• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Tirtza Something that is heavy on my heart

I spoke to an attorney who advised that as long as we don't file taxes together or cause any problems, for example domestic violence, that there's very little likelihood we would ever be prosecuted for polygamy.

It's a very difficult balance for us all...but still worth it!
generally, state agencies are more liberally minded than not...

Last edited by a moderator:
since we are breaking one of man's laws

Depending on your state, it's highly unlikely you're actually breaking the law (unless you attempt to have 2 marriage licenses). And in the few states that criminalize things like cohabitation, they're never prosecuted (and unprosecutable under current USSC precedent) unless you engage in other crimes related to it. In most industries and most companies, including local governments, so long as you're not doing drugs or showing up to work drunk, they don't usually care.

That said, don't make it an issue by shoving it in their face. And ask a real lawyer; I'm not government approved to give legal advice. That's just my uninformed opinion for your entertainment.

Depending on your state, it's highly unlikely you're actually breaking the law (unless you attempt to have 2 marriage licenses). And in the few states that criminalize things like cohabitation, they're never prosecuted (and unprosecutable under current USSC precedent) unless you engage in other crimes related to it. In most industries and most companies, including local governments, so long as you're not doing drugs or showing up to work drunk, they don't usually care.

That said, don't make it an issue by shoving it in their face. And ask a real lawyer; I'm not government approved to give legal advice. That's just my uninformed opinion for your entertainment.
I did speak with an attorney and bc Oklahoma is a common law marriage state, we're married. But yes, the advice was don't make waves and you'll be ok.

These days you can change your name to anything you want for any reason. It is not just for married ladies anymore. Also, more women are NOT changing their names once married for various reasons. If you are having children with your husbands last name then it can be a little confusing that the mother doesn't have the same last name. We haven't found it to be very much of an issue. No one questions why my sister wife doesn't have her kids last name...it would be politically incorrect. :) Pray about what is best for your family.

So a question . Does any of the 2nd or 3rd wives ever change their last names to their husband's last name and if so how did it go. Just asking and wondering.
We have done both, for business purposes it seemed best to not have her change her name this time around.

Back