• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

The Single Plural or The Plural Single?

Doc

Real Person
It seems like a contradiction in terms, but how else would you describe someone who believes in plural marriage, but is not currently in a covenantal relationship?

poly-unattached? (this might work in secular poly circles, but does it convey what we are trying to communicate from a Christian perspective?)

Any other suggestions?

Doc

A single person who believes the Bible and therefor is truly single and without friends as opposed to single with friends and unmarried. By friends I do not mean boy/girl friends I just mean friends.

____

Maybe plurally challenged.

Do you think single and non-single replies to if you can marry someone or not. So you could be a married single? I am wondering if married men can just put single on their.... because they are still available. PerhapsIt would not be lying just understanding that a word can have a different meaning in a different context? Especially if you do not have a marriage certificate. But married women could not put single down because .....

If memory serves, from the 19 years before I married the first time, and the 3 between marriages, the proper term would be "LONELY"!!!

CecilW said:
If memory serves, from the 19 years before I married the first time, and the 3 between marriages, the proper term would be "LONELY"!!!

Sounds about right. But it still does not distinguish between lonely believers in polygyny and lonely believers in the monogamy only position.

How about lonely Bible believer?

I can honestly say....I have no idea:)

Shannon :D

I appreciate the suggestions....I have been trying to think of the right label for the single Christian believer who understands plural marriage...and no one tag seems to fit....

any other ideas?

In thinking about the question, it seems to me that we may be missing the boat by making a difference between single and married with a poly qualifier. Marriage is marriage, regardless of how many wives are involved. If we marry appropriately (Biblical values), it shouldn't matter. Biblical marriage is determined by scriptural parameters, values taught in the Bible about the roles of men and women to each other and to God. If we pass by them and assume the values of the world for marriage, then it won't matter what we call our status, we will always be playing "catch up", making the best of a bad situation.

it seems to me that we may be missing the boat by making a difference between single and married with a poly qualifier

yup, i am going to go with;
available
committed, not available

as a man i do not wear a ring, signifying that i am available. my wife put on the ring as soon as we were engaged, signifying that she was committed and therefor unavailable.
i do not see that we will be able to come up with "buzz-words" that will simplify the explanation.

"lonely" that was a good one :D

Back