• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

To Know HIM - Part 1

GivenMercy

Real Person
1Co 13:2 "And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing."

Psa 27:4 "One thing have I desired of, the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to inquire in his temple."

Psa 27:8 "When thou saidst, Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, LORD, will I seek."

A form of H3824; the heart; also used (figuratively) very widely for the feelings, the will and even the intellect; likewise for the centre of anything: -

About 10 years ago I prayed one of those prayers where you THINK you know what you are asking for -- but as the answer unfolds you begin to realize you may have asked for more than you (originally) had bargained for! My prayer seemed simple enough - and it came out of a deep longing for closer fellowship with my God and Savior, "Father, I want to KNOW YOU - NOT for who men say you are - NOT for what my limited understanding of your Word says you are - and NOT for what my experiences try to say you are --- but, I want to KNOW YOU for WHO YOU TRULY ARE!" This prayer was birthed from a multitude of frustrations I had experienced in trying to make God "fit" into my understanding, experiences and what others had said about Him. I was truly hungry -- so I thought. Little did I know so much had to be "shaken" both IN and AROUND me in order for God to even begin to reveal Himself to me as He truly is!

To move ahead as quickly as possible to the topic - To Know HIM - I will only briefly describe the next several years. EVERYTHING I knew and believed was shaken to its core. Especially my faith - which I truly had thought was in God - He proved to me had not been so fully in Him as I believed! A whole church fell to pieces (through means of a pastor who had become corrupt in many ways). All the "service" I had given to God up to that point I came to learn was because I still thought I had to "earn" His approval. Although I believed Jesus had died for MY sins - and I did have a personal relationship with Him - I learned I still had a "Debt Mentality" (as if something I could do could in any way "add" to the sacrifice of God's only son!). And toward the end of this journey I found out all the "lies" that had been built into today's "Christianity" all the way back to the early days of the Catholic Church. (Everything from pagan holidays covered up with "Christian" celebrations - to the truth regarding "marriage"!) Needless to say, God brought the "house of cards" down in my life - in order "that those things which cannot be shaken, may remain."

Re: To Know HIM - Part 2

(I tend to write a little lengthy - so thought it best to put this in two "parts")

During part of that journey there was a "season" where He brought me (and my husband - since we were - and are - "one" it is not surprising that God revealed these things to us both - but His story is His own - and so I only share mine for now :) )............ a LOT of knowledge - both from His Word and from historical documents (revealing to us the "traditions of men" that had made His Word "of no effect"). We both still study God's Word for knowledge (b/c God does say His people parish for lack of it)....... BUT, all of this was not so I could just be made "knowledgeable" - for as I Cor 13 states above - without love, it is all meaningless (I am nothing). God's purpose in all the "shaking" and then giving true knowledge was not for me to pursue knowledge more than Him, it was only the path that He had to form in order to bring me to a place where I could truly get to "know HIM for WHO HE TRULY IS".

And, so now, I live each day to know Him More....... to seek His Face.......... to "dwell" in his house (presence) ALL the days of my life!!! I continue to study His Word - to "grow in the grace and the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ" ----- but now I do this from a different perspective. In no way do I claim to have "arrived" (how could I? even Paul said he could not claim this!) -- in other words, I don't claim to have all the answers. But now, I also spend time just being in His presence - thanking Him (praise - for what He has done), "being still" at times before Him, worshipping Him (just for WHO He IS!), loving Him with all my heart, soul, strength and mind (and just when I think I am really doing that - He reveals something else in me that He needs to deal with in order for me to love Him even more fully!).

Yes, we need to "study to show ourselves approved unto God.......... rightly dividing the Word of Truth"............ but above all else God created us for relationship. There are plenty of "Topics" relating to knowledge - and the seeking and sharing of it. As a "balance" in our fellowship here on this site, I would like to add this thread as a place just to share personal testimonies of God's grace - praises for what He has done - and to worship Him for He is Worthy of ALL glory and power and honor!

Peace & Blessings!

Shari

HalleluYah!!!
to know him as he wants us to know him is truly the only real foundation for a real relationship.
Anything else is simply our own fantasy, and gets us in trouble fast.

Face,
I agree with you where you wrote "to know him as he wants us to know him is truly the only real foundation for a real relationship."
To know the Lord, to serve Him...... to have that personal relationship with Him......to be intune with what He is doing in our lives.........to be able to sit quietly and to hear Him in the sound of the wind or the flutter of the wings of a humming bird..........One does not need to be a " Bible Brain " or have vast knowledge of scripture, to have a relationship with our Lord and to know HIM. Knowledge is good and knowing the word is great......But in this simple mans Humble Opinion and being an ole time style country preacher like my great grandfather was, being able to have that close relationship with the Lord and being intune with Him is just GRAND!!!!

The more we get to know God, the more we come to understand His great love for us. I don't know that we will ever fully realize the depth of His love for us - but the more we receive of it the deeper we find it is. I was thinking on two verses today:

I John 3:1 "Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us that we shall be called children of God...."

I John 4:8 "There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment...."

A couple of interesting things God is working in me lately -- regarding my comprehending His love for me (more and more as I spend time with Him and in His Word).........

I am able to more fully receive (believe) who HE says I am in His Word (such as I AM the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus - II Cor. 5:21), which I am only able to do by receiving His love and grace (in other words there is nothing I do to "earn" this). And by believing and receiving more of His love for me I find I have less and less "fears" in my life (now that is an testimony of its own -- and would take a whole book, really, to even begin to describe all the fears that used to control my life!)..... and the less fear I have - the more I am able to love others AND even am able to receive love from others (without being full of suspicion - which is a type of fear)! This has been VERY helpful in my being able to walk in love in this plural relationship I am now in.

What an awesome God we serve - that He not only would seek us out to save us - but to continually reach out to us with His love!

Shari

Back