• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Thermals

NVIII

Seasoned Member
Male
I know we have gun buffs. Anyone with experience to help me navigate the thermal optic maze? Online reviews seem to all be sponsored.

Will be used with 5.56. Primary purpose will be coyote control around sheep. Need to be able to identify out to 500yds. Don't need a Cadillac, just what will get that job done. Over $5,000 would feel like breaking the bank, but I guess hard limit would be $8,000.

Ohh, now this is something I'm interested in. It's on my to do list...

Okay, this industry is moving so fast that it might be a good idea to wait a few months. Digital night vision is on the cusp of breaking out. It is already serviceable but it might be about to bypass thermal.

I’m assuming you’re talking about a scope and not a headset?

Okay, this industry is moving so fast that it might be a good idea to wait a few months. Digital night vision is on the cusp of breaking out. It is already serviceable but it might be about to bypass thermal.
This is why I've been holding off. I could cash out of BTC and get a real nice one but I've been pinching my pennies tighter than a politician with his own wallet.
I’m assuming you’re talking about a scope and not a headset?
Good clarifying question.

Settled on this, but did not pay that price: https://www.agmglobalvision.com/thermal-imaging/thermal-weapon-sights/agm-adder-ts50-384

If y'all want a good deal on thermals and nightvision, check out Outdoor Legacy. Superb customer service, prices often lower than MSRP, free shipping available, and no sales tax if you ship to somewhere outside of Texas.
Can one really identify a coyote at 500 yards in the dark with something like this? I have only briefly played with someone else's handheld thermal unit, and wouldn't have thought something like that possible. Now you have me wanting to outfit a rifle with a night scope of some sort. Looks pretty slick 👍

Can one really identify a coyote at 500 yards in the dark with something like this? I have only briefly played with someone else's handheld thermal unit, and wouldn't have thought something like that possible. Now you have me wanting to outfit a rifle with a night scope of some sort. Looks pretty slick 👍
I took it for a test run last night. I was able to identify a deer, armadillo, and coyote at about 200 yards. I don't really have shots longer than that on my property. I did immediately wish I was rich to see what the higher-end models could do, but it was plenty good for that range. I've attached a couple stills from the video. Identification will always be easier with movement, but idk how to attach videos here. The coyote I actually missed in real time because I was scanning too quickly, and my wife noticed it in the playback.

20230531221706822.jpg20230531214005679.jpg

I took it for a test run last night. I was able to identify a deer, armadillo, and coyote at about 200 yards. I don't really have shots longer than that on my property. I did immediately wish I was rich to see what the higher-end models could do, but it was plenty good for that range. I've attached a couple stills from the video. Identification will always be easier with movement, but idk how to attach videos here. The coyote I actually missed in real time because I was scanning too quickly, and my wife noticed it in the playback.

View attachment 5044View attachment 5045
Looks pretty cool 👍

I used a thermal scope in the 90s that would let me read name tapes at 1,100 meters. It was of course very large and vehicle mounted and used massive amounts of power but it was absolutely jaw dropping in what it could do.

Back