• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

The modern woman's search

Our oldest son is currently discussing polyyny with a young lady. Not because he has interest in having more then one wife, (as a young man of almost 20, with no real prospects, he has a hard time imagining having one wife) but because he knows it is biblical, and truth in doctrine matters. He isn't the sort to misrepresent himself in any way, so he discusses unpopular doctrine with his young lady friend, instead of pop culture. Thats my boy!

Sounds like a fine young man.

Honestly, if my parents were well off I don't think I would have the mindset I have now. Maybe for some its not a blessing but for me it is.:p

And this to me is an attitude of appreciation not only for life, And the lessons it has afforded you, but also reflects a level of charity, and honesty that doesn't blame the parents for being imperfect people.
We can't see the future, and I'm sure she thought that once the house was paid off she could take more time to spend with my sister and I. The reality is that we don't know what will happen, and relationships are more important than anything else. I will never go to work while my children are young and still need me. My children are my work. There's no job quite like it, no job as wonderful, and no job as hard.

I can only imagine how hard losing your mother must have been. I know your family is blessed by what you learned, and the value you put on your family relationships. Most of us are looking forward to meeting loved ones in the next world, that we never got to know in this one. I'm sure it will be a time of joy and rejoicing unimaginable.

Sounds like a fine young man.
I really shouldn't get started here, but
What mother would disagree?
My husband was raised by a father the age of my grandfather, and he raised men not boys. My dear husband is doing the same. I remember hearing him tell our two oldest to go dump the dump truck, and get it hooked up to the chipper. I looked at him with a big question on my face, and may have asked "Can they do that?" (They were pretty young) I watched as they did a fine job of it. They are more capable now then many men years older, because their dad pushed them, and taught them. I contributed too. I made sure they went dancing, when they were young, and not yet too self conscious. I figured their wives would thank me someday, but the senior ladies at the folk dances thank me already.

FollowingHim2 is so right about the joy and rewards of being a mom. It is really beyond me to describe how neat it is to see them grow up into men, that remind me so much of their dad. I'm blessed indeed. Encouraged too, since we have younger boys. Our youngest "little rooster" is only 7 and he's a lot like a spunky bantam rooster. Lol
It's cooled off here a bit. I'm gonna go spend some time in the garden with my kidlets.

And this to me is an attitude of appreciation not only for life, And the lessons it has afforded you, but also reflects a level of charity, and honesty that doesn't blame the parents for being imperfect people.

Jolene, I am quite fortunate. I often times hear and seen adult children blaming their parents for their lack there of and misfortune. No parent is perfect. I am not perfect nor will I ever be. Children once adults have a choice to make. They can choose a life of misery or take the knowledge they have been given to better themselves. Not that I am saying it will be a walk in the park. Cuz heaven knows its not.

I believe we all have to answer for our actions. I don't want mine to be, because of my parents I couldn't.......

I see a lot of mothers(and fathers)whose thoughts on teaching their chikdren responsibility is equal to the child taking the rubbish out once a week.The rest of the time the parents will hover to try and cater for their childrens' every whim and wish.So,then,after a mollycoddled first 18 years or so,they suddenly expect their darlings to turn into well behaved,responsible adults overnight.All of a sudden these young adults have bills to pay,a house to keep and have to work for their living.I'm sorry,no.It doesnt work that way as the modern society clearly shows us.
Whilst manual chores may be less for most folks than in the past,in an agricultural society,there is still LOTS to do just on a daily basis to keep things running.Everyone has to chip in to make things work.
Atleast if the fast food joints went out of business tomorrow,alongside supermarkets etc,my kids would know how to get their own food from the woods and fields around them.They might even skin a few rabbits to make mittens if you ask them nicely lol: )
Ok.Rant over.

