• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Tough economic times, and plural families

nathan

Administrator
Staff member
Real Person
Male
So, are people less, or more, likely to be attracted to living plurally during uncertain, depressed times?

What are some of the ways that plural families are a blessing in these times? The biggest obvious one being perhaps the 'economies of size' - sharing a house, sharing vehicles, sharing child-rearing duties, and more.

What are some practical tips that you have to offer on taking advantage of family size, during any economic season? (I know the ladies have a 'thrifty' thread, but guys can be good stewards too). This doesn't have to be just financially related - anything you think might be useful to people is welcome.

You know, this is pure speculation on my part but I would think that women would be more likely and men less.

I think in times like these women are more inept to see what PM has to offer. PM offers a safety that single life doesn't offer. Such as financial security, family security, and if it is done right dream security!

Financial Security- Just like Nathan said things such as sharing a house, car, cut child care cost, less for food (I have found out) cause when you make big meals for some reason since we have had guest there are 12 people in the home till Feb, It has cost us less for groceries and we all seem to eat more cause we are having meals at the same time.

Family security- When you practice PM you are a family! You have the security of being in a family that will have enough love to spread for every one. All the children have a father, weather he is blood or not. There is always some one to talk to for pretty much any situation. There's a lot more as well but kids are climbing all over me and I can't think, lol. Oh yeah awsome play time with the kids!

Dreams Security- The fact of having a family who loves you and believing in you will also aspire you to make your dreams come true cause you have a family backing you up. You will find when a family backs you up it helps you to accomplish almost any thing. A good husband helps each person in his family with their dreams.

As far as the blessings well there are many that can come! My stepfather had many blessings for him self and all of his wives and children! Every one was always loved in his house and every one loved him. He was a very good man! After seeing the blessings and love he had it really made since to follow this choice in life that God has given me! I believe God keeps giving me house holds with up to 12-13 people some times to take care of, to get me ready for a very large family. Most feel like we already do have a very large family. I always tell them not yet,lol.

I had talked to a woman a while back in our church that had told me when she first became a second wife, she only did it out of a need for a stable home for her son. She admitted that at first she didn't love him. I asked her what changed her mind. She said the ways he went from being a good provider to a good father then to a good husband. Now the whole faily have recieved blessings that are so great she said she knew it was God shining on her family for her husband being faithful.
Nathan7 said:
So, are people less, or more, likely to be attracted to living plurally during uncertain, depressed times?

What are some of the ways that plural families are a blessing in these times? The biggest obvious one being perhaps the 'economies of size' - sharing a house, sharing vehicles, sharing child-rearing duties, and more.

What are some practical tips that you have to offer on taking advantage of family size, during any economic season? (I know the ladies have a 'thrifty' thread, but guys can be good stewards too). This doesn't have to be just financially related - anything you think might be useful to people is welcome.

I don't think that tough economic times are going to convince any one anything that they didn't already know. If I marry my husband because times are tough, what does that say about me? And if he refuses to marry me because he doesn't think he can afford me, what does that say about me? Wow! That makes me shallow no matter what!

On the other hand, difficult economics can bring out the best and worst in people. In poly relationships, because of how many levels of relationship are involved, it can bring out some issues that might have remained hidden during more prosperous times. I don't always handle stress well and change is a difficult thing for me to swallow. During uncertain times, I am much less likely to be able to hide these things and therefore, I could cause a lot more strife in my family, unless I am truly tuned into God.

I think that economic fires are another type of cleansing fire that God has us going through. During this last couple of years of economic downturn, we have been fortunate enough until the last three months that we have both been employed. During this time, because we have been in communion with the Lord, we have eliminated a lot of debt and gotten to a place where we can live on very little. I have also nearly completed my BSBM degree which is an investment in our futures. So as the economy starts to ease, hopefully we will be in a position to share God's message to others.

SweetLissa

The economic downturn really hasn't affected our desire to be a plural family, I guess we would agree with what Lissa said, it really shouldn't matter what the economy is doing, if the love is there then no one should hesitate to marry and spend their lives together.
Rev Gill also mentioned a good point we agree on, being in a family can make achieving dreams a lot easier I believe. Chris has helped me through LPN school, then getting my ASN degree, my BSN degree, and I'm now working on my MSN. I have helped him get his Bachelors degree, and he will be starting back for his MBA later this year. We know what each others' dreams are, and we assist each other in getting to where we want to be. Also, education is very important to us and we put a great value on working hard to achieve our educational goals. I am certain if we had another wife in the family we would also help her in this way as well. If we loved her, of course we would want her to go for whatever she wanted in life. I would also think it would be a lot easier for her to go back to school this way, versus struggling on her own to go back. Just my thoughts on this.
All in all, we would not let the economy affect our decision to live plural marriage. God called us to this, and He sure didn't mention money in that calling! LOL
:) Kacy

Nathan has a point. Monogamy has it's comfort zone basis. Economy problems can bring need and other reasons into play. Reasons are ok. Even the seeming complexities of relating in a plural home are portrayed as negatives because people do not want to invest reason into love. They would rather treat love as a higher state of being that somehow romantically drops out of the sky without cause or foundation. It comes from God, not the sky, and God includes all sorts of complexities and logic into relating to not just God but to each other. Even Eve was given because it was not good that man should be alone. That was reasoning from God which came prior to the wife (Eve) and love. Many people reason and decide to have children and the love comes when the child comes. I think endorsing plural as an escape from economic hard times is part of the logic of love.

Back