• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Thoughts on slaves chasing skirts

Bartato

Seasoned Member
Male
The apostle Paul frequently introduced himself as the slave/bondservant of Jesus Christ. James said the same thing, as did Jude. I think this is the normal and proper attitude of the redeemed.

In the gospels, Jesus Christ made it very clear that He regards Himself as our Lord.
In fact, that is the Christian confession.
"Jesus Christ is Lord, and God has raised Him from the dead".

This slavery is something we joyously and enthusiastically embrace when we are born again to a new and living hope in the Person and Work of Jesus the Christ. The heart that overflows with Living Water lives to please the Master. The man who finds the Treasure in the field joyfully sells everything to buy that field.

If we are His, we truly no longer belong to ourselves. Likewise, everything we have comes from His hand. We are His stewards. My body is a stewardship. My wife is a stewardship. My land is a stewardship. My wealth is a stewardship. I belong to Him, and I recognize that everything else does as well.

I've been thinking recently about the way slaves ought to get wives. Slaves aren't supposed to chase women. Slaves do not belong to themselves. Rather, they and all that they possess belong to the master. The good slave does not concern himself with seeking his own good. Self exaltation and self gratification are far from his mind.

Rather, the good slave sets himself wholeheartedly about doing the Master's bidding. Paul did. Stephen did. Daniel did. Jude did. That is the expectation.

If the master wants his slave to have a wife, then he will give him one. My Master has given me one, and she is a very great blessing to me. I will cherish her.

I think the desire for additional wives can be (and in my case was) an offense of ingratitude against the Master, and can (and did) also reveal a weakness of or lack of faith. It was as though I thought either:
1. He doesn't know what is best for me.
2 He is unable to provide what is best.
3. He is unwilling to provide.

Each of those is an insult against the Son of Man. He knows what I need. He is both willing and able to provide everything I need.

Let's not seek or crave wives. Let's seek the face of Christ, and crave His good pleasure. He will give us whatever He wants us to have, and it will be blessed.

Proverbs 18:22 Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing, and obtaineth favour of the Lord.

I found my wife, I found a good thing and obtained favor from the Lord. If I find another who needs a husband, I will find another good thing, and obtain more favor of the Lord.

I am not seeking or craving another wife. Be careful in your newfound zeal to put away your own sin, that you don't impute sin on others.

Let's not seek or crave wives. Let's seek the face of Christ, and crave His good pleasure. He will give us whatever He wants us to have, and it will be blessed.

200.gif

Let's not seek or crave wives
“Let’s not crave wives.”
There, fixed it for you.

You are starting to remind me of an of joke.
Why did the Christian cross the road?
To get in the other ditch.

Proverbs 18:22 Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing, and obtaineth favour of the Lord.

I found my wife, I found a good thing and obtained favor from the Lord. If I find another who needs a husband, I will find another good thing, and obtain more favor of the Lord.

I am not seeking or craving another wife. Be careful in your newfound zeal to put away your own sin, that you don't impute sin on others.
It would be improper for me to assume that all others have the same failings as I. Many do not.

Likewise it would be exceedingly foolish for me to assume that no others face similar temptation or sin.

"No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man..." ( 1 Corinthians 10:13 NKJV)

I think my failing is a common one. I believe it to be something that many men (including some here) are prone to.

If it does not apply to you, then I truly praise God for that!

Why did the Christian cross the road?
To get in the other ditch.
Perfection.
It would be improper for me to assume that all others have the same failings as I. Many do not.
Likewise it would be exceedingly foolish for me to assume that no others face similar temptation or sin.
"No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man..." ( 1 Corinthians 10:13 NKJV)
I think my failing is a common one. I believe it to be something that many men (including some here) are prone (vulnerable) to.
Fixed it for ya. While I applaud you for taking a step back and focusing on your wife, finding joy and fulfillment in her first. It might be wise to spend some time ruminating on this new turn in your life and living in the moment. Love your wife fully and well. Let yourself have time to settle into a steady state. It's equally hazardous to swing from one extreme to the opposite extreme.
In the same way I and others like me try and calm down a brother who has newly come into the understanding polygyny is acceptable before God and gung ho about finding a second wife, realize we're here trying to settle you down into being in the here and now with your current wife. Don't allow yourself to be buffeted about with every changing wind of doctrine. Press on towards the mark. Focus on today with your wife. And like I always say. Do Good Things!
If it does not apply to you, then I truly praise God for that!
Amen!