I see a lot of mothers(and fathers)whose thoughts on teaching their chikdren responsibility is equal to the child taking the rubbish out once a week.The rest of the time the parents will hover to try and cater for their childrens' every whim and wish.So,then,after a mollycoddled first 18 years or so,they suddenly expect their darlings to turn into well behaved,responsible adults overnight.All of a sudden these young adults have bills to pay,a house to keep and have to work for their living.I'm sorry,no.It doesnt work that way as the modern society clearly shows us.
Whilst manual chores may be less for most folks than in the past,in an agricultural society,there is still LOTS to do just on a daily basis to keep things running.Everyone has to chip in to make things work.
Atleast if the fast food joints went out of business tomorrow,alongside supermarkets etc,my kids would know how to get their own food from the woods and fields around them.They might even skin a few rabbits to make mittens if you ask them nicely lol: )
Ok.Rant over.
Oh man, not the supermarkets! Get rid of fast food joints, but not the markets.:eek:

Awesome points. If your child can't cook his own breakfast, lunch, and dinner, then clean what they used by 8 years old....shame on you! If they can't wash and dry their own clothes using a frikkin machine by 8...shame on you!

That goes for sew a button, hem a pant leg, iron a shirt, cut the lawn, hammer a nail....and on it goes. By 8-9 years old, most life skills should be mastered...that includes Bible Study!

ROTFL......
Mojo, don't you know kids should be kids. By the time they're teens its the fun years. Time to experiment and enjoy life before they become adults.

Oh look, we have immature adults now stuck in their teenage yrs. It also doesn't help that we are a lawless society and morality is quite questionable.

We have long told our kids that growing up isn't something that magically happens when you turn 18, or 20. Being an adult means you do what needs to be done, when it needs to be done.
It is accepting responsibility, not just claiming a particular age, that is the real reflection of your maturity.

Someone once said that the true measure of a man was what he thinks about, when he doesn't have to think. Following that concept, I tell my kids that the measure of a child is what he(or she) does without having to be told.

There is a lot of repetition that cannot be avoided when raising a large family, as each child needs to be taught, but daily chores really shouldn't have to be instructed daily. ;)

We have long told our kids that growing up isn't something that magically happens when you turn 18, or 20. Being an adult means you do what needs to be done, when it needs to be done.
It is accepting responsibility, not just claiming a particular age, that is the real reflection of your maturity.

Someone once said that the true measure of a man was what he thinks about, when he doesn't have to think. Following that concept, I tell my kids that the measure of a child is what he(or she) does without having to be told.

There is a lot of repetition that cannot be avoided when raising a large family, as each child needs to be taught, but daily chores really shouldn't have to be instructed daily. ;)
Which is why, besides a low birth rate, we have to import workers from other countries. Unfortunately, the less privileged usually come here appreciating hard work more than our native born brats.

Which is why, besides a low birth rate, we have to import workers from other countries. Unfortunately, the less privileged usually come here appreciating hard work more than our native born brats.
My husband went through workers like crazy, back before our boys were old enough to work. Some would work a day before quitting, some would only work a couple of hours. Now days people want an easy job, that pays enough for gym membership, rather then a job that makes 'em sweat.
I've never been able to understand that, as I'd much rather muck out a barn then lift weights. One more way I'm odd. Lol

We have a children's book called Tuttle's Red Barn about the oldest family owned farm in America. It starts with the first Tuttle that came to this country, then every chapter introduces the Tuttle of the next generation, and tells you that he wasn't afraid of hard work. I like that book!

My husband went through workers like crazy, back before our boys were old enough to work. Some would work a day before quitting, some would only work a couple of hours. Now days people want an easy job, that pays enough for gym membership, rather then a job that makes 'em sweat.
I've never been able to understand that, as I'd much rather muck out a barn then lift weights. One more way I'm odd. Lol

We have a children's book called Tuttle's Red Barn about the oldest family owned farm in America. It starts with the first Tuttle that came to this country, then every chapter introduces the Tuttle of the next generation, and tells you that he wasn't afraid of hard work. I like that book!
I have an indoor job, but I'm outside working on/at/in my house whenever I get a chance, even the height of summer. It's so flipping funny when I ask guys from my church or elsewhere to work with me (for pay of course). I've had football players, martial artists, weightlifters, and all types. I I've been more than twenty years older than some, and I outwork them all, even with my expanded waistline. There's barbell strength, and then there's working man strength, and they ain't the same.

