• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

The New Covenant | Whats your understanding ?

JudahYAHites

Male
I have seen this question come up a few times and I have just read this as a response on another thread

What new covenant?

There seems to be an undercurrent of discordant understanding or belief on here regarding this, so I am interested in reading all viewpoints, maybe I have missed something, maybe you have missed something, maybe we have all missed something.

So...

What is YOUR understanding of The New Covenant?

I will just leave a few scriptures here to lay a foundation.

Jeremiah 31:31 KJV — Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

Luke 22:20 KJV — Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you.

2 Corinthians 3:6 KJV — Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

1 Corinthians 11:23-26 KJV — For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread: And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me. After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me. For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

Hebrews 8:8 KJV — For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:

Hebrews 8:13 KJV — In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

Hebrews 9:15 KJV — And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

Hebrews 12:24 KJV — And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.

I have seen this question come up a few times and I have just read this as a response on another thread

There seems to be an undercurrent of discordant understanding or belief on here regarding this, so I am interested in reading all viewpoints, maybe I have missed something, maybe you have missed something, maybe we have all missed something.

So...

What is YOUR understanding of The New Covenant?

I will just leave a few scriptures here to lay a foundation.

Jeremiah 31:31 KJV — Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

Luke 22:20 KJV — Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you.

2 Corinthians 3:6 KJV — Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

1 Corinthians 11:23-26 KJV — For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread: And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me. After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me. For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

Hebrews 8:8 KJV — For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:

Hebrews 8:13 KJV — In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

Hebrews 9:15 KJV — And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

Hebrews 12:24 KJV — And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.
There’s a couple of threads dedicated to this but the gist of the questions (probably mine) is the the new covenant is not defined or laid out. The Jeremiah 31/Hebrews 8 covenant is with Israel and isn’t in effect yet. I’m not denying that there is a new covenant, I’m confused as to what it’s provisions are and how it’s entered into and how it’s violated.

The phrase gets thrown around endlessly but it doesn’t appear to be an informed idea for most people, just a catch-all phrase used to mean post-Christ.

There’s a couple of threads dedicated to this but the gist of the questions (probably mine) is the the new covenant is not defined or laid out. The Jeremiah 31/Hebrews 8 covenant is with Israel and isn’t in effect yet. I’m not denying that there is a new covenant, I’m confused as to what it’s provisions are and how it’s entered into and how it’s violated.

The phrase gets thrown around endlessly but it doesn’t appear to be an informed idea for most people, just a catch-all phrase used to mean post-Christ.
Thanks I have found your thread here

Thread 'MEAT!!!!!!!! What is the "New Covenant"?' https://biblicalfamilies.org/forum/threads/meat-what-is-the-new-covenant.15712/

Your post raises good questions and points here

Recently @Asforme&myhouse started a thread loosely based on a suggestion I had made about defining what the "New Covenant" is. We hear about it a lot but I don't know that anyone has ever really defined it for me and shown in scripture where and when it was made and what it entails.

I want to cut through a some of the fog first though. The "New Covenant" is not in Jeremiah 31:31. I know that Jeremiah 31:31 says the phrase "new covenant" but it also says that it's with Judah and Israel and since Israel still hasn't shown back up yet that covenant is so new it hasn't been driven off the lot yet. It still has that new covenant smell because it's still at the dealership.

So what scripture do we go to find the new covenant that we're operating under? Certainly the book of Hebrews talks about a "new covenant", although in chapter 8 it is indisputably quoting Jeremiah 31:31 including the direction of the "new covenant" towards Judah and Israel. It seems to me that we're going to have to deep dive into Hebrews to answer this question of what is the "new covenant".

I'm going to give you my hypothesis. The answer seems to be in Hebrews 9:8-15. The new covenant is the one time substitution of Christ for the sacrifice and the removal of the Tabernacle and especially the Holy of Holies which we're allowed to enter now. I believe that Christ Himself points us to this conclusion at The Last Supper when He, as related in Mark 14:24 when He said, "This is my blood of the new covenant, which for many is being poured out." (YLT) This is laid out very clearly in Hebrews 9 again although a more intense focus should be placed on verses 12-15. Although I am not trying to avoid verse 10 which could possibly be easliy misconstrued.

Now some one is going to want to point out that I'm contradicting myself, I claim that the Jeremiah 31:31 covenant hasn't been put in to effect yet and then show that covenant is reference in Hebrews 8 and that Hebrews 9:8-15 defines the new covenant of Christ's sacrifice. Is the new covenant in effect of not? It's a fair question. My working theory right now is that the writer of Hebrews was using the prophesy of Yahweh's future new covenant with Judah and Israel as an example that He will make new covenants plural. It's a working theory and might now stand up to scrutiny.

Also, we should pay special attention to Hebrews 8:13 where we are told that the old covenant is "ready to vanish away," not that it had already passed away. This is important because at the point of this writing Christ had been crucified, risen and ascended and the Holy Spirit had come. If the old covenant hadn't passed away by that time when would it have?

Also, can anyone find an Old Testament reference to the Law being a covenant. Its entirely possible I didn't look hard enough because I haven't found it yet. Please keep this thread narrowly focused on defining the various covenants. We can take our conclusions here back to other threads to beat each other over the heads with.

So here is my challenge, show me what the new covenant is. Where it is. When it started and what it requires of us.

Taking into account your last questions I will add one at the end for all to answer.

1. What is your understanding of what the new covenant is ?
  2. Where is the new covenant?
  3. When did the new covenant start ?
  4. What does the new covenant require from us ?
  5. What are the specific differences between the old and new covenant?
  6. Has anyone's doctrinal position and understanding changed or shifted after reading through or partaking in @The Revolting Man thread linked above?
(My intention for this thread is the sharing of everyone's position and understanding, hopefully it won't devolve into debate)

Thanks I have found your thread here

Thread 'MEAT!!!!!!!! What is the "New Covenant"?' https://biblicalfamilies.org/forum/threads/meat-what-is-the-new-covenant.15712/

Your post raises good questions and points here

Taking into account your last questions I will add one at the end for all to answer.

1. What is your understanding of what the new covenant is ?
  2. Where is the new covenant?
  3. When did the new covenant start ?
  4. What does the new covenant require from us ?
  5. What are the specific differences between the old and new covenant?
  6. Has anyone's doctrinal position and understanding changed or shifted after reading through or partaking in @The Revolting Man thread linked above?
(My intention for this thread is the sharing of everyone's position and understanding, hopefully it won't devolve into debate)
I don’t remember being this lucid in this conversation. I wonder what conclusions I drew. It sounds like I was on to something.

Back