• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

The modern woman's search

Pah, coffee, disgusting stuff. Should drink tea - weirdo... ;)

Sarah, I used to think coffee was less than palatable, and I would only drink it with a lot of other stuff in it. That was until I tried really good coffee. Long story, but the key was the freshness and the fact that it was a much lighter roast, which is not bitter and has amazing flavors such as nuts, honey, and chocolate <-- one of my favorites. I found I couldn't find good coffee anywhere, so I started roasting my own. Since then I have found some other good coffee, but nothing compares to a very light roast, very fresh roasted cup of black coffee.

I can enjoy coffee, or tea, but my drink of choice is WATER!
It's very dry in Arizona this time of year. I heard yesterday there are currently 17 wildfires burning in the state, and the very low humidity means you lose water faster through respiration.

I have literally poured two liters of water down in less then a minute after working outside. That was when I was nursing, during a hot spell.

I logged in the Cascades when I was a young pup. (The Applegate Valley area and just north of Keno, OR). I would go through a couple of gallons per day. It was very dry and very hot (100+) and very steep in a lot of the areas we were in. In some places about a 60% grade. The old guy I worked for was from Arizona. He weighed about 135 soaking wet, about 5'4" tall and was nothing but rawhide and sinew. He'd drink about a half gallon per day and I'd swear he was part camel! I could never figure out how he could do it.

I logged in the Cascades when I was a young pup. (The Applegate Valley area and just north of Keno, OR). I would go through a couple of gallons per day. It was very dry and very hot (100+) and very steep in a lot of the areas we were in. In some places about a 60% grade. The old guy I worked for was from Arizona. He weighed about 135 soaking wet, about 5'4" tall and was nothing but rawhide and sinew. He'd drink about a half gallon per day and I'd swear he was part camel! I could never figure out how he could do it.

Our boys are enjoying a family holiday today. Our second son is 18. The last three work days they have been hauling brush up a steep hill, in 104+ temps. We pushed the last day there off a week, so they could catch up a few things at home, and then finish this week in the pines. Hopefully next week is a bit cooler.

I grew up in the Phoenix valley, and know what it's like to work in the heat. You feel like the water your drinkin' is just running out the holes in your skin as fast as you can swallow it!
120 degrees and 16% humidity is pretty intense! I don't miss it, but maybe that's because the conditions in my kitchen are so similar. Lol. A wood cook stove, while canning, in a house that is not climate controlled, means your kitchen provides the health benefits of a sauna.
I like...... the benefits.

Long story, but the key was the freshness and the fact that it was a much lighter roast, which is not bitter and has amazing flavors such as nuts, honey, and chocolate <-- one of my favorites.
The key for me would be for it to not smell or taste like coffee, lol. It's the smell that's the main thing, and that smells even worse when I'm pregnant. At least if you like coffees like that you can buy nice ones when your out, it's much harder to buy a decent cup of tea. In Spain Samuel and I ordered tea only once, they had no idea what tea was or how to make it, and clearly didn't understand the need for it to brew. Worst cuppa I've ever had.
I can enjoy coffee, or tea, but my drink of choice is WATER!
The town I grew up in had awful water that was full of chlorine. I grew up hating water and wouldn't drink it. It wasn't until Samuel and I moved here that I found out that water can actually taste nice. Now I drink heaps of it, even in the winter.

Spring water is the best especially in the mountains. Several years ago my grandfather was hospitalized and not expected to live. (He's currently 82 and pastoring). The water in the hospital was so chlorinated that he called me and asked me to go up to a friend of his and have him take me up to a spring on the back side of the mountain and bring him some water. It was pretty funny because all of the nurses knew where his spring water was in the fridge!

This is a nice home but creepy with all that stuff. The land doesn't look good for growing anything......
Most folks now days don't care about land, or want to grow anything. You sound kinda weird to me. Lol

(All in jest, as all we care about IS land and water.)