It's so amazing to me how some men will make time (hours!) to go to the gym and work out, but their houses are falling apart, or have yards that look like crap. Or, they hire people to do their gardening...huh? Get out of the gym (it's full of germs anyway) and get outside!

There's barbell strength, and then there's working man strength, and they ain't the same
This is so true! Some of the guys hubby hires look strong, or even stronger then my guys, but they have fluffy marshmallow muscles that can't get the logs up in the truck as well.

This is so true! Some of the guys hubby hires look strong, or even stronger then my guys, but they have fluffy marshmallow muscles that can't get the logs up in the truck as well.
It's a different type of muscle building. I used to do the whole gym and barbell thing too, but those workouts are designed to use heavy weights in short bursts to develop the size of the muscle. Doing repetitive movements with less weight, over long periods of time develops muscle endurance.

Well said... While growing we were almost poor but, always had our mom and it made a big difference in our self esteem and stability. Our dad was a good role model too, lived and died for us. There are forces that would like to see families broken and they are in high places all over. We need to try not to be normies about this and many things.

While mom was dying of cancer I had an interesting conversation with her surgeon who told me they wouldn't treat her unless she agreed to surgery. I asked him if there might ever be a cure for cancer.. He said 86% of profits at the hospital are from cancer, what is incentive for a cure? He makes a living of it too and a good one. So, I got a rare glimpse of reality. Glad my cognitive dissonance didn't kick in at that moment. lol

While mom was dying of cancer I had an interesting conversation with her surgeon who told me they wouldn't treat her unless she agreed to surgery. I asked him if there might ever be a cure for cancer.. He said 86% of profits at the hospital are from cancer, what is incentive for a cure? He makes a living of it too and a good one. So, I got a rare glimpse of reality. Glad my cognitive dissonance didn't kick in at that moment. lol
I ascribe to that conspiracy theory. Cancer is big business.

So are defense and homeland security.... ;)

Couldn't resist. :rolleyes: Love ya, bro! :)
We agree.

Homeland Security is the biggest waste of budget imaginable. It's a crock pot load of feces.

I've had numerous family members employed by the white and blue collar side of the Defense contractor industry. Some told me stories of guys clocking in, finding a fuselage, going behind a curtain, sleeping for hours, clocking out for lunch, then napping again, and finally going home without a single thing done. Those $200 hammers are no exaggeration either.

It is big business, but its the only part of the budget I'm willing to overlook an inbalance. It's better than the alternative in my mind.

I'll avoid the conspiracy implications of the defense industry, though. :rolleyes:

So are defense and homeland security.... ;)

Couldn't resist. :rolleyes: Love ya, bro! :)
Exactly, we are like cattle resources to the beast system. The beastie media scare us with Sharia law, how about Talmudic law for gentiles. According to it, we are like cattle that should be exploited and not protected. That sounds pretty prejudice to me. Is just one layer..

We agree.

Homeland Security is the biggest waste of budget imaginable. It's a crock pot load of feces.

I've had numerous family members employed by the white and blue collar side of the Defense contractor industry. Some told me stories of guys clocking in, finding a fuselage, going behind a curtain, sleeping for hours, clocking out for lunch, then napping again, and finally going home without a single thing done. Those $200 hammers are no exaggeration either.

It is big business, but its the only part of the budget I'm willing to overlook an inbalance. It's better than the alternative in my mind.

I'll avoid the conspiracy implications of the defense industry, though. :rolleyes:
The empire will have some waste. Tax payers will pay and obey so they don't care.

Back