• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Titus 3:9-11 Avoid Dissension But avoid foolish disputes...

Polygyny....

Or, more seriously, everything. Really, everything falls into these verses with a few specifics shoved in for good measure. I would divide it up into discussion vs argument. Are you having a rational discussion with someone where you're both debating in order to learn, or are you fighting on someone on Facebook because you disagree with them? I know which one is more profitable.
Interestingly, the word foolish, can also be translated as Godless. So verse 9 could say "But avoid Godless questions and..."

I think when to debate and when to step back is something we learn over time. It comes with wisdom and discernment. I removed myself from a whole lot of groups and also unfriended some people because of this. On this forum there have been discussions I have not gotten involved in, not because I couldn't add anything profitable, but because I knew where the debate was going and it wasn't healthy.

The first retreat that Samuel went to, Doc spoke and said that he has never heard of anyone coming to the truth of PM except through the Holy Spirit. Samuel actually wrote this down and we still both remember it years later. It doesn't matter how much debating and discussing you do with someone, even though you're right, if they're not ready or willing to hear and the Holy Spirit has not opened their eyes then you're talking to a brick wall.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would include those who argue for the sake of arguing. I have a good friend who has a bad habit of this. He will debate something just to debate it. It edifies no one, and it sure doesn't bring glory to God.

There is an argumentative spirit and a mocking spirit. They often come together and have certain characteristics. You cannot win an argument with someone with an argumentative spirit because you're arguing with a demon. It's impossible. They don't agree to disagree, they don't give up, they just keep you distracted. That's their job. You'll often find that these people will purposely pick arguments and post things on FB in order to rile people up, and start YELLING for no reason. They also get 'triggered' easily.
I have a family member like that, and I just avoid arguments around this person. I will just nod and smile, or I will say that I respectfully disagree but they are welcome to think what they like.

There is an argumentative spirit and a mocking spirit. They often come together and have certain characteristics. You cannot win an argument with someone with an argumentative spirit because you're arguing with a demon. It's impossible. They don't agree to disagree, they don't give up, they just keep you distracted. That's their job. You'll often find that these people will purposely pick arguments and post things on FB in order to rile people up, and start YELLING for no reason. They also get 'triggered' easily.
I have a family member like that, and I just avoid arguments around this person. I will just nod and smile, or I will say that I respectfully disagree but they are welcome to think what they like.
You just described the POTUS.
Sorry, I know many American evangelicals love him, but this is one of the reasons I don't!
And our media falls into the trap.

Back