Spring water is the best especially in the mountains. Several years ago my grandfather was hospitalized and not expected to live. (He's currently 82 and pastoring). The water in the hospital was so chlorinated that he called me and asked me to go up to a friend of his and have him take me up to a spring on the back side of the mountain and bring him some water. It was pretty funny because all of the nurses knew where his spring water was in the fridge!
When I was growing up in the Phoenix valley, my Gramps was building up in the white mountains. His old 4wd truck would haul building materials up, and barrels of water back down. It kept The truck from bouncing off the rough dirt road, and gave us awesome water to drink.

Where we live now we have a good deep well, and the water can't be beat.
I don't understand how people drink chlorinated, fluoridated water. I'd rather drink out of a stock pond!

They don't drink it. They drink either bottled water or soft drinks, both of which are sold by the same companies, ensuring a constant flow of revenue to the coca-cola company and their many bottled water and juice subsidiary brands.
The soft drinks then ruin their teeth and general health, ensuring a constant flow of revenue to the dental industry and the medical profession also...

Most folks now days don't care about land, or want to grow anything. You sound kinda weird to me. Lol

(All in jest, as all we care about IS land and water.)

Lol well yea I am a bit weird. Micro farming, canning, sewing, knitting, homeschooling, you name it.

I tend to not follow the modern day norms. So I need good workable land and water or being self reliant and taking care of my mini me isn't possible......

Lol well yea I am a bit weird. Micro farming, canning, sewing, knitting, homeschooling, you name it.

I tend to not follow the modern day norms. So I need good workable land and water or being self reliant and taking care of my mini me isn't possible......
Modern day norms leave a lot to be desired. I have always been ok with being different, and old fashioned. I see it more as being God reliant, as opposed to leaning on other men, but self reliant is how it's usually described.

I can sure relate to your list there. All great and useful pastimes and skills.

I'm so jealous, I want to be doing all those things! I have no idea how to sew or knit, I want to learn. I want to help Samuel out in the garden more. I want to be doing better at home schooling. I have all these bottles and no time or knowledge for bottling (I'm loath to call it canning, I don't put them in tins, lol). It will happen one day, I'm sure of it.
I don't think many people on here follow the modern day norms. It seems more and more people in general, as well as on here, are becoming self sufficient and returning back to the way it was. 'Leaving the system' if you will.

Ahhhh....the virtuous woman personified!

40 years ago, the women's movement determined that the only way to exemplify that a woman could be "liberated" was to leave her home, work in an office, and order other men around. As Hillary Clinton said sarcastically once: "I could have stayed at home and baked cookies" in a clear swipe at homemakers.

Go back and read Little House on the Prairie. Ma Ingalls was not a shrinking violet "baking cookies". Before modern times, homemakers would contribute to literally making a home, log by log, with her bare hands, alongside her husband and kids...the "virtuous woman". Now that's one sexy woman!!!!:):bible:;):cross:

I'm so jealous, I want to be doing all those things! I have no idea how to sew or knit, I want to learn. I want to help Samuel out in the garden more. I want to be doing better at home schooling. I have all these bottles and no time or knowledge for bottling (I'm loath to call it canning, I don't put them in tins, lol). It will happen one day, I'm sure of it.
Sarah, a song for you... (This couple lives in our area...they have 6 young stair steps so far ;))

I don't think many people on here follow the modern day norms. It seems more and more people in general, as well as on here, are becoming self sufficient and returning back to the way it was. 'Leaving the system' if you will.

FH2 no worries. You will get there. There are lots of tutorials you can follow or a bit of trial an area is good also.

Yes, many individuals see our current way of living as very fragile. It is hard to depend on a system with so many holes in it. Its quite upsetting how quickly we have given up good practical knowledge for keeping up with the Jones'. Its not that having nice things is an issue but I know I can't take it with me, nor does it guarantee my salvation.

Ahhhh....the virtuous woman personified!

40 years ago, the women's movement determined that the only way to exemplify that a woman could be "liberated" was to leave her home, work in an office, and order other men around. As Hillary Clinton said sarcastically once: "I could have stayed at home and baked cookies" in a clear swipe at homemakers.

