'The Lonely Polygamist'
By Plain Dealer guest writer Susan Ager

http://www.cleveland.com/books/index.ss ... erful.html

First off, the title is perfect.

Polygamy is alluring: mysterious to most, reeking of excess sex, power and privilege.

Loneliness is intriguing, too, familiar to most, its sadness clinging like the mustiness of an old closet.

The unlikely hero of this wonderful, sprawling novel is lanky, craggy Golden Richards, the perfect example of someone lonely in a crowd. He's a guy with four women, but they are wives: needy and resentful, conspiring, one who wears "an arsenal of miniature weaponry" in her hair, one depressed and fading.

He also has 27 children, spread among three Utah houses, "each one of them a burning spotlight of attention and need." He can quickly recite their names in order, but can't always locate the right name when he needs to. One home, at 7,000 square feet, has so few bathrooms that Golden, when he is desperate, piddles in a mop bucket in a closet.

The jaw-dropping opening pages define Golden as a guy who curses with "Oh crud," and as "a man afraid to walk into his own house." He squirts nasal spray up his nostrils to calm himself.

Not only does Golden have no peace, he gets no sex, either. He's too tired for that. He spends most of his week away, making money working in neighboring Nevada on a big building project: an addition to the Pussycat Manor brothel. This he keeps a secret, along with all his longings -- for order, for comfort, for understanding.

He is, however, only one of three narrators to this astonishing tale.

Another is his fourth and youngest wife, Trish, who lives apart in a distant duplex with her spooky daughter. She is ripe with ardor and fear.

The third narrator is 11-year-old Rusty, known as "the family terrorist." Unlike the adults, whose longings stay tucked away, Rusty's needs spill out all over, and light up his imagination with wild hopes and dark plots.

Also key in this story are Golden's lost children, especially Glory, a memorable daughter whose brief life coincided with his last period of contentment.

Oh, and then there's "the other woman," another of Golden's secrets. She complicates the story with sweet moments -- a tangled mess of Golden's what-ifs.

Every bit player in this tale is finely drawn. And certain inanimate objects add vividness: the family car -- a 1963 hearse -- and a big old couch everyone calls the Barge, which looks "sunken and exhausted, as if it had spent the night sobbing in despair." The Barge travels widely.

"The Lonely Polygamist" begins wickedly funny, then grows sad and bittersweet and tragic and even slapstick. My only disappointment is it ends too quickly and neatly, as if the author's editor is hissing, "This thing cannot exceed 550 pages!"

Still, this third novel is a profoundly satisfying read, written with a ferocious verve and authenticity, a tale of a family "all tangled up, tied to each other, tripping and flailing, thrashing around like a bunch of monkeys caught in a net."

But connected. As every family is. Like it or not.

http://www.cleveland.com/books/index.ss ... erful.html

Ok...so it's 2:30 AM and I am up reading this book. I'm not reading through it as fast as you did Doc (Mr. Speed Reader)...But it is very hard to put down at times. I'm over half way through the book. I will give a detailed review of my opinions about this book when I am done. But so far, I can say that this book is truly shedding light on many areas that I had overlooked concerning polygyny and also on areas that I was too afraid to really think about or acknowledge. It has sparked some very interesting conversations with my husband and myself. Another thing is that, so far, this book is being a strong motivator and confirmation for the reasons why I am working towards becoming a Family and Marriage Therapist who will be specializing in helping polygynous and pre-polygynous families.

Thanks for recommending this book Doc. I'm riding on a serious emotional roller coaster while reading it. It could be all of my pregnancy hormones. LOL Or, perhaps, it is not for the faint of heart or easily offended. I'm grabbing the lessons out of it.

I will give an update when I finish.

Back