• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

TOO YOUNG TO JAIL?, or Short-Circuiting the Impulse to Let Everyone Off the Hook

I think that @Maddog is saying that forcing somebody to work to repay their debt (restitution) can be seen as a form of slavery. If viewing slavery as 100% evil, you can no longer force someone to repay their debts.
That’s the way that I took it, and I totally agree with him.

I just got home from two hours in a room with eight men, six with multiple live sentences. One of which pulled the trigger on at least ten people and ordered at least as many additional killings. No one stands guard over me other than the Lord's warriors. It was a good evening discussing what having a moral compass with God at its north means.

Nature has order and sometimes it is brutal. Megan attests to that on the ranch. We strive to not be brutish but our best intentions are usurped in the Darwinian drive to cull the less capable in favor of the strong. Dan Bongino says FAFO. "Fu** Around and Find Out".
Coddling bad behavior rarely turns out good for anybody. Teenage deaths from the fentanyl epidemic bring that to light. One pill and *poof* lights out. (I have a classmate that lost his 17 year old son. One never "finishes" mourning their son. I haven't either.)
Sorry about your son Sir

I think that @Maddog is saying that forcing somebody to work to repay their debt (restitution) can be seen as a form of slavery. If viewing slavery as 100% evil, you can no longer force someone to repay their debts. This goes a way to explain why punishments for criminals revolve around "time out" (jail) and sometimes capital punishment, but less restitution.

We obviously haven't gone completely down this track as we still have sentences of community service as a form of punishment, which is a form of slavery - but it is slavery to the community as a whole, just as compulsory military service is slavery to the community. We don't mind slavery to the community. What has been made unthinkable is slavery to an individual - and that means no restitution. A criminal can be expected to "pay their debt to society", whatever that means, but not be expected to pay their debt to their victim.
Then perhaps the Community owes a debt to the victim, but then again, we do have community shelters, so SOME fo the victims DO get a form of retribution. It would be very difficult for an individual to ensure that his slave does the work, provided there actually is work that needs to be done, much less keep the slave from pulling an Onesimus and high tailing it out of there.

Then perhaps the Community owes a debt to the victim, but then again, we do have community shelters, so SOME fo the victims DO get a form of retribution. It would be very difficult for an individual to ensure that his slave does the work, provided there actually is work that needs to be done, much less keep the slave from pulling an Onesimus and high tailing it out of there.
What the community owes everyone is justice, which would include any slavery that would be involved in full restitution.

The term Slavery is a "third rail" of impassioned discussion, the rail most likely to electrocute discourse however, lets go there- slavery is the ownership of an otherwise autonomous and independent person for reasons clearly defined. The winner of war like conflict where might has overcome another people grouping allows for the limited ownership of another person. Case in point is Concubinage. But as such even the concubine is protected to an extent. Another example is where the offender does not make appropriate recompence for offenses. What are other instances of the "community" being offended and payment is exacted through slavery? I thought naively that offenses were to an individual but community has the requirement to carry out punishment if the offended does not have the ability to enforce. In today's society the community(read that the judicial system) steals from the victim and puts repayment by perpetrator into their own coffers. I have witnessed this first hand by a friend's situation.

Back