Go back and read Little House on the Prairie. Ma Ingalls was not a shrinking violet "baking cookies". Before modern times, homemakers would contribute to literally making a home, log by log, with her bare hands, alongside her husband and kids...the "virtuous woman". Now that's one sexy woman!!!!:):bible:;):cross:

You know the sad thing about this woman's movement. Many have lost their abilities to use their brains and the basic skills in life to be able to live. Its said that most individuals under the age of 30 can't even cook. I don't quite understand this.

What I imagine: what society deems as a very attractive man and woman marry. Most of their life is about material things. When the physical attraction is dried up like a withered flower. They are 70. Everyday when its time to eat. Welcome to McDonald's can I take your order?

No, thank you as a woman. If I was a man, no, thank you!

I felt very blessed growing up. My Dad was full time A.G.R. (Army National Guard) and didn't make a ton of money. My Mom was good at making things happen, and we did more then many families with double the income. I did a lot of scratch cooking between ten and twenty. My sisters would say "There's nothing to eat," and I'd walk into the kitchen and find enough food for another weeks worth of meals. They just liked fast and easy, rather then soak and cook a pot of beans.
I eventually learned to see that lack of abundant money as a blessing. They say necessity is the mother of invention, but not being able to hire things done motivated us to learn more too. We didn't always have money to pay for shoes on my horses, and by the time I was 20 I could do that too!

We loved the Little House books, but Farmer Boy was an even more detailed look at life on a farm. I should read that again to our kidlets, as the little ones won't remember it.

We like real life, real skills, and real biblical doctrine!

Our oldest son is currently discussing polyyny with a young lady. Not because he has interest in having more then one wife, (as a young man of almost 20, with no real prospects, he has a hard time imagining having one wife) but because he knows it is biblical, and truth in doctrine matters. He isn't the sort to misrepresent himself in any way, so he discusses unpopular doctrine with his young lady friend, instead of pop culture. Thats my boy!

Jolene, I more than understand. My dad was in the air force. My mum was pretty much a stay home mum. We were far from rich lets say. No complaints there. Despite what we didn't have. I was still afforded the ability to travel the world and see quite a bit. Later in life things were a bit more of a struggle. More siblings and my parents divorcing made for a good bit of changes. I became mum's helper. Two jobs and college full-time for her. A lot of sacrifices.

Now I am a mum. I have and still fight with myself. Go take my mcats and finish my last 33 credits for my bio pre-med degree, then go to med school. Dont have to worry about income when I finish but my son than looses a mum. I also have weighed all I would have missed out on if I would have taken the next route. I can't bring myself to do it. Money is not everything.
Honestly, if my parents were well off I don't think I would have the mindset I have now. Maybe for some its not a blessing but for me it is.:p

We were pretty well off when I was young. We had a big house, lots of bedrooms, a pool etc. We never wanted for anything. My parents were sensible though, we didn't have every toy and didn't keep up with the fads. I never had to cook from scratch with barely anything in the cupboards.
My parents both worked hard for this lifestyle. My father worked full time, and my mother worked part time as a nurse. Her shift was usually 3pm-11pm. This meant that I would often see her in the morning before school, but then not see her after school or before bed. Her income went to paying off the mortgage, and financially things were pretty good.
When I was 13, my mother died from cancer. The house was paid off, we had a lot of things, but I had no mother. I would rather have had a small house and shared a room with my sister and learned how to cook food from nothing. I would rather have spent that time with my mother that instead she spent working.
We can't see the future, and I'm sure she thought that once the house was paid off she could take more time to spend with my sister and I. The reality is that we don't know what will happen, and relationships are more important than anything else. I will never go to work while my children are young and still need me. My children are my work. There's no job quite like it, no job as wonderful, and no job as hard. Our house is small, I often have to figure out what I'm going to cook tonight from scraps (usually because I haven't had a chance to go shopping), we don't have a fancy pool and we don't travel much. But my children have their mother.

Back