The apostle Paul frequently introduced himself as the slave/bondservant of Jesus Christ. James said the same thing, as did Jude. I think this is the normal and proper attitude of the redeemed.

In the gospels, Jesus Christ made it very clear that He regards Himself as our Lord.

This slavery is something we joyously and enthusiastically embrace when we are born again to a new and living hope in the Person and Work of Jesus the Christ. The heart that overflows with Living Water lives to please the Master. The man who finds the Treasure in the field joyfully sells everything to buy that field.

If we are His, we truly no longer belong to ourselves. Likewise, everything we have comes from His hand. We are His stewards. My body is a stewardship. My wife is a stewardship. My land is a stewardship. My wealth is a stewardship. I belong to Him, and I recognize that everything else does as well.

I've been thinking recently about the way slaves ought to get wives. Slaves aren't supposed to chase women. Slaves do not belong to themselves. Rather, they and all that they possess belong to the master. The good slave does not concern himself with seeking his own good. Self exaltation and self gratification are far from his mind.

Rather, the good slave sets himself wholeheartedly about doing the Master's bidding. Paul did. Stephen did. Daniel did. Jude did. That is the expectation.

If the master wants his slave to have a wife, then he will give him one. My Master has given me one, and she is a very great blessing to me. I will cherish her.

I think the desire for additional wives can be (and in my case was) an offense of ingratitude against the Master, and can (and did) also reveal a weakness of or lack of faith. It was as though I thought either:

Each of those is an insult against the Son of Man. He knows what I need. He is both willing and able to provide everything I need.

Remember the parable of the talents. Your slavery comes with a duty to increase your Master’s wealth. The slave’s wife is another slave for the Master. The Master greatly desires for the slave to bring increase through initiative.

Remember the parable of the talents. Your slavery comes with a duty to increase your Master’s wealth. The slave’s wife is another slave for the Master. The Master greatly desires for the slave to bring increase through initiative.
An excellent point! If I was a slave and went out and found me a wife cause why not, then my master's household would be increased! It's kind of like if I went and learned a new skill, then my master would have a new skill in his household. My master is Christ, and He said to make disciples. More disciples --> bigger household, more brethren, more family.

One of the biblical reasons for marriage is to satiate one’s sexual hunger, be it one marriage or more than one. Scripture doesn’t restrict the number for a man. OBVIOUSLY THIS IS NOT THE ONLY REASON TO MARRY, but it is a valid reason given in Scripture. It is given as an option to help prevent sinful behavior. The marriage bed is undefiled, and Scripture doesn’t specify one marriage bed per man. If on a personal level you feel that you are doing wrong by the Master, then repentance before the Lord is a good thing. Whatever is not of faith is sin. Just be careful not to bind other men’s consciences by your own level of faith and your own calling. Blessings brother.

So much excellent advice already given and all well worth consideration.

Looking around the assemblies it seems there are many possibilities for additional wives which God has jammed in the faces of Christian men. He has saved these women and there are not enough men to match them one-for-one, so the only possibility is for some men to have more than one.

If the master wants his slave to have a wife, then he will give him one.
How is the Master going to make it any more obvious than He already has with the difference in ratio between women and men in the assemblies? His plan is for people to be in relationships, to be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth. So, stick with the plan.

It seems that link for advice from our resident expert is needed. I'm fast reader and it me over hour to read it fully.

Meet Eristhophanes:

You are all far too much in spiritual and overusing head on shoulders. Me too also☺, but you getting crazy. Show some passion toward Lord's most beatiful creation instead of thinking.

He didn't make women beatiful and keep all their beauty just for Himself.

Back